VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:19 PM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
Music (either composed and/or arranged) by:

Shiho Fujii (CD1: 2, 3, 5-8, 12, 15, 17; CD2: 2, 23)
Atsuko Asahi (CD1: 4, 9-11, 14, 16, 28; CD2: 1, 3, 6, 8, 10-15, 18, 19, 21, 22, 26, 28-31)
Ryo Nagamatsu (CD1: 13, 18, 22, 29-31, 33; CD2: 4, 32-35)
Yasuaki Iwata (CD1: 1, 19-21, 23, 24, 26, 27; CD2: 7, 24, 25, 27)
Kenta Nagata (CD2: 5, 9, 16, 17, 20)
Asuka Ohta (CD1: 32)
Masami Terui (CD1: 25)
Where did you get this information, Guitarist500? Could you post the source?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 02:28 AM

Old Jul 2, 2015, 01:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I haven't done anything with the artists here yet because I'm still in such utter disbelief that a Nintendo release would have not only composer credits, but also track-by-track performer credits, that I want to see them for myself before I link.

I'm also kind of skeptical that the booklet says "Masami Terui" in English and that that MarioWiki user isn't misreading the kanji of Satomi Terui.

I'm also kind of skeptical that Ohta and Terui are really credited as arrangers, because their two songs are directly reused from the games they composed for (MK Wii & 7) and they weren't part of MK8's music staff.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 02:08 PM
VGMdb Staff

The list of performers that was added just uses the credits from the recording session videos, right?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 07:14 AM

HOOOOOLY SHIIIIT!
Someone just adeed scans, and it's true, one page of the booklet REALLY details where every musician plays in each song. Man... This is surprising, more than this, it's historical for Nintendo to do that.

This soundtrack is TRULY a gem for any Nintendo fan, musically speaking. Can't wait to get it.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 08:10 AM

Christ, could they have made that breakdown harder to read? I barely even now what I'm looking at!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 09:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

Oh Nintendo. You start crediting composers/musicians right as Club Nintendo is about to die.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Christ, could they have made that breakdown harder to read? I barely even now what I'm looking at!
Perhaps it will be easier to read on the European release?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 01:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Impressive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I'm also kind of skeptical that the booklet says "Masami Terui" in English and that that MarioWiki user isn't misreading the kanji of Satomi Terui.
I was right

Quote:
I'm also kind of skeptical that Ohta and Terui are really credited as arrangers, because their two songs are directly reused from the games they composed for (MK Wii & 7) and they weren't part of MK8's music staff.
I was wrong! Everyone is in fact in a row titled "arrange." I'm pretty sure it's to save space though, because those songs aren't rearranged and they're not part of the "Music" staff.

EDIT:

Okay so reprises:

Mahito Yokota: 1.14 (Gusty Garden from Super Mario Galaxy)
Shinobu Tanaka: 1.20, 1.26, 1.30
Kenta Nagata: 1.21, 1.24, 1.29, 1.33
Soyo Oka: 1.23, 2.06, 2.21
David Wise: 1.25
Akito Nakatsuka: 2.02
Yumiko Kanki: 2.04
Koji Kondo: 2.08, 2.19, 2.27
Manaka Kataoka (intro - ACNL Title) / Kenta Nagata (AC Title): 2.12
Manaka Kataoka / ??? (ACNL Main Street 3): 2.13
Manaka Kataoka / Kazumi Totaka (ACWW Title): 2.14
Manaka Kataoka / Shinobu Tanaka (AC Christmas) / ??? (ACNL Main Street 3): 2.15
Naoto Ishida: 2.20, 2.30
specifics unknown: 1.18, 1.19, 1.22, 1.27, 1.28, 1.31 (?? / Koji Kondo), 2.01, 2.05, 2.09, 2.10, 2.16, 2.17, 2.31 (ACWW The Roost)

Missing any quotations or known composers?

Last edited by CHz; Jun 22, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 08:31 PM

Old Jul 3, 2015, 08:37 PM

Old Jul 3, 2015, 09:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I find it strange that Kenta Nagata and Satomi Terui are not listed as featured composers.
It's incomplete for now. I only linked the four main staff until I figure out all the reprises.

Quote:
Changing 'arrange' back to 'music' to follow the booklet.
"Arrange" is also following the booklet. In fact, crediting everyone under "music" is not following the booklet for Ohta and Terui because they're only listed on the breakdown page, which says "arrange."

Quote:
Kazumi Totaka indeed wrote the Animal Crossing Results track which comes from Wild World.
Got a source for this?

Quote:
The correct billing order according to the booklet for music credits is 'Shiho Fujii, Atsuko Asahi, Ryo Nagamatsu, Yasuaki Iwata, Kenta Nagata'. Order should be changed back to reflect this information.
Generally we list artists in tracklist order, not billing order, although we don't have a rule either way.

Last edited by CHz; Jul 3, 2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 09:33 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Generally we list artists in tracklist order, not billing order, although we don't have a rule either way.
I personally list artists in order of prominence so that the lead composer is always the first listed.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:31 PM

Old Jul 4, 2015, 03:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Doesn't matter, it says music on Booklet on page 11 too. Hayazaki and Terui should be listed under arrange but the rest should be under 'music'.
So first "arrange" is no good because it doesn't follow the booklet, then I say that it follows the booklet, and now it doesn't matter and you just want to use the part of the booklet you like? Okay?

One page has Mario Kart 8's music team of five people listed under "music." The other page has all seven people who wrote music that appears in the game, along with a track-by-track breakdown, under "arrange." So when transcribing the breakdown from that page, I used "arrange" because it's right there with the breakdown. I feel this is appropriate. In the final copy of the info I'm going to put a note about how the "arrange" credit is misleading, but right now it's just a simple copy of the booklet until I get the reprises sorted.

If including the "music" label is important to you, I don't really have a problem with adding that as an extra line somewhere in the notes; I didn't do it because I thought it would be redundant.

Quote:
http://vgmdb.net/album/10379 lists Totaka as the composer for track 23 which is the same composition.
Animal Crossing results is "The Roost" from City Folk, composer unknown I believe.

The fall track theme does use that melody though, thanks! Each of the four track themes has a common intro that I think is from another song so that's not the full story, but it's good enough to link Totaka.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 07:11 PM

It's strange that track 2.34 is titled "Good Try!" when in-game it says "Nice Try!"

I can't wait until we get scans of the English booklet and notes for each individual track
Old Jul 5, 2015, 02:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
In the final copy of the info I'm going to put a note about how the "arrange" credit is misleading, but right now it's just a simple copy of the booklet until I get the reprises sorted.

If including the "music" label is important to you, I don't really have a problem with adding that as an extra line somewhere in the notes; I didn't do it because I thought it would be redundant.
I realized that I didn't really have a reason not to make that section of the notes clearer now, so I tossed in both the "music" credit as it's printed as well as a note explaining "arrange." Does that section look any better to you now, Guitarist500?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 03:10 PM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breath20kfire View Post
There are 68 in total for this soundtrack so, my estimate is just right!
Yeah, You are actually right about it. Your estimate is perfect.

Last edited by Begather; Nov 10, 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 01:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
The only thing some others are unsure of is the billing order, they're thinking 'why list the composers in order of contribution?' It implies that Yasuaki Iwata is the lead :P
It's annoying to change, since you have to delete every artist individually and put them back in the order you want them listed.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 02:17 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
It's annoying to change, since you have to delete every artist individually and put them back in the order you want them listed.
It's been easy ever since Illidan added the mass delete feature.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 04:55 AM

Who is saxophone player for track 2.04 (Mute City)? I don't see it in notes. I want to know it, I really love this arrangement.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 01:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There actually isn't a saxophonist credited for that track in the booklet, unintentionally I'd assume. The recording video shows Masato Honma playing the solo part.

Good catch!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 08:43 AM

Many translation issues with the tracklist. US > Japan

Shy Guy Falls > Heihi (Shyguy in JP?) Mine
Dolphin Shaols > Dolphin Misaki (help me understand this one -- implication of "female" Dolphin?)
Thwomp Ruins > Dossan (Thwomp name in JP) Transfer
Cheep Cheep Beach > Puku Puku Beach
Tick-Tock Clock > Tick Tock Road
Electrodome > Electro Dream
Results > Result
Dragon Driftway > Dragon Road
Wild Woods = Nature Road
Excitebike Arena = Excitebike
Wario's Gold Mine = Wario Couchan
Super Bell Subway = Rin Rin Metro
Select (Online) > Select (Internet)
Summaries > Digest

Obvious one are everything named Toad = Kinopio

Really awful not to adapt to the English names here as seen in all the press materials, reminding us all how mechanical and boring the Japanese language can be without the English language's stylistics and alliteration!

Last edited by XISMZERO; Aug 29, 2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:00 PM

The music for this is fucking fantastic. I really need to pay more attention to Nintendo stuff.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
specifics unknown: (...) 2.12~15+31 (Kazumi Totaka and others I guess? Animal Crossing music is such a mess)

Missing any quotations or known composers?
I'm a bit late to the party XD, but let me help you with those:

All four seasonal variations of Animal Crossing feature New Leaf's "Title", which was composed by Manaka Kataoka. Now for secondary songs:

-Spring contains "Title" from the original N64/GC Animal Crossing (Dobutsu no Mori), which was done by Kenta Nagata.

-Summer has "Main Street 3" from New Leaf. No composer confirmed (although Manaka Kataoka arranged that theme for Smash Bros., so it was probably her).

-Fall has "Title" from Wild World (also used in City Folk), which was composed by Kazumi Totaka.

-Winter contains "Christmas" from the N64/GC Animal Crossing (Dobutsu no Mori), originally composed by Shinobu Tanaka (also used in New Leaf btw). It also has "7 PM" from New Leaf, which like "Main Street 3" isn't confirmed but was arranged by Kataoka for Smash.

Also:

Quote:
Animal Crossing results is "The Roost" from City Folk, composer unknown I believe.
While it does play in City Folk, that theme actually originates from Wild World. This album contains the Smash Bros. version of the theme and credits Kazumi Totaka, although I'm not sure if that was for composition or only for the arrangement. Other than that I don't know if there is any source that scrictly says Totaka composed The Roost.

Quote:
1.22 (probably Nagamatsu)
That's not possible because that song comes from Double Dash and Nagamatsu wasn't even at Nintendo then.

Last edited by RBM95; Jun 22, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 01:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMNintendoGamer View Post
This album contains the Smash Bros. version of the theme and credits Kazumi Totaka, although I'm not sure if that was for composition or only for the arrangement.
There's no useful information in the liner notes there besides just listing Totaka's name after the song, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMNintendoGamer View Post
That's not possible because that song comes from Double Dash and Nagamatsu wasn't even at Nintendo then.
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking when I threw in those Nagamatsu "probably"s. There are some Nagata arrangements on disc 2 I could've said he "probably" composed too but didn't even bother. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:23 AM

Credits from the Deluxe Version :

Music

Shiho Fujii
Atsuko Asahi
Ryo Nagamatsu
Yasuaki Iwata
Asuka Hayazaki
Toru Minegishi
Kazumi Totaka
Koji Kondo

Sound Programming

Sanae Uchida
Masato Mizuta
Toru Asakawa

Sound Effects

Natsuko Yokoyama
Yoei Miyagawa
Taro Bando
Takahisa Yamamoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4GqEovJgcw

Last edited by MetalLord; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post

Music

Shiho Fujii
Atsuko Asahi
Ryo Nagamatsu
Yasuaki Iwata
Asuka Hayazaki
Toru Minegishi
Kazumi Totaka
Koji Kondo
I'm honestly thinking that list is way overcredited. The original 4 are a given since they worked on the original game, but I have serious doubts that the latter four actually did any new music at all.

As far as I can tell the Deluxe version only adds new music for the eight battle courses, and except for Battle Stadium and Lunar Colony all of them are mostly based on older music. I don't think that is enough to justify a whole total list of eight composers.

What really weirds me is seeing Kondo and Totaka, those guys are not really composing a lot today and they have specially never composed for Mario Kart at all (not saying they can't, but why would they bother with additional music for added tracks for a port of a series they are not familiar with?). I can tell that we probably have Hayazaki for Grumble Volcano and Minegishi for Urchin Underpass, but still.

Maybe the four new guys are only sound supervisors or something like that, and for whichever reason they fitted them in the "Music" header? No way to know, as technically anybody could have done anything...