VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Eh, the digital manual in the video lists far more people than are on that mobygames page (the credits seem to only cover page 33, there are 24 more people on page 32).
They're actually both the same page. If you watch while it flips through the booklet, it only goes one page at a time -- it moves the page on the right to the left, then puts a single new page on the right -- which is certainly confusing! So there's just the one page of credits. The same picture is also on the bottom of both, which is a dead giveaway.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:53 AM

Meh, thanks for the clarification. Even had screenshots and didn't notice. ;_;
Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:39 AM

https://youtu.be/JRjrifi38Ks?t=211

Sounds like all her other battle themes, same instrumentation and rhythm as usual, but I like it.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 01:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1ZETO86zI

It's "Rage Awakened" from KH2.5 ReMIX, if I'm correct.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 03:54 AM

Uh, you absolutely are. I don't know anything about the KH2 OST. I'm a bad scientist.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 06:57 AM

Any news about Mrs. Shimomura and her work on FFXV or KHIII? It's been quiet a lot long since the latest trailers showed up. Is she working on anything else besides these major projects?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:28 AM

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, for which she composed as usual, just released.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 01:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, for which she composed as usual, just released.
It released in Japan last month, and is releasing in the US on the 22nd of this month. As both a huge Shimomura and Mario fan, I'm very, VERY excited.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 02:14 AM
VGMdb Staff

Shimomura is composing the music for Kenji Kamiyama's new film Hirune Hime. It has been a long time since she composed for an anime.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:53 AM

Did anyone catch her concert at Abbey Road studios to perform music from FF XV? That was pretty good, I hope Square Enix posts a recording soon.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:03 PM

It's on Final Fantasy XV channel : https://youtu.be/T0dabzg9GbM
video starts at 46:36
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:04 PM
VGMdb Staff

The VOD is here: https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix/v/88092357?t=60m00s

Twitch, I believe, has better audio than YouTube.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
As first mentioned in this thread: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6746

I am still looking for the Yoko Shimomura-composed vocal single:「荊の道」
Short sample available here: http://rmix.net/music/03_music_01.html

This song may appear in a (rare) future album or may be available (or already is available) as an official free download or paid download. If you know where I can find the full song, please post in this thread or PM me. Even if you are reading this 5 or 10 years from now, let me know.

Back in 2011, the full song was available, for a short period, as a promotional free download or to be more precise, stream (and therefore download, same thing). If you somehow still have a copy of this, let me know.
Japanese Internet users commenting on the news of the promotional free download: http://ceron.jp/url/www.rmix.net/mus...3_music_s.html

The song appearing on an album is not an impossible event. There is a precedent: http://vgmdb.net/album/27643 M2.18 Yoko Shimomura [~R:MIX Stage from "MAOU TENSYOU": Main Theme / ~R:MIX舞台 「魔王転生 MAOUTENSYOU」より メインテーマ~]
This album contains a rare Shimomura song from the same relatively unknown Japanese-exclusive source (i.e. MAOUTENSYOU from the R:MIX organisation).

Bounty: I will pay you $5USD $10USD to your PayPal account if you can find this music file (proper full version, preferably the untouched original .swf) and send it to me, provided that at the time of the song-transferal, the song was not available on any album or any official paid download link. In general, this means the file is from your hard drive or someone else's. Furthermore, the $5 bounty also applies if you can lead me to, if for some reason I somehow missed/overlooked it, an official free download (has the author's i.e. Shimomura's, or those whom it may concern's permission), provided that this free download was available prior to the 19th of February, 2014. "Mere" information leading to the album (past or future), official paid download (past or future), or official free download (future) would of course be appreciated, I just can't pay ya.
Well, in my quest to fulfill my own bounty and obtain Yoko Shimomura's "Ibara no Michi (Path of Roses)" song, I went through the trouble of grabbing the 魔王転生 MaouTensyou DVD but unfortunately, the situation was less than ideal. The song in context isn't exactly crystal clear and it is interrupted by sound effects and acting (well, it IS theater). I was expecting that but I was also hoping for a bonus jukebox menu or something, which there was not.

Since the song still doesn't seem to be released on an album, then we've only got the 30 second sample and the song, sort of complete, but with flaws (see above paragraph). On that note, I have uploaded both to my YouTube channel:

Yoko Shimomura / Ibara no Michi (Path of Roses) 30 Second Sample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxhIOxrKgag
This is the same thing as on the website, but I figure that nobody knows about that website so I'll spread it/publicise it on YouTube so it gets more attention, somehow.

R:MIX / Maou Tenshou & Yoko Shimomura / Ibara no Michi (Path of Roses)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLKCVi5qoI
Original content here probably since this DVD is rare as hell. Basically what you're watching is theater and the part I uploaded is somewhere about 3/4 into the story, from the beginning of the song to the end. There may or may not be spoilers but it's all in Japanese anyway.

Here's the credits and liner notes for the song:
作曲:下村陽子/編曲:MARS (i.e. Composition: Yoko Shimomura / Arrangement: MARS)
ヴォーカルアレンジ:太田光宏/ギター:MARS/作詞:町田誠也
歌:清田愛未・伊田恵美・岸川恭子・粋夏・軟鉄兄弟・MARS・堀川りょう
絶望はあらゆる形で勇者達に降り注ぎ、それでも残された命は立ち上がることを決める。 勝てることなど無いとわかっていても向かう先に信念があると信じて。

As for the DVD/play in general, I assume it's a story about good and evil, love and betrayal, war and peace etc... it's pretty long, 2+ hours.

Furthermore, I also got another two of R:MIX's DVDs: ストラルドブラグ 魔神邂逅 (Struldbruggs: Majin Kaikou) and 魔王降臨 Live Side and Evil Side (Maou Kourin). Both of which involve Yoko Shimomura (among other game musicians). I get the feeling all of these stories have a common link with a certain demon king.

The Maou Kourin DVD does have a nice little bonus: a 30 minute or so interview with Shimomura which may or may not already exist on YouTube and/or Nico Nico Video (Is Nico Nico even a thing in Japan anymore? They probably switched to YouTube by now à la Mixi/Facebook).

In any case, the everlasting search continues...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 01:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Phono made me aware on IRC that she composed for the smartphone game "Egglia", sort of a spritual sequel to "The Legend of Mana":
English website

Some music is in the trailer.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 08:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Shimomura co-composed the music for the smartphone game "Black Knight and White Devil" which was released today.

A promotional video for the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVU8O2ggbEM

Quote:
Black Knight and White Devil

Music: Shota Kageyama, Yoko Shimomura
Orchestration: Tomomichi Takeoka, Adam Klemens, Megumi Tagawa, Rio Kohyama, Souhei Kano, Kentaro Sato

Recording & Mixing Engineer: Yoshiyuki Watanabe (Victor Studio), Kazuhiko Misumi (Tonmeister)
Mastering Engineer: Takanari Oyama (Studio O3 Tokyo), Takafumi Wada (Dimension Cruise)

Co-Production: Harmonics International
Sound Effects & Sound Design: Jun Fukuda

[Session in Prague]
Orchestra: Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Adam Klemens
Chorus: Kuhn Mixed Choir

[Session in Tokyo]
Orchestra: Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra
Conductor: Shinpei Sasaki
Chorus: Tokyo Philharmonic Chorus

[Musicians for Shota Kageyama]
Drums: Ken Higeshiro
(Except for 1 anime cutscene track: Kiyo Takiyama)
Acoustic & Electric Bass: Yoshinori Uchida
Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Mandolin, Banjo: Hiroaki Tsutsumi
Violin: Tomoko Akaboshi, Kon Shirasu
Pipes & Whistles: Akio Noguchi
Shakuhachi: Hideki Ishigaki (HIDE×HIDE)
Shamisen: Hideki Onoue (HIDE×HIDE)

Last edited by cal; Aug 29, 2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:45 AM

Wow this music is really good for Egglia I wish there is a OST for it since it sounds alot like LoM.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
Wow this music is really good for Egglia I wish there is a OST for it since it sounds alot like LoM.
granted... ost got announced (released by harmonics)

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 1, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 09:02 AM

Sweet now to wait for it
Old Jul 16, 2021, 02:36 PM

Seems like Yoko Shimomura has composed a new 45-minute original piece of orchestral music called "Merregnon: Land of Silence", which will premiere in an online stream on Sep 10, 2021:

https://www.konserthuset.se/en/merregnon

The piece is arranged by Jonne Valtonen and produced by Thomas Böcker, who are maybe most known for Symphonic Fantasies and Final Symphony.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHarmony View Post
Seems like Yoko Shimomura has composed a new 45-minute original piece of orchestral music called "Merregnon: Land of Silence", which will premiere in an online stream on Sep 10, 2021:

https://www.konserthuset.se/en/merregnon

The piece is arranged by Jonne Valtonen and produced by Thomas Böcker, who are maybe most known for Symphonic Fantasies and Final Symphony.
wow, a whole symphony? My immediate thought is a quote from Yoko (I forget which interview, and I'm paraphrasing) where she basically was talking about how relatively difficult she finds it to compose music outside of the usual VGM paradigm i.e. Game Director wanted so many minutes of a theme, to which she's like "sorry no can do, I can give you this many minutes but no more!"

However this is still faaantastic news and I would love to hear how she overcame such a challenge. The short piano reduction sample at the bottom sounds great - and performed excellently by the pianist (Mischa Cheung).
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:07 AM

It's out now and you can watch it for free on Konserthuset Play (hosted by Vimeo). Be sure to turn on closed captions in the beginning!

EDIT: I'd say it diverges a lot from what we've come to know Yoko Shimomura for these past few decades. Very nice to see her take a shot at the symphonic format. It's also a very cute story with great animation work, so you should definitely give it a listen! From what I can tell, it's less reliant on key instruments and leitmotifs to represent the characters than, say, Peter and the Wolf. Instead, as with the previous Merregnon soundtracks, Shimomura paints a musical image of individual scenes from an overarching story. Still, you could probably notice some common motifs on repeat watches. The credits list reads like a who's who of the video game industry in parts:

Spoiler:
A film produced by
Yellow Tone

MERREGNON: LAND OF SILENCE

Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra

Conductor
Andreas Hanson

Narrator
Sofia Wilhelmina Mustaniemi

A concert production by
Merregnon Studios

Created, directed and produced by
Thomas Böcker

Original music composed by
Yoko Shimomura

Concert arrangement by
Jonne Valtonen

Story written by
Frauke Angel

Additional arrangers
Yasunori Nishiki / Michael Fuchs

Credits piano performance by
Mischa Cheung

Mastering engineer
Holger Lagerfeldt

Original character design and illustration by
Sun Creature Studio

Additional illustration by
Studio GOINDOL, Inc.

Animation director
Jungsoo Hur

Production manager
Geunjeong Kim

Art director
Woojin Seok

Illustrators
Jihyun Kim / Jinwon Jung / Minchang Kim / Jaewook Joo

Motion composition
Jiyun Lee

Coordinator
Jowon Jung

Concept artwork by
Aymeric Kevin

Translators
Magnette Coetzer / Claire Storey / Marcus Wehner / Andreas Wollny / Saemi Wollny

Music preparation
Roger Wanamo

Executive producer
Thomas Böcker

Director of photography
David Tarrodi

Lighting designer
Rolf Carlbom

Camera operators
Abram Viklund / Iga Mikler / Jesper Klevenås / Hanna Kriisa / Paul Evans / Simon Olsson

First assistant camera
Joel Brunskog

Grip
Nandor Hegedius / Andreas Hemming / Arvid Bellander

Drone pilot
Henrik Jensen

Script assistant
Håkan Ekman

Film editing
David Tarrodi

Sound recording producer
Lars Nilsson

Executive and artistic director
Stefan Forsberg

© & ℗ 1999-2021 Merregnon Studios
Merregnon is a registered trademark of Merregnon Studios
www.merregnon.com

Filmed in June 2021

Published online 10 September 2021

Produced for Konserthuset Play

KONSERTHUSET STOCKHOLM

Principal founder
Region Stockholm

Main sponsor
SEB

Last edited by zierts; Sep 10, 2021 at 01:36 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 07:06 AM

Shimomura confirms she was in charge of the arrangements for the Mario RPG remake.
https://twitter.com/midiplex/status/1671532275605946380
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:15 PM

Okay, right, so, this might sound kinda random, but there was a couple of years where I was under the impression that Yoko was responsible for the Wily Fortress theme in Megaman 5, but after I started to actually search, I only ended up finding that Mari Yamaguchi did all the music, which makes sense since she was the sole composer from that game, but then where did that thing about Yoko working on that particular track from MM5 come from? I think I might've seen it on IMDB before and thought it was accurate enough as a source, but now I can't say it's accurate since it's the only place that said anything about this, and now I'm really curious why that was even a thing that popped up there in the first place tbh lol
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Ages ago (like, more than 15 years), it was asserted that somewhere on Yoko Shimomura's website, an old works list or blog post or something, she said that she made some small, uncredited contribution to MM5. So a lot of references, including this website, used to credit her for the game. However, I and other people have tried multiple times to find where she allegedly said this and been unable to, and to my knowledge she's never said in an interview or anything that she worked on the game, so I would treat it as apocryphal. Probably, someone either misread something or flat out made it up.

Her having done the Wily stage theme specifically is a second layer of made-up on top of that: someone guessing that if she worked on the game, that song sounds the most like her. Or the least like Mari Yamaguchi. Or something. Anyway, don't believe it until there's proof, which there will probably never be
Old Nov 6, 2023, 03:44 PM

So did Shimomura do her own arrangements for the SNES/SFC Street Fighter II OST, or didn't she?

This is a 2023 "did we figure it out yet?" post
Old Nov 8, 2023, 03:44 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
So did Shimomura do her own arrangements for the SNES/SFC Street Fighter II OST, or didn't she?

This is a 2023 "did we figure it out yet?" post
She mentioned it in an interview (archived): http://web.archive.org/web/200905311.../sp005_3_1.php

Here's an excerpt, but there is more on the link:

Quote:
安部: ちなみにこの時期、『ストII』のスーパーファミコン版もあるんですけど、これは作業は担当されていないん ですか?
下村: 『ストII』のスーファミ版は、自分で担当しました。楽器の波形録ったり、乗せたりとかはしてないんですけ ど、曲データはほとんど自分で調整しましたね。
Sorry, I just dropped this in DeepL, maybe someone can translate more properly:

Quote:
Abe: By the way, there was also a Super Nintendo version of "Street Fighter II" during this period.
Shimomura: I was in charge of the Super Famicom version of "Street Fighter II. I didn't record the waveforms of the instruments or add them to the game, but I adjusted most of the song data myself.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 01:37 PM

Very nice, that seems quite straightforward and conclusive. Thank you Zanasea!
So yes she did the arrangements herself, but wasn't the synth manipulator/programmer.