VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:38 AM

Default Spotlight on: First Stage Music

It's the first thing you hear when the action starts. It pumps you up. It sets the initial mood. Platformers, beat 'em ups, racing, arcade, console... it spans a wide variety.

It's nearly its own subgenre of music.

Here are some examples (I'll leave out the obvious ones, like Green Hill Zone, Corneria, etc.)

Knights of the Round is a perfect example of that excitement & adrenaline administered at the start of the game.

Although not my favorite of the series, Double Dragon 3 had a certain aesthetic value to it, thanks in part to the music (not composed by Kazunaka Yamane in this one).

Everything in Last Blade was beautiful. I don't remember if this music was always played first, though.

Some are more relaxed, in Mega Man 8's case, likely to emphasize the ill-fated present with the eeriness of the past (notice the destroyed Mecha Dragon in the background).

Looking back at Wave Race 64, I can't remember how I managed to stand that announcer.

What's your favorite starting stage theme?