VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 26, 2015, 04:46 PM
Trusted Editor

Some English tracklist notes from my translation:

M2 海街diary (also the title of the CD/film) -- the official English title is "Our Little Sister" but the literal translation is "Seaside Town diary". Not really sure how to properly format this because it has both kanji and a regular English word. We have a few options, none of which I see as perfect

- "Seaside Town diary" for both M2 and Album Title -- ignores the official English title of "Our Little Sister" but maintains the formatting of "diary" and maintains word meaning.
- "Our Little Sister" for both M2 and Album Title -- acknowledges the official English title for the film but does not accurately reflect the actual title.
- "Our Little Sister" for the Album Title and "Seaside Town diary" for the track title -- acknowledges the official English title as the album title and maintains the meaning of the track title. I think this is the best option but I'm really not sure.
- "Umimachi diary", leave it untranslated in both or one or the other. Not a fan of untranslated titles in tracklists, though.

M9 紅葉ヶ谷 -- Not sure how to translate this even though I know it's "Momijigayatsu". I could leave it as Momijigayatsu, but that doesn't really help to understand what it means. The literal translation would be "Valley of the Autumn Leaves", but this is an actual place (or general area) in Nikaido, Kanagawa (Noted here from the other relevant story-based locations http://www.ammanu.edu.jo/wiki1/ja/ar...1%97diary.html). Momiji is the word for "Maple Tree" but is also used to describe autumn leaves and then ga + yatsu is Valley. I could leave "Momiji" untranslated like we normally leave "Sakura" untranslated but momiji isn't nearly as universally understood as sakura is. I am leaving it as "Valley of the Autumn Leaves" to truly represent what the song is about but since it's a place name leaving it as "Momijigayatsu" has some merit.

M14 -- さざ波通信 -- Sazanami Tsushin -- This is the name of a newsletter of a recent split-off party from the Japanese Communist Party in the late 90's to the early 00's and it doesn't sound like this is relevant to the movie but I haven't seen it. I don't know the time period for the film but I think it's relatively current so I can't say for sure.

M16 -- 波打ち際にて -- An argument could be made to say "At the Seashore" or "At the Shore" instead of "At the Beach" to just better align with "Seaside Town"/"Umimachi" verbiage but they sound strange.

M19 -- 柱の傷 -- Using "Scratched Pillar", I think it is one of those notched pillars/walls people use to measure themselves over the years and it may be a reference to the children's song "背くらべ" but I'm not sure.

M23~26, moved BGM to the end of the parenthetical title.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 05:27 PM
VGMdb Staff

According to the current guide, "Our Little Sister" can be put on the fourth album title line if it doesn't appear anywhere on the album packaging. If it does, it can go to the display line. No literal translation here (album title) in any case, unless it's really printed somewhere on the album as "Seaside Town diary".

As for the tracklist, literal or not, doesn't matter, it's your translation, you can do however you see it best.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 08:13 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I'm not sure why the few ratings this one had were relatively low, but I've listened to this one four times now and I think it's wonderful.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
I'm not sure why the few ratings this one had were relatively low, but I've listened to this one four times now and I think it's wonderful.
Chris, it seems like over the last several weeks you've been doing some Kanno collecting.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 02:16 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Chris, it seems like over the last several weeks you've been doing some Kanno collecting.
That’s an understatement.