VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:55 AM
Trusted Editor

Can someone identify the BGM composer from the official page?
http://www.team-e.co.jp/products/kdsd-00402.html

My guess would be MANYO, but it looks like (at least to me) that he isn't explicitly mentioned anywhere...
Old Mar 3, 2011, 09:24 AM

MANYO is listed as the BGM composer on the game official site's sound sample section, so it's him (it's a flash site, so can't post a link to that specific page).

http://www.otomate.jp/clock_zero/
Old Mar 3, 2011, 03:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Thanks Cedille! I don't use Flash, so I can't check.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:52 PM

In Touhou circles, 夢幻回廊 has been translated as Infinite Corridor because of the pronunciation of 夢幻, but 夢幻 is different from 無限 and so I've gone with fantasy here.

I got pronunciations from the game's Wikipedia page. So in case one looks wrong (like 鷹斗 could look like Takamasu), that's my reasoning, I haven't played the game so I don't know how the characters' names are pronounced in the game.

もうきっと、ずっとさよなら is a fairly weird phrase to translate, and そしてまた、ここから is almost nonsensical to me. If anybody has any improvements for those - or for anything, of course - they're very welcome.

Also, are we doing Hepburn Romanization in album titles? 終焉 is Shuuen, not actually Shuen, but I'm not sure what the policy is.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 02:15 PM

you translated kana from track 3, but not from track 22, why?
the "ni" in "sora ni" of track 8 got translated but not track 25's, why?
where does the plural of track 14 go?

note for chz: remember what I told you?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 02:42 PM

For track 22, the only reason is that normally, when seeing kana, I expect it to be phonetic since that's what it is almost all the time. Sometimes there are strange words, names, etc in games and without putting a huge amount of thought into it I just wrote out what it says thinking it maybe had some meaning in the game. However it is the same as ここから in track 24, just katakana and not hiragana so it could surely be translated as From Here as well. Actually, if I translate track 22 the same way, the "And Again" in track 25 possibly makes some sense, so that's good.

For track 25, no good reason! Sloppiness. Thank you for catching that!

For track 14, the plural of sheep is sheep.

Thanks for the error correction, Phonograph.

Last edited by Mortavia; Oct 20, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 02:51 PM

japanese language isn't restricted to kanji or hiragana, as you saw for track 3
quite strangely, you translated this one but not track 22 but track 24 (not very consistent)

that "soshite mata" is a sort of "ver.2" of "koko kara"
a bit like you have "koko kara" and "koko kara (again)"

(edit: didn't know sheep was invariant)

Last edited by Phonograph; Oct 20, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:06 PM

Yes, I know you didn't know sheep was invariant, just like I didn't consider ココカラ to intended as a statement. I know enough that ヒカリノアシオト is obviously a statement. But some soundtracks have some crazy things like ソマイマレツァ or シンムナフォスン, which look just like words or names because they're in kana form. But even if you write them out as words or names, Somaimaretsa and Shinmunafosun don't make any more sense than Cocokara, which is why ココカラ easily looked the same sort of case. It simply didn't occur to me, which is why I asked for improvements.

My point is, have a little measure of patience for who don't know as much about Japanese as you do, rather than making snide remarks like "not very consistent". It's just unnecessary and not constructive. I didn't make any snide remarks about you not knowing sheep was a plural, but let me tell you, plurals of animals are literally first-grade learning material, or even earlier. I could remark that you should know that, but I don't because I know English isn't your strong point and that's okay. Likewise, show me a little patience as well, I'm dedicating some of my time to adding to the database, it's voluntary and I don't have to do it but I want to help.

Last edited by Mortavia; Oct 20, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:20 PM

rather, english isn't my first language like a lot of vgmdb users and I'd like english people to stop acting as smartasses simply because they are english (just a remark like that, you're not aimed especially -it's a general observation)

I can be patient but if that becomes like previous threads with myriads of posts to say nothing, so I could not be patient

about kokokara, I don't understand
at first sight, it's clear to me it's basic japanese (it's nothing to have with experience, just common sense)
the "not consistent" remark is linked to that, it's not an arrogant remark (in case you think I could look down on you)

Last edited by Phonograph; Oct 20, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:32 PM

Yeah, of course I understand that English isn't your natural or best language and that's fine, you're not the single person on VGMdb to not natively speak English and your knowledge about Japanese sure is a great help. This site isn't for English speakers only, it's for everyone.

As for common sense, that is the ability to understand things shared by pretty much all people. It can be reasonably expected for anybody to know something considered to be common sense. The ability to learn a language is common sense - you could expect any random human being to do that, barring a few very special exceptions. You could see anyone on the street and assume "This person can understand a language." But that the specific word in the Japanese language ココカラ is not phonetic but instead a statement is hardly common sense - would you expect any random person you see on the street to know that? A funny thing about experience versus common sense: people with a lot of experience tend to confuse them. When you've known something for so long and it seems so obvious to you, it's easy to mistake that experience for common sense.

Anyway, thanks again! Much appreciated.

Last edited by Mortavia; Oct 20, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
... This site isn't for English speakers only, it's for everyone.

ah thank you to say that
because of that localization priority thing for products, I have my doubts

it's like because the site is in english, so products must reflect that (hence localization priority)
I still think that having "final fantasy adventure" for a "seiken densetsu sound collections" is very stupid and I'll never change my mind

however, I'm not against "translated" products in the release list (first jap, then us, europe, etc.)
Old Oct 20, 2013, 03:54 PM

Well... haha, yeah. I think it's a battle between localization for a primarily English site and using the original (or to some people, "more correct") title. See though, the thing about the localized titles is that they're not wrong - the game is just as much called that in one place of the world as it is something else in another place in the world. It's not a wrong title, but it can cause things to get a little jumbled up, like your example of having the name Final Fantasy for a Seiken Densetsu title. However, even though the site is primarily in English, it does include Japanese titles and characters everywhere you go, too, so they're not trying to exclude anyone. Maybe they're just choosing the default that serves their biggest or most intended userbase. The site has to favor something, I guess.

I think that if this were a French site written almost entirely in the French language by French people, a lot of them would want French to be the default language on things. See what I mean? They wouldn't exclude others, they'd just put the language they wrote it in first.

But it's all politics, isn't it!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 04:13 PM

the thing I find stupid is the name of the product doesn't match the name of the album
I used that example but it's the same for a lot of other albums

vgmdb is not even consistent about that localization priority
theorically, all localized products should be used, is that the case? the answer is no

there is "Final Fantasy Adventure" for Seiken albums
but there is no "Tales of Destiny II" for Tales of Eternia OST (maybe too confusing since there is "Tales of Destiny 2")
there is no "Final Fantasy III (us)" for FFVI OSV (this one is worse)

without forgetting that strange thing when it's a franchise with a lot of games
you have DW I~III, DQ IV~VI, DW VII, DQ VIII~X (dragon warrior, dragon quest)
Old Oct 20, 2013, 05:12 PM

Hmm, that's very true. That's all very true, actually. I don't have much else to say or argue against there!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:07 PM

While I can't suggest any improvements for translations, I do have a list of things to change about the source Japanese tracklist.
  • Track 1 should have (オープニングテーマ).
  • 共振【想い人】 actually isn't a track name and should be deleted.
  • Everything from 空に描いた約束 to A cat may look at a king should therefore be moved up one.
  • Track 18 should be Moebius ~理一郎のテーマ~.
  • Track 24 should have (挿入歌).
  • Track 25 should have (エンディングテーマ).

The biggest change is that 11 tracks were offset by the removal of 共振【想い人】, so I changed both tracklists to match what's in the booklet. I've submitted 理一郎 as Riichiro according to the Wikipedia page Mortavia linked to, and 挿入歌 as Insert Song. I briefly examined the characters themselves to see if any were incorrect and found no discrepencies between the two lists, but someone may want to do it again just to make sure.