VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:05 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Where exactly was the proof that Minakuchi Engineering Staff is Kinuyo Yamshita? I know Yamashita worked on X3, but I thought the connection between the two names was purely speculation?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Where exactly was the proof that Minakuchi Engineering Staff is Kinuyo Yamshita? I know Yamashita worked on X3, but I thought the connection between the two names was purely speculation?
Go to her page and you'll see that our good friend Psychozeke has done it again

Besides, there was only one composer for X3 that did not have a proper name (who was not a single person) and only one composer with a name who was ever linked directly to that unknown entity. How do those two pieces NOT fit together? Wikipedia listed her as the sole composer ever since that revelation, and in the end, they never had to change it.

(Sigh)... I guess some people need to step back from the complicated procedures in order to see that the answer was right in front of them all along - just like I was telling you before. And FYI, that anagram was my secondary evidence. I put it there just for the heck of it.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 12, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A question: it wouldn't be more accurate edit Minakuchi Engineering Staff as a unit rather than an alias?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:15 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
A question: it wouldn't be more accurate edit Minakuchi Engineering Staff as a unit rather than an alias?
Technically yes, since from PsychoZeke's pm it doesn't sound as if it was a name given specifically to her, but was rather used as a 'soundteam-esc' generic designation. I'm not at all familiar with the company in question though, but I doubt we will see many other instances of this alias being used.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Go to her page and you'll see that our good friend Psychozeke has done it again
Thanks. I'm posting the link here for reference:
http://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php...5&postcount=13

Quote:
Besides, there was only one composer for X3 that did not have a proper name (who was not a single person) and only one composer with a name who was ever linked directly to that unknown entity. How do those two pieces NOT fit together. Wikipedia listed her as the sole composer ever since that revelation, and in the end, they never had to change it.

(Sigh)... I guess some people need to step back from the complicated procedures in order to see that the answer was right in front of them all along - just like I was telling you before. And FYI, that anagram was my secondary evidence. I put it there just for the heck of it.
That's all fine for narrowing down the possibilities, but that's not enough to exclaim truth. I don't know how the legal system works where you come from, but over here we like gathering hard evidence. I know this isn't a courtroom, but we should have some solid proof before we go folding an entire artist into another one.

Quote:
I feel we should. The way she phrases her message, she treats Minakuchi Engineering Staff as an actual company, even if she may be the only employee.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:15 AM

I've been going back through my copy of the box and here's some more credits you can add:

Mega Man X5:

- 4-11: Tidal Makkoeen Stage can be credited to Yuki Iwai; it's a take on 1-51: Bubbly Crablos Stage

- 4-22: Shadow Devil can be credited to Manami Matsumae & Yoshihiro Sakaguchi; it's a take on "Wily Stage Boss" from the original Mega Man

- 4-23: Rangda Bangda can be credited to X1's composers, it's a take on 1-06: Vava 2

- 4-27: Dr.Right can be credited to X1's composers; it's a take on 1-31: Dr.Right

Mega Man X6:

- 5-16: Gate's Laboratory Stage can be credited to Yuki Iwai; it's a take on 1-59: Counter Hunter Stage 2

- 5-22: Sigma 2nd can be credited to X1's composers; it's take on 1-28: Sigma 1st

- 5-24: Zero can be to X1's composers; it's a take in 1-08: Demo
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
- 5-22: Sigma 2nd can be credited to X1's composers; it's take on 1-28: Sigma 1st
It also starts with Yuki Iwai's Sigma 2nd from X2 and later heads into Sigma 1st from X2 after the Sigma 1st from X1 part. Don't worry about these; if they weren't specifically credited before, then I see no reason to credit them now, especially since those people [Yuki and co.] were never actually involved with those games [X5 and X6] and they're all already on this album. Post these in the notes section if you want, I really don't care.

My contribution: I can say with a very high degree of certainty that Title, Opening Stage, Stage Select 1, and Storm Eagleed are done by Setsuo Yamamoto; the same instruments from Zero (especially the guitar) are used and common notes are hit.

Other theories:
NOTE: These are UNOFFICIAL [Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

X1
Setsuo Yamamoto: Hard rock guitar, bass, chimes, and "crash" noise [middle] ala Title, Opening Stage, Zero, Stage Select 1, Stage Start, Launcher Octopuld, Burnin' Noumander, Spark Mandriller, Storm Eagleed, Armor Armarge, Boss 1, Boss 2, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Stage Select 2, Sigma Stage 1, Sigma Stage 2, Sigma Stage 4, Sigma 1st, Sigma Rebirth, Sigma 2nd, Cast Roll, Staff Roll
Makoto Tomozawa: Violins and bells and the "crash" noise [low end], ala Vava 1, Vava 2, Demo, Sigma Stage 3, Ending
Yuki Iwai: Distortion guitar; anything with her signature high pitch and sharpness, more "plucky" bass than Setsuo, ala Sting Chameleao
Yuko Takehara: Minimalist air (sound as if they were composed in 8-bit and then enhanced with different instruments) and the "crash" sound [high end], ala Icy Penguigo and Boomer Kuwanger --->Kuwanger also sounds like Tomahawkman to me (they both have the DUN-DUN-DUN-dun part at the end of the penultimate segment)
Toshihiko Horiyama: Piano, ala Pass Word and Dr. Right ---> Both use the same-sounding instrument and end in the same way as Demo 1 from Rockman X4, sharing the same sense of drama.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 3, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:26 AM

X5's turn
NOTE: These are UNOFFICIAL [Bold = Confirmed, Italics = Implied]

Naoto: Opening Theme (both), Character Select, Opening Stage Zero, Shining Hotarunicus, Tidal Makkoeen, Dynamo, Dark Necrobat, Burn Dinorex, Boss, Stage Clear Zero, Zero Stage 1, Zero Stage 2, X vs Zero, Dr. Right, Stage Select 2, Zero Dead (both), Armageddon--->Anything with guitar and awesome; Ending Theme, Dr. Right (Unused)--->The bells (from Opening Stage Zero); Sigma 2nd-->Sounds like X6 Sigma 1st
Naoya: Opening Stage X, Sigma 1st, Stage Select 1, Stage Start, Crescent Grizzly, Volt Kraken, Stage Clear X, Spiral Pegacion, Spike Rosered, Mission Report (both), Demo, Deep Sea --->Synthesizer--->Gotta be his style; Stage Select (Unused)--->Sounds enough like him
Takuya (with Shinya) [game credits lists them as such*]: Shadow Devil and Lambdabamda---->Sound like they're from the same person; haunting feel

In-game credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLe35S7nkY4 at 2:37
- Sound
Naoto Tanaka
Takuya Miyawaki (with Shinya) ---> referring to Shinya Okada
Naoya Kamisaka ---> Note that's he down here now; I'm guessing that's because he worked outside of Capcom; Takuya left for Valuewave with Naoto after this game (the latter donning the alias of Akemi Kimura in the process), but at that time he was still technically under Capcom and thus higher up on the list.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 3, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Naoto: Opening Theme (both of them)
Personally, I do a little bit of relabeling with the box, and here a good example. 5-1 "Opening" - the 0:56 version - is actually used on the title screen, so I call it "Title" while I call the 1:07 FMV video version 5-30 "Opening" (dropping the ugly looking Mega Man X5 desination) even I know it doesn't appear in the Japanese version (and is replaced by the wretched pop-tune "Monkey" which is good way to ruin a cool video).
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
Personally, I do a little bit of relabeling with the box, and here a good example. 5-1 "Opening" - the 0:56 version - is actually used on the title screen, so I call it "Title" while I call the 1:07 FMV video version 5-30 "Opening" (dropping the ugly looking Mega Man X5 desination) even I know it doesn't appear in the Japanese version (and is replaced by the wretched pop-tune "Monkey" which is good way to ruin a cool video).
1. Mosquito-Milk is J-Rock. This is Rockman, after all.
2. Showtaro was being weighed down by them at the time.
3. The reason why it isn't called Title is because it doesn't lead into the Title Screen like the others. Also, it plays on the Main Menu Screen, not the Title Screen.
4. There's nothing wrong with being geographically correct. I only wish they released "Megaman X6 Opening Stage."
5. Official titles are WoG; you just can't deny them; the only exception is if they're all capital letters; those I lowercase appropriately, but I digress.

But whatever works for you, good buddy.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 13, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for your decree mighty Thor!

Quote:
1. Mosquito-Milk is J-Rock. This is Rockman, after all.
I don't care. Wow, what a great observation! I think someone deserves a gold star, yes they do! *pinches your cheeks*

Quote:
2. Showtaro was being weighed down by them at the time.
Still don't care, although I like X6's Japanese tunes much more.

Quote:
3. The reason why it isn't called Title is because it doesn't lead into the Title Screen like the others. Also. it plays on the Main Menu Screen, not the Title Screen.
You can say I'm splitting hairs by changing the title, but you're doing the same thing with this explanation.

Quote:
5. Official titles are WoG; you just can't deny them; the only exception is if they're all capital letters; those I lowercase appropriately, but I digress.
I bought the box and I ripped it myself; I'll do what the &^%$ I want. Those mp3s or whatever are for my personal access, so if I want to make something more specific, I'll do it - you're not going to change my mind. If it's rewriting the word of "god" then cool, because anything that makes religious people (or anal retentive) angry makes me happy. Next you'll tell me I shouldn't change VAVA to Vile. It’s not like these titles are especially elaborate. "Title" wow, what a title!

Additionally, in the X3 Arrange, does anyone call "Ending 2" Ending 2 when it is very clear the "Get a Weapon" theme? That's a mistake! God made a mistake! Someone write it down! Preferably in stone!

But really, comparing a titles to the word of god, wow! And I thought I took certain things too seriously. I've nothing on you.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I've removed Kinuyo Yamashita from the performers field since she is already credit in this album as Minakuchi Engineering Staff.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting statement in a recent SEMO's interview. Since she was never part of the Minakuchi Engineering Staff, I think is better keep MES as an alias.

Quote:
Chris: Another of your popular freelance projects is Mega Man X3. What was your role in this game — large or supplementary? Were you part of the Minakuchi Engineering Staff listed in the game credits?

Kinuyo Yamashita: I composed all of the music and made the data for the original SNES release of Mega Man X3. Scoring the game was really fun. I could compose at home whenever I wanted and convert the music to the data. Also I liked Mega Man, and so I felt that I was so lucky to get the offer.

I was never part of the Minakuchi Engineering Staff. That was actually the name of the company that requested the work from me and I suppose they were credited in the game. No other composers were involved in the SNES release, though a team from Capcom were responsible for rearranging my music for the PlayStation and Saturn versions.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's very interesting.

Actually, I think this means that Minakuchi Engineering Staff should be a unit, and not an alias, since they presumably could have produced music for other games using different composers. Of course, if MES is a unit, then we would have to list Kinuyo as a member, when she was clearly only a subcontractor.

I'm thinking that this is one of those cases where we should credit her as "Kinuyo Yamashita (Minakuchi Engineering Staff)". Don't we do something like this with the albums that specifically credit Falcom Sound Team JDK, but we know the composer?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Good point. I think we could credit her as "Kinuyo Yamashita (Minakuchi Engineering Staff)" and perhaps delete the MES entry. I never heard of another game credit with this unit.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Good point. I think we could credit her as "Kinuyo Yamashita (Minakuchi Engineering Staff)" and perhaps delete the MES entry. I never heard of another game credit with this unit.
Sounds perfect. Do it.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Sounds perfect. Do it.
Yeah, that's probably the best solution for now.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

But what we do with Minakuchi Engineering Staff's entry? Since there is no link to the suffix, the page will be empty. I don't know if it would be interesting to keep especially now that Cedille found the company's website (although with not much information). However, we can simply add this address to the Yamashita's profile for reference.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd keep it around. I think ultimately we should figure out a way to link suffixes to units (which would be useful in doujins too).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
About this... see, they're not all capital letters here (not saying you said they were in this case). I agree with you... and I agree with Brad. In my world, I do whatever the hell I want with the track names. But in an online database, there needs to be some level of accuracy, and the original names need to be somewhat respected. It's the individual user's choice to make changes after that.

While I realize it's probably a good idea to use normal title capitalization for tracklists that are COMPLETELY CAPITALIZED (and some soundtracks here honor the original case even then), these titles are not quite in gratuitous caps. Some letters are lowercased - "Dr.RIGHT" for example. This tells me the capitalization was a little more than stylization.

For another thing, on most of the other tracklists I've seen here, there has at least been an attempt to match the names up with the American version. Regardless of whether or not the box listed things in English, the names make absolutely no sense on an "English" tracklist if you've played the games.

I've changed the original tracklist to honor the English names, as well as some other changes (like "Password" to "Pass Word" and "Megaman" to "Mega Man", which are how these things actually appear in the games), and I've also added the original tracklist in its entirety. It's labeled as the Japanese tracklist for now, because... it is, even if no Japanese characters are in it. My apologies if this isn't a good thing, but against all the other instances of Americanization and full capitalization, it seemed like the right thing to do.

:)

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 18, 2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I vote for just keeping things as they are on the book. What is exactly wrong with all caps? If seeing so many capital letters makes you uncomfortable, you can change them on your own files or whatnot. There's no need for a second playlist here. The original playlist is already completely English, even if it's not the most grammatically correct.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
But in an online database, there needs to be some level of accuracy, and the original names need to be somewhat respected. It's the individual user's choice to make changes after that.

I've changed the original tracklist to honor the English names, as well as some other changes (like "Password" to "Pass Word" and "Megaman" to "Mega Man", which are how these things actually appear in the games), and I've also added the original tracklist in its entirety. It's labeled as the Japanese tracklist for now, because... it is, even if no Japanese characters are in it. My apologies if this isn't a good thing, but against all the other instances of Americanization and full capitalization, it seemed like the right thing to do.

"Can't let you do that, Star Hellacia"

You do realize you contradicted yourself three times in the first part of your arguement, right?
1) The Japanese version names - the ones found on the album, in its tracklist - are the originals. The US version and names came afterwards, localization and all (especially with X5).
2) If you want accuracy to be upheld, then leave this alone. This was released in Japan, not the U.S., so of course it won't follow U.S. names.
3)You can edit the names of your personal versions of the tracks however you wish, but don't enforce it on the rest of us who all have a right to choose.

Furthermore, the tracklist was labeled English because it's written using English letters. Metal Gear, Sonic, and Star Fox (to name a few) do this as well; country of origin does not always directly imply that that language will be used. If you want the western localized names to appear here, submit it as a tracklist along the lines of "English (Localized)" or "English (US)," just know that the one already up will always be the default tracklist regardless.

I will, however, honor the change to Pass Word; that was the only thing that needed to be changed.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 18, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
While I realize it's probably a good idea to use normal title capitalization for tracklists that are COMPLETELY CAPITALIZED (and some soundtracks here honor the original case even then), these titles are not quite in gratuitous caps. Some letters are lowercased - "Dr.RIGHT" for example. This tells me the capitalization was a little more than stylization.
I see what you mean, but for tracktitles written with roman characters we tend to enter exactly what is given in the tracklist, even in cases where the usage of all caps seems more like a generic than a conscious choice. For other fields such as the album display title and the notes field it is of lesser importance though.

Quote:
on most of the other tracklists I've seen here, there has at least been an attempt to match the names up with the American version.
This should only be true when the tracktitle in question is not written in roman characters. If the tracklist explicitly states "Dr. Right", then we should go with that, even though it's a pretty clear spelling error. Basically, if we can figure out what it's really 'supposed' to say, then other fans will likely have no problems either and can choose themselves how to use or further spread the given information.

Quote:
My apologies if this isn't a good thing, but against all the other instances of Americanization and full capitalization, it seemed like the right thing to do.
Oh yeah, this certainly seems like a more correct tracklist - in all its all caps glory =)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:59 AM

As correct as this is, there are three problems:

1) Sprit Mushroom is actually Split Mushroom; this video shows why it would say otherwise, but it is officially spelled Split.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfQINMnc8x0 from 0:00 to 0:11

2) Dr. Kein is actually Dr. Cain due to the series' ties to religious names and themes
ex) [Dr.] Cain and Abel [City], [Orbital Elevator] Jakob, [Orbital Elevator] Babel
also, it was spelt Cain in the original Rockman X opening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHELMRMk10A at 0:18

3) "Unused Track" Armagedon is actually "Unused Track" Armageddon; just a simple misspelling, nothing more

So an editin' I will go
EDIT (8:00 PM) - Edit reversed. Sorry guys.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
for tracktitles written with roman characters we tend to enter exactly what is given in the tracklist, even in cases where the usage of all caps seems more like a generic than a conscious choice.
Okay, I'll remember that when making future edits :)

Quote:
This should only be true when the tracktitle in question is not written in roman characters.
I find this kind of odd and ultimately an inconsistency, since we now have some English tracklists with Americanized names and others without. To me, if we're going to use the Japanese names here just because they are now written in English, why not use the Japanese names everywhere else? They will also be written in English, because that is the language we are translating the name to, regardless of whether or not the tracks were originally in Japanese or not. The fact that the original tracklist is in English doesn't change any of the confusion or awkwardness arising from the use of the Japanese names.

I realize your verdict is final, and I'm not mad, but it just seems like an odd inconsistency to actually choose.

Quote:
Oh yeah, this certainly seems like a more correct tracklist - in all its all caps glory =)
Glad I could be of service. That took quite a while, you know! :P

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 18, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The 'Japanese' and 'English' tracklist names are misnomers but whatever you call them in a database aiming for complete accuracy like this one there should always be a tracklist with exactly what's written in the album itself, caps, Engrish, Japanese and all.

Then you can add other tracklists translating and/or using English names (or not, this is something to see case-by-case imo, some albums are better without US names). Here I see no problem in adding "English (Localised)" or such if people have interest in the US names for familiarity, others may not agree though.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:53 PM

I had a completely localized English tracklist and it was deleted, so... I can't figure it out Dag :P Maybe because it was based off of the original tracklist here, which was in standard title case. I could submit another one and do it in all caps, but... that's just more work than I want to do, haha.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
So an editin' I will go
No. No. NO

I know you're trying to be helpful, but that isn't how we do it here. I know it's mostly our fault for not having this type of thing explicitly stated anywhere, but we go by exactly what's on the scans. Spelling errors, Engrish, and all. The notes field is used to add info about how certain track titles are misspelled on the album's official tracklist.

Perhaps when Blah and SS implement the new track database, we can have corrected version of the track names in-line, but for now, we need to stick to precedence.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
I had a completely localized English tracklist and it was deleted, so... I can't figure it out Dag :P Maybe because it was based off of the original tracklist here, which was in standard title case. I could submit another one and do it in all caps, but... that's just more work than I want to do, haha.
Sorry about the confusion, but I don't see a need to add a second tracklist only to point out a few spelling mistakes and/or differences between localized and original names - that would add more confusion in my opinion. I think this is better mentioned in the thread for the entry. So feel free to make a post here about it here if you think it's of interest =)
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:17 PM

One reason I did it is because I'm under the impression that people use VGMdb's cddb service to automatically enter song information into their CDs when they're going to rip stuff. Personally, I find it so tiring having to change everything to make sense to the version of the game I know. I'd love for a cddb service to actually offer the version of names I'm familiar with. And I just can't believe that I am the only one on the planet that would like to have the names recognizable to what I know from the game. I figured that people could use the second tracklist to automatically enter the localized information, which in this case would save a good 241 tracks of information from being entered manually (a feat I've sadly done haha). After all, we have romaji tracklists in some soundtracks for crying out loud, lol. If that's not useless... Anyway, that's one reason I decided to include the other tracklist, not to mention the localizing of names in multiple other tracklists I've seen and personally dealt with here.

It's fine though, I'll try to make note that localization should only take place when things were originally in Japanese. Which still doesn't make sense to me. But I'd rather help than try to argue an entirely new system, so I'll go about my way trying to fix up the numerous CDs I have, and I'm sorry for the trouble of the extra tracklist :)