VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:02 AM

The game has been released officially multiple times under the name "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood." PSP, PS4 and possibly Nintendo eShop. Sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath on any more old Castlevania soundtrack releases, though who knows with the recent retro collections and that mobile game coming out.

EDIT: Actually, I think it may have just been called "original game" in DXC (I'd have to check the game and/or manual/box) but as of Castlevania Requiem at least, it is officially called Rondo of Blood by Konami: https://www.konami.com/games/castlev...2018_x_son_rob

EDIT 2: Just booted up my PSP and the original game is indeed called "Castlevania Rondo of Blood" in the menu. So it's officially had that title since at least 2007.

Last edited by Aifread; Sep 15, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 01:24 AM

"Castlevania Requiem Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood"
what a mouthful
Old Sep 15, 2019, 03:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I take the *album* is called "Akumajo Dracula X", and it includes 3 games' OST: Akumajo Dracula X -Chi no Rondo- (PCE), Vampire Killer (MD) and Akumajo Dracula (X68000)

In the package/back/obi/text they are very specific not to add subtitles for the album name and add subtitles then talking about the games.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 04:49 AM

Ha, that's it. Makes sense after going through the scans.

On a side note, it has very little to do with the OST, but I looked inside the ROM file of a beta version of Castlevania Bloodlines (that's the US version of Vampire Killer on the Mega Drive), and noticed that it uses the title of "Castlevania Chronicles 09", which I found interesting, probably meaning the game was going to be called that... but then they used it for the PS port of the X68000 episode instead.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 07:20 AM

Page 5 of the booklet refers to the PC Engine version as "Dracula X" though. And the unused Rondo track is labeled as "Akumajo Dracula X bonus track." I can see where your interpretation is coming from, but I just want to put that out there as support for the alternative. Though I could also see the "X" in the album title being a cheeky way of referring to the "X"68000 arrange tracks.

Last edited by Aifread; Sep 15, 2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I mean, it's not a big issue or anything. But I think they didn't call the album "Akumajo Dracula X -Chi no Rondo-" and just "Akumajo Dracula X" instead for a reason, that being it has 3 OSTs apart from Rondo.

Calling it "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood" seems like reaching a bit, and this is still searchable via products. That said, I don't really care if there is an alt or not.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 06:44 PM

I think I could be swayed either way at this point. Vampire Killer/Bloodlines always felt like a preview/bonus to me since the game wasn't even out yet. Makes me wonder if the game got delayed but they were already printing the soundtrack for some reason.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
No, Akumajo Dracula X *IS* Rondo of Blood. That's the Japanese title (minus the subtitle 血の輪廻) and that's the game that's represented here along with Vampire Killer/Bloodlines. The game known in the west as Castlevania: Dracula X is called Akumajo Dracula XX in Japan. And besides, you've got it backwards; Dracula X is a re-imagining of Rondo of Blood, not the other way around -- also this album predates Dracula X as has already been pointed out in this thread. The only argument I can see for not calling this album Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is the fact that the 血の輪廻 subtitle is absent in the Japanese name, but even so, that's clearly the game they named it after since no other game in the Akumajo Dracula X "series" (such as SotN) is represented or even existed at this time. As for Vampire Killer/Bloodlines, that feels more like a bonus here than the main event.
Ah crap, your right, I did get them mixed up.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 01:02 AM

This page in French says the game was delayed.

http://castlevania.retrogaming.fr/pu...drive-genesis/

According to that yellow blurb, it seems all three were supposed to be released in 1993. What really happened though:

Akumajo Dracula (X6800) - July 1993
Akumajo Dracula X (PCE) - October 1993
Vampire Killer (MD) - March 1994

So, this album coming out early November 1993 makes sense with a delayed Japanese release of Vampire Killer. The album was certainly meant to be released after all three games were on sale.

All three games were also developed at the same time, maybe the X68000 episode started a bit earlier, can't find a solid reference to this.

Check out the translated interviews:

http://shmuplations.com/akumajox68000/

http://shmuplations.com/chinorondo/

This interview confirms the three games were developed at the same time... but the link is gone...
http://gosokkyu.com/post/79456686343...interview-lead

Someone from the Castlevania Dungeon who translates articles from Japanese said this to me

"The MD and PCE games were definitely developed by the Tokyo branch (the NES games, as well as the MSX and AC versions were developed in Kobe). According to the director of the SFC/SNES game there were at least two different units in Tokyo. The one he worked at was responisble for the SFC and MD version. Rondo came from a different unit. Most likely the X68000 game was developed there as well since some of the staff gets a special thanks in the credits of Rondo. Also, comparing staff credits I concluded the Dracula Densetsu games and Kid Dracula were mostly likely developed there as well, but I disgress."

Aaand to finish this monologue, I have seen the following:
the pce game demo disc that ends with the text "coming autumn 1993" --> game released october, check~
the x68000 game demo floppy that ends with the text "coming summer 1993" --> game released july, check~

need more digging to find out if a 1993 release date for vampire killer was printed in a magazine ad or article
pretty sure there must be more info in some mid-1993 megadrive fan magazines

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 04:30 AM

The delay makes sense if they were all developed at the same time. Konami was kind of nuts in the 90's releasing unique Castlevania games on almost every console.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 05:10 PM

The link is back up

https://gosokkyu.tumblr.com/post/794...interview-lead

Which is a translation of this page from the guidebook: http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/scans/robog106.jpg

Note how the english name is "Dracula-X Reincarnation of Blood"

"Rondo of Blood" may have been adopted by Konami very late, after seeing how everybody called it that, but I don't think it came from an official source. Also, it's used in that official link but has it actually been used in-game? Hmm.... I remember the N64 episode being spelled Castle Vania by several Konami sources

Q: I understand that the Dracula X development was going on at the same time as two other Akumajou games for different consoles?

A: Yes, at Konami there was the X68000 game (released 7/93), the Megadrive game (Vampire Killer, scheduled for release in 1994), and the PC Engine game development all going on at the same time. It didn’t really feel like we were competing. At least, I think that’s the case… (laughs)

Since he says "released 7/93" in the past and "scheduled for release in 1994" in the future, I take it the interview was done in between this period (that is, after early October 93, that's the release date of Dracula X), when it was already known that the MD game would be delayed, and he doesn't know the day or even the month.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Sep 16, 2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 07:22 PM

See my edited comment above. When you unlock it in DXC, it is called "Castlevania Rondo of Blood" in the in-game menu. I imagine it's the same in Requiem.

Fans may indeed have started calling it that first, but really there's not many other ways to translate it (half of it is already English) unless they went all Harmony of Dissonance and changed the name completely.

Last edited by Aifread; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:16 AM

In the comments of one of his blog posts, a fan asked akiropito what the composer credits where for Rondo of Blood.

http://akiropito.blog.shinobi.jp/その他/あけおめことよろ#comment3

This was back when his blog was active, so he answered. The credits in the words of akiropito are as follows:

"・Cross a Fear, Cemetery, Slash, 幽霊船の絵, Op.13, 巣窟, 聖者の行進, は地獄車中村さんの担当です。
・鎮魂歌, 獄幻界乱舞, 幻想的舞曲, Mary Samba, ボス戦前の曲, その他デモシーンの曲はSannopiさんの担当です。
・ボス戦前の曲,ジングル, Poison Mindのアレンジと乾坤の血族(Overture)、擬音(SoundEffect)は私が担当しました 。 "

That leaves us with complete credits for the OST! I've updated the KICA-7622~3 release of the soundtrack to reflect this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 05:55 PM

Oh wow. Individual Rondo credits is effing huge. Thanks so much for finding that!
Old May 7, 2021, 10:57 PM

For some reason track 1.01 was changed to Overture (Opening · Jack's Theme) and the Japanese tab was changed to enish.
I'm not sure why this was done, but I've changed them back to "Richter's Theme" and "Japanese."
Old May 7, 2021, 11:15 PM

Same user also changed track 15, which I reverted back to what it should be. holywarrior/herowarrior has made a bunch of nonsense edits like this. Is there a way to revoke their editing privileges if not just ban them from the site?
Old May 7, 2021, 11:37 PM

Good catch, if they're going around and making a bunch of erroneous edits then I too believe that some form of action should be taken.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Banned now, this is not the first account they've used to make similar edits and I'm sure it won't be the last
Old Sep 11, 2022, 05:10 AM

Just in case someone missed it (I did)...

Akiropito posted some unused music he had made for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkKO0LKahbg
ドラXの担当になったときに、最初に作った3曲…というか、入社するときのデモテープの編曲版。w メインやサウンド内の評価用に作成したテスト版なので音が悪いです。採用されたのは乾坤の血族だけ。2曲目 のFudeenと、3曲目のCastle of the moonはボツ。(^。^; 他にも作ったけど、形にならなかったので、あるのはこれだけ。カビ臭いけど、宜しかったらどうぞお聞き下さ い。m(_ _)m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XgmtVSPDg
前回の曲を再アップ! (^-^
Old Sep 11, 2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Just in case someone missed it (I did)...

Akiropito posted some unused music he had made for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkKO0LKahbg
ドラXの担当になったときに、最初に作った3曲…というか、入社するときのデモテープの編曲版。w メインやサウンド内の評価用に作成したテスト版なので音が悪いです。採用されたのは乾坤の血族だけ。2曲目 のFudeenと、3曲目のCastle of the moonはボツ。(^。^; 他にも作ったけど、形にならなかったので、あるのはこれだけ。カビ臭いけど、宜しかったらどうぞお聞き下さ い。m(_ _)m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XgmtVSPDg
前回の曲を再アップ! (^-^
So the three pieces of spec music he did for Rondo of Blood are "Divine Bloodlines", "Fudeen" and "Castle of the moon", and they're really just arranged versions of pieces from the demo tape he made when he joined Konami. Neat! Thanks for posting these.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 07:44 PM

The 2nd and final part of PC Engine Fan's guide for Dracula X has a page dedicated to the soundtrack. If anyone has a copy, it would be interesting to know what it says.

I know I have a copy, but not on hand. If I do get another one, I will take a close-up photo for someone to translate.