VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:17 AM

Arrow SPRING 2014: Music scores in ongoing anime TV series

I think that I am against my previous decision to have one thread for all seasons. It wasn´t so bad idea at all

So far my favorites music in recent anime:

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - TAKU IWASAKI
Again really nice strings writting in first episode and no crazy electronics experiments so far.
It seems to be interesting anime to watch and I hope that bro-sis interaction will be kept on minimum.

Akuma no Riddle - YOSHIAKI FUJISAWA
Nice disharmonic piano pieces and more experimental sound not for everyday listening but interesting music.
Dark yuri anime, I will give it try.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - YUGO KANNO
Great sounding orchestral writting with some groovy tracks. Excellent.
It´s JoJo, I will be certainly watching this. I hope it will be same fun like previous seasons.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr - NAO TOKISAWA
Instrumental opening and good one - awesome! Music was decent and not very noticable, will be waiting for more to hear.
I will watch this one, dark anime with some interesting comic moments like 2x2 scene...

What´s your opinions about music or anime shows from spring season?

All the best
Porter
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

To each his own, we're all merely stating personal opinions after all. I love Iwasaki's electronica. Such as during the short martial arts practice.

The show sucks though, hyper bro-con sister and other predictable chara stereotypes. Can't imagine myself watching 25 more episodes of this stuff. I'll just wait for the soundtrack(s) to come out.

Last edited by Efendija; Apr 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 06:24 AM

Black Bullet - there is certainly Amano or TEHO among orchestrators, some nice orchestral cues in first episode.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 01:30 PM
Trusted Editor

I've just watched episode 1 of Isshukan Friends and I'm already enjoying the music. Haven't got any opinion on the series itself yet, just seeing where it goes.

Apart from that I've tried Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, but I quit after 5 minutes. The show is atrocious and the music is this bland, generic orchestral shit. No idea what Yamashita is doing there, but it doesn't appeal to me at all.

Any good shows which I might look into? Really haven't spotted anything yet, that captured my interest.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 02:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Any good shows which I might look into? Really haven't spotted anything yet, that captured my interest.
The second season of Mushishi is as awesome as ever, you should totally watch it if you haven't already

The other shows seem pretty generic to me, at least from the ones I watched so far. You might like Captain Earth if you're into mechas (Same director/writer/composer as Star Driver).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 03:30 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
The second season of Mushishi is as awesome as ever, you should totally watch it if you haven't already
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Quote:
You might like Captain Earth if you're into mechas (Same director/writer/composer as Star Driver).
Well, the mecha genre is quite broad. E.g. I enjoyed Full Metal Panic!, Eureka Seven and most recently Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. So based on this, would you still recommend it?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Well, the mecha genre is quite broad. E.g. I enjoyed Full Metal Panic!, Eureka Seven and most recently Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. So based on this, would you still recommend it?
It's a bit soon to say, don't really know anything on the story since it's original, but it seems quite different from those 3. I would say the closest one is Eureka Seven, although I don't think that Captain Earth will focus on romance as much as that, and the pacing seems to be a lot faster. Might be wrong though.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:21 AM

It was nice to hear pipe organ in 2nd episodes of Captain Earth, Kamigami no Asobi and Corda: Blue Sky.
I hope there will be more tracks with this incredible instrument.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 09:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Just watched the first episode of Mekakucity Actors, I have to say it was pretty good. Amazing direction (as expected by Shinbou), spot-on voice acting, great dialogues and music. Don't really know what to expect story-wise, but it seems interesting. Really recommended.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Just watched the first episode of Mekakucity Actors, I have to say it was pretty good. Amazing direction (as expected by Shinbou), spot-on voice acting, great dialogues and music. Don't really know what to expect story-wise, but it seems interesting. Really recommended.
I also like some of electronica music used in this anime.