VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
VGMdb Staff

Default Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition Soundtrack

Tracks are not numbered, there is no cover art specifically made for the OST, no image is embedded in the MP3 files. Even the cover art for the game itself is very low resolution (200x200 or so).

It's interesting to note the soundtrack unlocks once you finish the game, because the game and all bonus content (OST, wallpapers, concept art, making of videos) is packed together in a single installaton executable file.
However, if you know where's the game installation folder (after the actual installation), you can easily locate 'soundtrack' folder with the mp3s and play the files just fine which defeats the envisioned necessity of unlocking the OST.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Like i said in a previous post.. 90% of Hidden Object games like this one includes an "official soundtrack", but to me they are just game rips..
low quality, no track titles nor numbers, no credits... it's not worth being in the database.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
VGMdb Staff

You can't call them gamerips because they are officially published by the copyright owner, this is not an unauthorized gamerip by a random guy on the internetz and then uploaded on sharing sites, torrents etc. violating the copyright in the process. The quality isn't 'magical' 320 kb/s mp3, or iTunes famous AAC+ codec and so on. And of course you won't see these kind of OSTs as CD releases because such move is financially unimaginable for small developers such as Eipix. This is the only way the music can be published for many of those small-time game companies.

Definitely worth an entry. Don't see any problem with it. Why such negative vibes in "not worth being in the database" remark, who are we to judge what's the most efficient way of distributing original music of the games (again from a financial point)? Copyright owners decided it and that's entirely up to them along with the encoding quality they chose.

Last edited by Efendija; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:02 PM

Angelina Jolie and that skinny guy from Ferris Bueller seem to endorse this! Oh wait.

That said, my vote goes for letting this be in here.

(On a similar note, I thought this was the soundtrack for Alfred Hitchcock presents The Final Cut...)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Because if we do accept such kind of "files", then we need to accept every game that have a "soundtrack" -> music files in mp3 or any other audio format directly listenable somewhere in their installation directory.

I am also curious to know if the mp3 files are "USED" by the game for the music in games of that kind. If yes, i do consider silly (and worth nothing) to promote an "offered" soundtrack.
And if you think we should accept it because it's listenable in game as a bonus content, it's nothing more than a soundtest or any other music menu... that millions of games have.

Last edited by Myrkul; Aug 12, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
VGMdb Staff

Oh yes, forgot to mention that, when you do oficially unlock it, (aka finish the game) there's an option (from the menu) to save the soundtrack to a place outside of game installation folder, so it becomes available even for people who don't search the installation folder, so no, this is not your classical sound test menu (listenable only as you put it - it's not like that).

Esentially, it become standalone OST folder if the option is used, and it's just like any GOG soundtrack in that way (for the sake of comparison). But I know you consider all official GOG soundtracks as gamerips too. And you think they're also not worthy an entry.....

Last edited by Efendija; Aug 12, 2012 at 07:50 PM.