VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Closed Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:27 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
There's something going on with the number of visitors on album pages.
It's stuck to 1 since a few days, starting with this album and on.

I don't know if this also affect number of visitors on the website or page view..etc...
I noticed something was up too. It's also frozen on artist pages.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 04:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
There's something going on with the number of visitors on album pages.
It's stuck to 1 since a few days, starting with this album and on.

I don't know if this also affect number of visitors on the website or page view..etc...
Teioh noticed this too. Our Gearman server must be in some kind of error state, but I don't know how that works or how to reset it. If anyone sees Blah in chat, perhaps you could let him know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I just rejected some edits to the tracklist of this album: http://vgmdb.net/album/6789.
This bug has always been present. It happens when you reject a tracklist's language or url. I recall looking at it in the past, and not finding a way to get the needed info from what was logged in the edit queue, but I can look again.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

Here's a strange bug that I produced:
1. Link a a performer and a group.
2. Assign the performer to the group.
3. Switch their IDs and update.

Normally switching IDs simply changes the display order. But in this case the group and members will no longer be displayed, despite being linked. The db won't even recognize they are there.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:45 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

The counter of visitors/view page etc is bugged again (stuck to 1) ...
Old May 6, 2013, 05:44 AM
VGMdb Staff

This isn't really a bug but rather something that was forgotten.

There's currently no way to view the original name for organizations and labels (except for on the edit page). Even when you set the language to original it will still use the display name.

I think this info should be displayed in the same way for artists and albums.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I believe the scan add/edit page is bugged somehow. I uploaded some scans but the Booklet p. 01-02 scan has the thumbnail for the disc. I didn't do anything special during the upload, and I am using Firefox 20.0.1. Maybe it went a little too fast (small files) and thus somehow your code gave the wrong thumbnail for the booklet scan, or something.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
I believe the scan add/edit page is bugged somehow. I uploaded some scans but the Booklet p. 01-02 scan has the thumbnail for the disc. I didn't do anything special during the upload, and I am using Firefox 20.0.1. Maybe it went a little too fast (small files) and thus somehow your code gave the wrong thumbnail for the booklet scan, or something.
Actually, it looks like Booklet 01-02 didn't correctly upload at all. There is a timing problem that I've seen sometimes with small files, but it happens intermittently, and I could never pin it down to a cause.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
This isn't really a bug but rather something that was forgotten.

There's currently no way to view the original name for organizations and labels (except for on the edit page). Even when you set the language to original it will still use the display name.

I think this info should be displayed in the same way for artists and albums.
This was easy enough to add. Might benefit from a little style tweaking though.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:24 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
This was easy enough to add. Might benefit from a little style tweaking though.
Thanks for that. By the way, another area with the same issue is events. The only way to see the original titles is by switching to original on the Events list page. On individual pages for events it doesn't do anything and the title isn't visible anywhere.

Also, I noticed around 20 events with no original title but I have no way of editing them (since only the creator of the event is able to edit).
Old May 18, 2013, 01:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I really wish we had never tied our events to Vbulletin's Calendar. Apparently there isn't a way to edit someone else's event (though maybe there is a plugin.)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:02 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The Twitter feeds no longer appear on artist pages. I'm pretty sure it's because of Twitter's deactivation of the v1.0 API on June 11.

I don't know what we're using to display those previously, but they should probably be updated (which might be a total pain, since they now require app authentication for all requests) or removed.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It looks like we would need to install OAuth for php and then use it to authenticate every time we access the API.

They also are going to start enforcing their style guidelines, which look kind of strict.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Album: Invalid value [2014] for field [reldate_year]
Why is this even a thing? I think it doesn't allow anything before a specific year too? 1970 or something. This doesn't really make sense.

Anyways, I just added three 2014 releases so it needs to go away.

http://vgmdb.net/album/40058
http://vgmdb.net/album/40059
http://vgmdb.net/album/40060

Last edited by cal; Jun 21, 2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:25 PM

Apparently you can't enter secure http links to an album entry. iTunes keeps redirecting me to https site addresses when I visit album pages, and I tried adding that to an entry's "For Sale" links. The site threw up an error and didn't add the URL correctly.

I edited it, removed the s, and the link works - it redirects to an https page automatically. Still, this should be looked into.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:58 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Could you guys at least add a normal link to the twitter account? They were super useful for info :3
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:14 PM
VGMdb Staff

I think the Related Albums panel could be improved a bit. Occasionally there are unrelated products with the same name and they both show up in the panel even though they aren't related at all. For example, I added a couple albums for the anime Love Lab today and there was also an unrelated game with the same title that had an album in the db (I added a (TV) to the end of the anime albums to separate them for now). A solution would be having the panel separate products with the same title by category. This would also make the panel less cluttered for video games that have anime adaptations of the same name.

Also, a small request: do you think it would be alright to add a Rental publish format? There's currently 3 rental CDs in the database and commercial, retailer bonus, etc. don't really work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Could you guys at least add a normal link to the twitter account? They were super useful for info :3
I would like this too. Though if Twitter could be added back all together that would be even better. I understand why that would be a pain though. Not a fan of what Twitter has been doing with their API lately.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:58 PM
VGMdb Staff

What about some new values for product release date, Cedille came up with the idea here in the ff15 thread

Having zero for a release date looks awful.

Last edited by Efendija; Jul 4, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:20 AM

As for Twitter, you know we actually don't use Twitter that much aside of displaying the last several tweets of a user's timeline, so we would rather only get DOM than JSON. No idea how to make it in JavaScript (perhaps impossible, due to the same original policy), yet any decent language should have some official/unofficial library to parse html. The problem is whether it's worth sacrificing our coders' limited time for something that is essentially just filling spaces of artist pages.

More than that, I'd really love to expand the twitter field, since it's pretty common an artist has more than one account. I guess it doesn't require much time (if the implementation is the same as artist variations).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
No idea how to make it in JavaScript (perhaps impossible, due to the same original policy)
It was just wrong. After importing this, it seems to works, and I'm pretty sure there should be better ways.
Quote:
$(document).ready(function()
{
  $.ajax(
  {
    url: 'https://twitter.com/vgmdb',
    type: "GET",
    cache: false,
  })
  .done(function(data)
  {
    $("<div />").append($.parseHTML(data.results[0])).find('.content').each(function()
    {
      // ToDo
    });
  });
});

Last edited by Cedille; Jul 5, 2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: syntax
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:41 AM

I think this issue may belong here...

I'm using CDEX 1.70 beta 2 (beta 4 acts pretty screwy for me) and it won't read Sonic Heroes Complete Trinity Original Soundtrax WWCE-31027-8 when I do CDDB remote query.

I get a "Server530 internal server error" error which the internet assures me is nothing on my end.

I kinda' think that error is bogus though since I can query other titles just fine. After digging around the site I noticed that differing track times can screw around with data retrieval and that this is common for multi-disk albums such as the one above.

This is what I think is going on with this album since I noticed a two second discrepancy on track 28 of the first disk. However, I understand that the margin of error is three seconds and from what I can tell the track listing stays within that limit.

There is a wildcard in that there appears to be a weird "data track" at the end of each disk... how this applies to databases I'm not sure but I understand they cause problems sometimes and that these issues are now beyond my very basic understanding of how this service works.

I've tried to include all the info I thought would be useful to you guys, but again, I lack the background to anticipate possible questions. Let me know if there is more I can do to help diagnose this problem.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:54 AM
Trusted Editor

CDex? Wasn't that the ripper that was already discontinued in 2009?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:10 AM

Huh...

You may be on to something there. A google search on the matter does indicate that is so. That's a shame... I was pretty happy with it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
VGMdb Staff

The album already has a tracklist, a user comes by and adds, let's say English translation (which is all fine of course) but forgets a track or two e.g. http://vgmdb.net/album/38745
here for disc 2 there are 20 tracks total but Argentis forgot the last track in English tracklist (so it has 19) and the system accepted that tracklist. Is there a way to recognize mismatch in total track number and give a warning about it? Such errors can really go unnoticed for a long time...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:36 PM

Haha, even the disc length changes accordingly...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:07 AM

I remember reading about this in the past, but when I tried to notify ina-chan012 of this thread, but got this message.

Quote:
Error sending PM. Check with Secret Squirrel if this is unexpected.
Perhaps does it have something do with user's pm receiving setting?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

^ Yeah the same thing happens with rejection message, it just can't be sent. The user probably disabled private messaging altogether (control panel/edit options/enable pm). Isn't there a way to circumvent this for at least notifications/rejections?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:57 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Interesting. Ina-chan hadn't confirmed his account yet, and apparently PMs don't work until you have. I've manually confirmed him, so maybe that will fix this.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:00 PM

If one's unconfirmed on a board he usually can't do anything in that board yet. But working with the vgmdb stuff around it already works? Sounds like a loophole.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:38 PM

I received a pm from ina-chan one or two years ago, and I think he has already got several rejection messages until yesterday though?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm pretty sure I also rejected some of ina-chan's edits earlier this year and didn't have that error when sending the rejection message.
Closed Thread