VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:38 PM

Can anyone confirm if this reprint or other Otakara series features remastering? The reprint tends to ask for more money so I'm guessing there's good reason for it beyond the possibility of a very limited repressing. I'm banking on it being a simple reprint but would like any insight or, pardon the pun, a waveform.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 02:35 PM
VGMdb Staff

I used to have both of the Snatcher Zoom Tracks releases and I can't say that I noticed any difference in the sound between the two. Of course, I didn't specifically look for any either, so I may have missed something that wasn't super obvious. I too always assumed these were just your everyday reprints.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 05:08 PM

I owned the 2nd print of XEXEX (saved a CD-R) and I own the 1st print currently. I can't detect any difference between them. Likewise, I saved the 2nd print of this album as a CD-R and I own the 1st print; they are the same. Also the same for Snatcher Zoom Tracks, Dracula Best Vol. 2 and Salamander ~Again~. I would suspect that all the Konami reprints from the late 90s are just reprints with nothing new with respect to mastering.

I didn't do any investigation with software. I'm just telling you what I hear and they sound the same.

Speaking of the reprints from the 90s, Konami sure did fail rather miserably, as they forgot all about Contra Spirits and Axelay. And every Perfect Selection album.... It's like fixing a roof but leaving large holes. Great job.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:15 PM

Oh yeah, these Konami reprints (Takara and non-Takara)... what a fail. Great idea but they just reprinted a handful of discs. I wonder what logic they had in mind, like let's reprint MIDI Power vol 1 and 2 but not the others, Game Music Collection 0 and 1 but not the others etc.

Maybe they didn't sell as expected and they dropped the whole project? But then why some are so hard to find if not because of low print runs? And why are the Dracula Best 1 and 2 so easy to find. Seems like print runs were not consistent throughout the reprints.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 03:16 PM

My guess is King Record took the best of what sold well and just didn't see it through. Maybe the Otakara collection just didn't do too well. Whenever a game soundtrack (non-SQEX) gets a reprint, it's more a blessing than an expectation. I mean, why Silhouette Mirage all those years later and not Guardian Heroes (a far superior work by Nazo Nazo/Unit)?

Also, did this release have a sticker like original?

Thanks for the confirmations, everybody. I didn't expect they were remastered, usually there's a blurb about it somewhere on the release. Stoked my interest seeing as this pressing seems to demand higher prices.