VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:20 AM

Only Hitoshi Sakimoto as composer this time? What about the others? I hope he didn't improve "the wrong way" his originals...
If you've messed with "The Dalmasca Estersand" just a bit..!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 06:19 AM
Trusted Editor

AFAIK this is supposed to be the version of the soundtrack before it was "dumbed downed" to satisfy the various restrictions of the PS2 hardware. If that turns out to be true, then the album is kinda similar to the SD album by Kikuta.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This is the standard edition of the FFXII The Zodiac Age soundtrack, so it's exactly the same contents as the limited edition (minus the bonus disc): only the rearranged tracks from the remaster, not the PS2 soundtrack.

There's only Sakimoto's name for now because no one added the full credits yet. But the entire soundtrack has been rearranged, so Iwata, Matsuo, Uematsu et al. should be there as well. Plus Sakimoto composed 8 new tracks.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzito View Post
Only Hitoshi Sakimoto as composer this time? What about the others?
I'm sampling the album right now, track 22 is by Hayato Matsuo, so it's not only Sakimoto, fortunately. The fact that only Sakimoto is credited on the cover ("composed, arranged & produced by") is worrying though.

The PS2 soundtrack album has 100 tracks, this one has 102, Zanasea says there's 8 new, so some of the old ones have to be missing. I'm very curious about these arrangements and remasters but I'm also wary knowing how the FFX HD soundtrack remake turned out. I also noticed on the official tracklist page that 8 tracks don't have the "(Zodiac Age Version)" appended to their names — these could be the brand new ones or those not arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
AFAIK this is supposed to be the version of the soundtrack before it was "dumbed downed" to satisfy the various restrictions of the PS2 hardware.
If you compare the in-game music in the PS2 game with the 2006 soundtrack album, you'll hear that the latter already sounds great and only the in-game version was dumbed down, so I don't think these ~2016-2017 arrangements are Sakimoto's original 2003-2006 vision.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Jul 16, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
The PS2 soundtrack album has 100 tracks, this one has 102, Zanasea says there's 8 new, so some of the old ones have to be missing. I'm very curious about these arrangements and remasters but I'm also wary knowing how the FFX HD soundtrack remake turned out. I also noticed on the official tracklist page that 8 tracks don't have the "(Zodiac Age Version)" appended to their names — these could be the brand new ones or those not arranged.
The first soundtrack had tracks that weren't included in the game, which are omitted here because they weren't remastered, of course (not being in the game).

The tracks without "(Zodiac Age Version)" are new tracks. All tracks on this soundtrack are either remastered or new.