VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 31, 2020, 05:50 PM
Trusted Editor

Finally the last soundtrack released on CD (commercially) of the great Seiji Yokoyama which was missing on VGMdb is added here!

I wanted to wait until I had the album before adding it, but it's hard to find now and very expensive when it does, so too bad it's time to put it on now and I hope to have this album (physically) one day... So I used the info from Yodobashi.com and Tower.jp, and I also used the info from the other Metalder albums (CX-7300, 30CC-1829):
https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000009000426832/
https://tower.jp/item/2181806/%E8%B6...83%83%E3%82%AF

I'm not sure this album mentions all the musicians as well as the guests, but all members of the New Japan Philharmonic are credited in the Symphonic Suite album, and they are obviously the same for this release as Metalder's original soundtrack is entirely orchestral, so I put them back here.

There are 2 missing credits on Yodobashi: track 30 on Disc 1 doesn’t mention the orchestra, but given that Hiroshi Kumagai is credited as conductor, it’s obvious that it’s performed by New Japan Philharmonic (I listened to this track too, it’s well orchestral).
The composer of track 62 on disc 2 is also missing, but JASRAC put Takashi Miki and indeed it's a variation of the ending theme played by piano.

Quick album review:
Once again the magician Seiji Yokoyama delights us with his superb compositions in this soundtrack of Choujinki Metalder.

For the performance we have a complete orchestra and a masterful and very rich instrumentation, for a grandiose soundtrack that clearly evokes the Asgard part of Saint Seiya.

Here indeed the themes are rather dark, dramatic and sad (especially on the 1st disc). The violin and the marimba (played by the great Keiko Abe) have an important part in the instrumentation.

Also this double-CD includes a ton of unreleased themes compared to the original album (the Symphonic Suite), and therefore the total number of themes is quite impressive. Of course all BGMs remain symphonic here.

I just regret that it lacks a bit of action themes compared to mood / atmospheric themes for a Metal Hero series, the action side is found more in the songs and their instrumental versions.

Even if for me this soundtrack doesn’t equal the incredible one of Chouriki Sentai Ohranger (which is for me his best soundtrack with Saint Seiya -surely because I have a clear preference for the guitar rather than the violin-), it remains of great quality and a sure value of this legendary composer who was then in full golden age.