VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:32 AM

Feels like I'm a grim reaper of digital reprints or something >_<... anyway, shouldn't this version of a parent album be treated just like any other digital reprint - make it all into one CD entry and keep info about digital?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:52 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

What do you guys have vs Digital releases?

It's so different from the CD entry (but the contents), i don't see why we should delete that entry.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 07:13 AM

Basically I think that any digital reprint that came out after or at the same time as CD - doesn't need a separate entry. It can be simply mentioned in the notes on a CD page.
If digital came out before CD then yes it deserves a place in history.
Journey OST was an example of that.

To go over some points that are different between CD its digital reprints:

- Digital has a different price.
Yes it does, it's always cheaper, it's pretty much a common sense that digital is always cheaper. I don't see why it needs a separate entry to acknowledge a different price. Links to shops like iTunes, Bandcamp etc is enough. People will not be in shock if they follow those links and see that it costs less than CD.

- Digital has a different release date.
Again, if it came out after CD then it's a pretty standard affair. As time goes by we will see more and more digital reprints coming out after CD. Does database need all those "after CD" reprints? I don't see why it does, it's redundant. If digital came out before CD then it's important because the music was made available to public at that time, it became a fact that the music is available; but if it came out after CD, then it's already after the fact and therefore not as important.

- Digital has a different cover.
By all means it should be kept, let's acknowledge its existence by putting it on a CD page as an alternative cover.

There should be some kind of consensus though, because as of right now without a clear guideline on digital reprints things are a bit inconsistent.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 08:15 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well it seems we're worse than usual about the issue of digital reprints

After my time I've spent here, I think (at least) the digital reprint that's available on the very same day as the physical release (providing the tracks are all identical of course) doesn't need a separate entry; doesn't matter if that little cover may be different, why the redundancy just because of such small detail since we are (as a database) already grim dark reapers about digital versions that are "reprints", just put the other cover as alternate, no big deal.

As always we're in a limbo of either non-existing or poorly practiced rules (or both).
Old Jul 7, 2014, 08:33 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

There's more differences, especially for this kind of album:

It's not only CD vs Digital, the physical disc is only an enclosed bonus which make it hard to find/buy/way more expensive/whatever.
Such items are more liked for the collectors, but most poeple will buy the digital release if they want the music.

Another point is, the CD is exclusively Japanese.
The digital release is available worldwide.

Seriously, we did it that way for years. I am not aware of a new guideline or serious general discussion about that matter. Feel free to start such discussion, but in no way i'll follow your ideas without rules set in stone.
It seems like everyone here contributes in the way "he" likes, so i am doing too...
Only thing is i have been following the very little guidelines we have since the beginning. If you want to take over the place, let us know...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 09:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've actually just said for the case of the exact same release day, nothing more you know (since you generally asked "What do you guys have vs Digital releases"), and that doesn't concern this particular entry.

But whatever, I'm not going to add fuel to the fire.