VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:26 PM

Don't suppose I'm the only one not digging this OST?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I think it's pretty horrible.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:34 PM

So... turns out Uematsu and the Earthbound Papas did not do this entire soundtrack. The game credits list Kenji Kaneko and the Earthbound Papas for "Sound Composer & Sound Designer" in an orientation that I think is supposed to indicate Kaneko as the composer and the band as sound designer. It then goes on to name specifically by title four pieces of music written by Uematsu with individual arrangement credits for each, and then four more composed and arranged by Kenji Ito (who knew about his involvement?). These aren't special tracks that are singled out for having vocals or anything, they're just BGM like anything else, so I take that to mean those named are the only ones not written by Kenji Kaneko. There seems to be some of the same synth used in his score to the first Hyperdimension Neptunia game (notably, the violin) and a similar rhythmic style and cutesy sort of sound so I have no doubt this music is his.

Now here's another thing: not a single one of those eight pieces of music by Uematsu or Ito are on this CD. I suspect the Earthbound Papas performed on Kaneko's music, since his soundtrack for the first game sounded nowhere near as hard rock as this and the guitar is certainly live, not sequenced. That is probably the reason they get the sound designer credit. I should point out that what is on this CD is nearly all of the BGM not named as being composed by Uematsu or Ito, and credits are conspicuously absent on the album itself. Usually you don't hire Uematsu for a game and then leave his name off the soundtrack CD... unless he's not on it. However, companies do hire him and then promote his involvement to get attention, even if he's not the sole composer.

I'm going to change the composer to Kaneko here and on the Japanese version and remove the Earthbound Papas as arrangers and performers since I don't have any confirmation that they did either on Kaneko's music, though I think they did (maybe there's better info available in Japanese?). The Japanese version also needs to be removed from Uematsu's discography (this version wasn't ever added to the list).

Last edited by _if; Jun 9, 2013 at 08:06 PM.