VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:32 PM
Trusted Editor

Default Triangle Original Soundtrack (TV drama)

Hey,

some weeks ago I finally got myself a copy of the Triangle soundtrack, after having an untagged rip on my disk for like years.

To my amazement the score is co-composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, whose music I usually avoid. The other composer is a guy supposedly called Yuuki Hayashi (林ゆうき).

Wikipedia
Drama Wiki

Hoping that there are some people here who are knowledgable about drama music: Does someone know this guys and can perhaps recommend any stuff by him?

Thanks,
liquid
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:14 AM
VGMdb Staff

He also worked with Hiroyuki Sawano & Takafumi Wada on the soundtrack for BOSS. 8 tracks, same amount he did for Triangle.

He's a relatively new composer (first solo soundtrack was in 2010). I haven't actually listened to any of his solo soundtracks but I know that, at the moment, he's composing for the currently airing Robotics;Notes anime with Takeshi Abo.

Last edited by cal; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Trusted Editor

Cool, that helps a lot. Thanks nextday!

Going to take a look at BOSS and maybe also at Robotics;Notes if it's available.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
Trusted Editor

BOSS is great. Also Sawano seems to be totally different when he scores these dramas.

I'm now also looking into jazz pianist Hiromi Uehara, who is the third composer on Triangle.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

I've listened to all of Sawano's soundtracks and his composition style is pretty consistent. I think I know what you mean though when you say his anime and drama soundtracks sound different. They're different mediums, after all.

Which anime soundtracks of his have you listened to and disliked? And if you're interested in some more of his drama soundtracks, I'd recommend Jigyaku no Uta (UMCK-1243) and Team Medical Dragon (UPCI-1047/UPCI-1074). The latter of those two is the soundtrack that first got him recognized as a composer.

I'm not familiar with Uehara. Looks like she doesn't really compose for soundtracks. I'm interested now though since I really like jazz.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Which anime soundtracks of his have you listened to and disliked?
- Guilty Crown
- Blue Exorcist
- Mobile Suite Gundam Unicorn

And let's say uninteresting/boring instead of "disliked". Dislike is such a strong emotion. Something which I didn't encounter at all during listening to these. It just passed right through me without any significant impact.

Quote:
And if you're interested in some more of his drama soundtracks, I'd recommend Jigyaku no Uta (UMCK-1243) and Team Medical Dragon (UPCI-1047/UPCI-1074). The latter of those two is the soundtrack that first got him recognized as a composer.
Great, always open to some recommendations!

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Uehara. Looks like she doesn't really compose for soundtracks. I'm interested now though since I really like jazz.
She certainly knows how to pound the piano. I already like her, maybe because she's a bit like Aki (without the vocals of course). But you really see that she's into what she does.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
- Guilty Crown
- Blue Exorcist
- Mobile Suite Gundam Unicorn

And let's say uninteresting/boring instead of "disliked". Dislike is such a strong emotion. Something which I didn't encounter at all during listening to these. It just passed right through me without any significant impact.
Hmm... I'm having trouble figuring out what you find uninteresting. You find composers like Sawano and Oshima boring, which is literally the exact opposite of me (next thing I know, you'll be saying you find Kanno boring too).

I'll be interested to know what you think of his soundtrack for Team Medical Dragon, then, since it's a fairly normal Sawano soundtrack. I recommended Jigyaku no Uta because it's more unique.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
next thing I know, you'll be saying you find Kanno boring too
Actually yes, at least this applies to some of her scores: Macross (everything I listened to, doesn't matter if old or recent), GitS, Brain Powerd and probably some more.

But she has also done:
Wolf's Rain, Ragnarok Online 2, Uncharted Waters 2, Napple Tale... or more recently, Kids on the Slope.

And these are terrific IMO.

Quote:
I'll be interested to know what you think of his soundtrack for Team Medical Dragon, then, since it's a fairly normal Sawano soundtrack. I recommended Jigyaku no Uta because it's more unique.
Reporting back once I've given these a listen. Thanks again for the recommendations!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:09 PM
Trusted Editor

Just a short update. I skipped the Sawano stuff entirely and went straight to the Hayashi-only material.

Checked out and was immediately impressed:
Strawberry Night
Rich Man, Poor Woman
DOCTORS

This guy is great. Check out the DOCTORS theme for strings and pf: Link

EDIT: And it's certainly good to see him scoring a large portion of the Robotics;Notes anime soundtrack.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Mar 14, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm listening to the samples for those soundtracks you mentioned and they sound nice. Going to check them out, thanks.

I was surprised to see he was the main composer for Robotics;Notes. I expected Abo (since he was the game composer) but it turns out he wasn't even involved. Hopefully we'll see this guy scoring more anime in the future.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday
Hopefully we'll see this guy scoring more anime in the future.
Well that didn't take long. It was announced today that Yuki Hayashi will be in charge of the music for Blood Lad, a TV anime airing this July.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
Trusted Editor

Thanks for the update nextday. Going to keep my eyes on this project!