VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:33 PM

As with the other blu-ray releases, 320 kbps MP3's will be available off the disc when you put it in the computer.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:11 AM

This and X-2 soundtrack are finally available for pre-order!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James O View Post
As with the other blu-ray releases, 320 kbps MP3's will be available off the disc when you put it in the computer.
Wait, it's not getting a proper CD release (aka no lossless release?) Bleh.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:30 AM

Blu-Ray is of course lossless. It can be demuxed into CD quality too. But yeah, it's annoying, especially given how expensive these releases are.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:52 AM

square enix ever explained why they release blu-ray like that or even vinyls?
I'll be curious to know why, dj requests (about vinyls) ?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Vinyls are probably mostly collector's items. They are quite fashionable these days.

Blu-rays, I'm not sure. Maybe it's cheaper to produce than 4-disc sets? And they can sell them for a premium price, since Blu-rays are so expensive in Japan.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:17 PM

I believe it was save on number of discs used for a release. They can fit more onto one disc plus add a video component to it. As for the vinyls I think the early releases were just an experiment. Then they did the FF Vinyls to test the popularity and then the Orchestral release too. They'll probably do more limited style releases to appeal to the vinyl crowd.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:03 PM

if it's so expensive, isn't it counterproductive?
the best way isn't the way to sell stuff for the most of people instead of collectors in search of luxury?

(no need to answer)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:55 PM

Wait, so does this have any tracks from X-2 at all?

I LOVED that soundtrack as much as I loved X. Absolutely brilliant yet different themes. (I may be alone in that regard)

I guess maybe since X-2 had much higher sample quality than X did by nature of it being a second gen game made by them (Compare and contrast the GeneralMIDI sound of FFVII to VIII ;sampled from a Roland SC-88; for example) it wasn't really in as much need for higher quality versions than X was.

Is the only explanation I can muster, because X-2's sample quality still holds up incredibly well IMO. Where as a lot of X's ;while sounding amazing; is a lot less refined sounding.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:28 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONKERS View Post
No, why should it?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

There are some FFX-2 tracks included as bonus tracks.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONKERS View Post

I LOVED that soundtrack as much as I loved X. Absolutely brilliant yet different themes. (I may be alone in that regard)

I guess maybe since X-2 had much higher sample quality than X did by nature of it being a second gen game made by them (Compare and contrast the GeneralMIDI sound of FFVII to VIII ;sampled from a Roland SC-88; for example) it wasn't really in as much need for higher quality versions than X was.

Is the only explanation I can muster, because X-2's sample quality still holds up incredibly well IMO. Where as a lot of X's ;while sounding amazing; is a lot less refined sounding.
Doesn't FFX-2 have streamed audio? Unless I'm thinking of a different game.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:09 PM

No, the vast majority is sequenced. Final Fantasy XIII was the first numbered one to use all streamed music.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Doesn't FFX-2 have streamed audio? Unless I'm thinking of a different game.
From that era? All I can think of is Xenosaga =p (and even that isn't fully streamed)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 02:11 PM

There are plenty of Playstation and early PS2 games that have all streamed music, just not by Square/Square Enix, although some of the obscure ones do like the Allstar Pro Wrestling series.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 09:11 AM

Pointless release, pointless format for audio and I'll be avoiding this.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 01:48 AM

I don't know why you'd say that. That new arrangement of "Besaid Island" sounds mighty fine.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 05:57 AM

As does the new Seymour Battle track.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 07:31 AM

Are there any more samples available or a tacklist?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James O View Post
As does the new Seymour Battle track.
And how do you know this? You're implying that there's a sample of this somewhere?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateKoopa View Post
And how do you know this? You're implying that there's a sample of this somewhere?
There is indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6fO6Wlwb-E
Old Dec 14, 2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
I don't know why you'd say that. That new arrangement of "Besaid Island" sounds mighty fine.
I see, my mistake. Clearly worth the $55 spend to re-buy this soundtrack then...
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:20 AM

Well, we'll see how the rest of it goes. I haven't been terribly impressed with the arrangements or sound of the regular battle theme or "Seymour Battle", but if this soundtrack is heavy on remakes on the level of "Besaid Island" I'd say it's certainly worthy of a release, if not necessarily a must-buy. Hell, I just spent what is likely to be more than $50 after shipping and middleman fees on a one-disc CD soundtrack and we all know that's not at all unusual for people around here.

I do feel apathy for their decision to release it only on Blu-ray since it is nonsensically more expensive than four CDs and Square Enix seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to resample 16-bit 44.1 kHz audio to 96 kHz, add eight empty bits to the bottom, boost the volume several decibels with compression/limiting, and tell you it's superior, premium sound quality.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 04:07 PM

English tracklist added, last 10 tracks are from X-2 (they're not rearranged according to the official website).
I guess Noriko Matsueda and Takahito Eguchi should be added in the composed by\arranged by fields.

EDIT
Composers\Arrangers in detail:
Spoiler:
2,4,11,12,17,19,20,23,26,29,31,39,46,51,56,60,66,6 7,74,76,79,83,84,86
Compose: Nobuo Uematsu, Arrange: Masashi Hamauzu

Compose: Nobuo Uematsu, Arrange: Hirosato Noda

Compose & Arrange: Nobuo Uematsu

6~8,13,14,16,21,24,32~34,44,49,53,54,57,82,87,92
Compose & Arrange: Junya Nakano

Compose: Nobuo Uematsu, Arrange: Nobuo Uematsu & Tsutomu Narita

Compose: Nobuo Uematsu, Arrange: Junya Nakano

18,35,41,50,52,58,59,61~65,68,75,77,81,88
Compose & Arrange: Masashi Hamauzu

Compose: Masashi Hamauzu, Arrange: Junya Nakano

Compose: Masashi Hamauzu, Arrange: Masashi Hamauzu & Ryo Yamazaki

Compose: Nobuo Uematsu, Arrange: Shiro Hamaguchi

Compose: Nobuo Uematsu, Arrange: Masashi Hamauzu & Ryo Yamazaki

95~104
Compose & Arrange: Noriko Matsueda & Takahito Eguchi

Last edited by alexfilth; Dec 21, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
square enix ever explained why they release blu-ray like that or even vinyls?
I'll be curious to know why, dj requests (about vinyls) ?
They answer that exact question here:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/...y-sq-and-nier/

"As you have mentioned, I can’t deny that the Blu-ray format is relatively costly, but if you think about it, for example, in terms of FFXIV, we would record 104 songs at a total of 376 minutes, which would come out to 6 or 7 CDs and a cost of 6,000 to 7,000 yen ($60 to $70). On top of that, you would have to consider the hassle of switching between the CDs, which may end up making the consumer hesitate on purchasing the product.

Now, because of the capacity of the Blu-ray disc, we are able to include video contents as well. And the large capacity allows for high levels of sound quality that makes CDs pale in comparison. Since one disc can record over 6 hours of music and also include video content, that’s why we decided to use the Blu-ray format.

It is true that it’s a challenge, but our company has always created our games by taking on a challenge, then ended up as a success. And so, with going with the Blu-ray format, we would like to take on that challenge with the same spirit."
Old Dec 21, 2013, 05:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Pointing out the usual bullshit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
And the large capacity allows for high levels of sound quality that makes CDs pale in comparison.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Pointing out the usual bullshit:
Not that they did it for FFX HD, but technically if you put music on bluray you could set it up for 5.1 or 7.2 or w/e insane sound system you have ... granted audio tracks were written and designed for that configuration, which I'm sure isn't the case for FFX HD. But with a concert recording you could get more than a CD which is just stereo, ya?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:39 PM
Trusted Editor

Sure, but you should keep in mind that a good multi-channel mix is a very difficult thing and makes production a lot more expensive. Because of this, I doubt we'll going to see this anytime soon.

I mean, upsampling to 192kHz / 24bit (like _if already pointed out) is just sooo much easier *g*
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:50 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I hear ya.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I read that interview back when it was published and remembered him saying that singled-out line, which further bothers me about this upsampling business. So that's a guy from their marketing department advertising what he intends to be a selling point, implying that the audio is of higher quality when they put it on Blu-ray. It's horribly unscientific enough to claim that 24/96 inherently sounds better than CD (I'm aware this is a controversial statement amongst the audio enthusiast community and I know I'm unlikely to change any minds saying this, but it's really not controversial for the scientists and engineers who study and work with the science of sound. Note that I don't mean recording engineers - they deal with the art of sound recording and do not necessarily need to understand or even really know about the science of sound to get good results), but the fact that in reality what's on that FFXIV Blu-ray he's referring to is actually upsampled CD-quality audio makes his statement either an apparently company-wide (or at least soundtrack publishing/marketing department) honest misunderstanding on multiple levels of how digital audio works or an official deception, a lie.

I say good for their sound team that they use 16/44.1 since it makes so much sense. Perfect sound quality within the range of human hearing and practically any sound equipment's reproduction capabilities and it takes up less space and processing time when you're working with it (24 bits does have some technical advantages in music production, but it's less useful when you're working with primarily synthesized music in a sequencer rather than recorded music because you can manipulate and process it without introducing errors). And it's not going in the games in any higher quality than that; in fact, it goes through lossy compression. But then when they turn the files over for the OST, it's being upsampled. It may not be a highlighted part of their marketing, but they do intentionally say that their Blu-ray soundtracks are 24/96 which is very misleading. We'll see at some point what the source is for this album, but I wouldn't hold my breath that they're going to break with the method they've used with their previous Blu-ray albums.

Now I shall descend from my soapbox.

Last edited by _if; Dec 22, 2013 at 04:07 PM.