VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:08 PM

Default Attention VGMdb administrators

Calling all VGMdb administrators!

While everyone will make use of it, I thought you in particular might be most interested in this newest feature of remixSite. Now, "forum images" are generated for every song, so that they can be included in signatures and posts with links back to songs. Best of all, VGMdb data is used in the generation of these images, an example of which is displayed in my signature.

To reduce VGMdb server load, the images are only regenerated once or twice per day.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:48 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'd recommend trying to make the signature imags a lot smaller.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Something close to 400 x 100 would be better. Signatures should not dwarf the dimensions of post content, as a general courtesy.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:57 AM

Well, I tried that, but the conclusion I came to was that the images had to be mid-sized in order to be readable. I changed my signature to a sample of what the image would look like if it were close to the dimensions that Gigablah described.

Note that it's so small that the text is hard to read.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Text can be small and readable. You can try looking for suitable pixel fonts that are made to be legible and compact.

Second, the remixSite logo is taking up a large portion of the real estate. There's no need for it to be that large; you could take out the circular graphic, which lets you bump the remixSite text further up and left. Now there's more space for the information below, so you can make the text larger. Think of more ways to compact the information; there's no need to insert the user's avatar in their sig (considering their postbits already have avatars!)

You can take a look at some examples of dynamically generated sigs:

See how small that "backloggery.com" text in the second sig is? You can also replace the "views", "downloads" and "ratings" labels with icons.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:13 AM

I just discovered an immediate problem - Overclocked ReMix has a signature image limit of 250px, but these images were 286px. I shortened the images so that they now are legal for posting within Overclocked Remix posts:

I think that that 12% reduction in height makes a big difference, don't you? Perhaps I should also generate two images per song. There's no sense in removing code that already exists and works, so I could just create another image that's really small like the one you posted from "mygamercard.net," and members could choose between the images.