VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:02 AM

Default Kumi Koda - Grow Into One & Sweetbox - Adagio

Should these albums be included in the database? Both have at least 2 songs from the Final Fantasy X-2 soundtrack, but they aren't necessarily video game albums per se. I guess if singles are included when they only contain 1 song from a videogame soundtrack, these should be included also...What does everyone think?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yes, we include anything that has game music on it, even if it's only one track.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:07 PM

Alright, I'll add those 2 in the database then
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

Singles are one thing, as the emphasis will generally be on that one song in question (with perhaps an additional 'b side') and since the theme song isn't always included on the soundtrack release, but do we really want to start adding full albums? We're talking essentially one j-pop album for each theme song single here.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Singles are one thing, as the emphasis will generally be on that one song in question (with perhaps an additional 'b side') and since the theme song isn't always included on the soundtrack release, but do we really want to start adding full albums? We're talking essentially one j-pop album for each theme song single here.
It's not my decision, but I think they should be included since they are video game music related. There's 'Works' albums in the database that have no music from any video game on them but they are included since they are video game music related. Just my 2 cents, whatever that's worth
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:44 PM
VGMdb Staff

It's all about scope really. I feel an albums emphasis needs to be vgm related to warrant inclusion, and considering the albums you mentioned aren't (nor do they feature any exclusive tracks) I reckon it's not our job to cover them. That's how I feel about it anyway...

edit: Oh, and about the works category. It's purpose is to highlight non-vgm (and often quite obscure) works by vgm composers. i.e, if Koichi Sugiyama made a solo album way back when, even though it has nothing to with vgm fans of Sugiyama are likely to want to know about it. On the other hand, just because you're a fan of the FFX-2 soundtrack, or Matsueda, Eguchi in general it doesn't mean that you care for Kumi Koda, if you see what I mean. There's quite a difference there.

Last edited by seanne; Jul 2, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:12 PM

What about Tobikata wo Wasureta Chiisana Tori by misia, the theme song for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time?

It appears on at least four non-video game music related albums, but never (as far as I'm aware) released as a single.

As a result, those four albums should be included on VGMdb so that people interested in the song can find information on it.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:36 AM

It is opening a can of worms, I agree. I do list those two albums myself but I seriously considering removing them after I realized just how many other solo vocal albums featuring VGM songs were in there. I think if VGMdb wants to cover them, it'll be necessary to put in a big effort to get something even partially complete. What category would it fit in?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 08:38 PM

So, what's the verdict on these? There's already a few examples of full albums containing video game themes in the database:

Yae - flowing to the sky -
Mai Kuraki / FAIRY TALE

Should I go ahead and add the 2 albums I mentioned previously? Or should we only include the full albums when a corresponding single has not been released or the album contains an exclusive version of the song?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 05:26 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Do we really need to make an "effort" to include every one of these albums that includes a VGM vocal? Why not just allow the public to add them gradually as they become interesting to them. In my opinion, if an album includes music that was composed for a game, it should be eligible for inclusion here even if it's only one track. However, that doesn't mean we need to refocus our efforts and identify every j-pop album that has a game song. We can just let that happen naturally, while those of us who aren't interested in that area can spend their time working on the full game music albums.