VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Added a bunch of missing artists (for the track by ayaka specifically).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 07:25 PM

Default Music on this Album

Is it just me, or is "The Price of Freedom" a really really good piece of music? The opening with the violin and what sounds like an acoustic guitar really is quite melancholy and emotional.

"The World's Enemy" takes a different approach to that legendary piece of music from Final Fantasy VII. Awesome.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMLover View Post
Is it just me, or is "The Price of Freedom" a really really good piece of music? The opening with the violin and what sounds like an acoustic guitar really is quite melancholy and emotional.
Certainly not just you - I waxed lyrical about it too (and rambled on about other stuff), albeit on his artist forum thread instead: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9707

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
I would say that his first stand-out track was in Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. It was the first track to really grab my attention and made me loop it 50 times in order to analyse the song's intricacies. That track was "The Price of Freedom". I haven't played the game yet but when I listen to this song, I imagine someone being forced to fight his best friend, even though he doesn't want to. Just like Rockman, who doesn't really want to fight but feels it is his duty to do so. Some people might call this "emo" behaviour but eh. Emotional situations call for emotional songs.
By the way, for those of you who are guitar players, is that the pentatonic minor scale at 1:00 onward?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
By the way, for those of you who are guitar players, is that the pentatonic minor scale at 1:00 onward?
I think since the '90s that's been called the Noel Gallagher scale
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:20 PM

Default "The Price of Freedom"

Quote:
Certainly not just you - I waxed lyrical about it too (and rambled on about other stuff), albeit on his artist forum thread instead: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9707

Hi layzee,

Thanks for your message. I haven't come across Takeharu Ishimoto's name before, so I'm glad that you dropped it here (I read your post on his artist forum thread). I didn't realize that he really has made significant contributions to both Square Enix and Final Fantasy games, particularly the Dissidia series.

I like the Dissidia soundtracks because I consider them to have different versions of Final Fantasy OST fan-favorite pieces of music. We have Distant Worlds and Game Concerts (full classical music orchestra), A New World (chamber classical music orchestra), The Black Mages and Earthbound Papas (rock band), BRA★BRA FINAL FANTASY BRASS de BRAVO (concert band/wind orchestra), Piano Collections/Opera (solo piano), SQUARE ENIX JAZZ -FINAL FANTASY- coming out on November 22, 2017 (jazz), and of course, the Dissidia series (rearrangements), including the new Arcade album releases (two of them as of now, I don't know if Dissidia Final Fantasy NT will get another soundtrack release).

"The Price of Freedom" got my attention when I heard it during a cutscene in Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. After this piece plays, another piece of music plays in the rock-style genre with the electric guitar and drums (I haven't identified its name yet), then an excerpt from Final Fantasy VII's legendary song follows (avoiding its name to prevent spoilers, just in case). Well done.

Last edited by VGMLover; Nov 16, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 05:53 PM

According to the data SQEX gave to mora, Uematsu composed 1.23 空色の瞳 rather than Ishimoto. I assume based on https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki...ice_of_Freedom that that has to be a mistake?

Maybe SQEX meant track 2.23? That track contains the Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII, Shinra, Let the Battles Begin, and Aerith's Theme, but Nobuo Uematsu isn't credited...

Last edited by yindesu; Jul 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old May 7, 2021, 07:19 PM

According to user-submitted tags, track 2.24 is taken directly from track 1 of the Advent Children soundtrack:
https://acoustid.org/track/04710aa3-...4-a7e2d6baf459

Those credits aren't mentioned in this booklet, but would be:
Quote:
Orchestration: Shirou Hamaguchi
Conduct: Taizo Takemoto
Recording & Mixing: Toru Kamekawa