VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 25, 2019, 02:32 AM

Default Is mora.jp basically just a higher quality iTunes?

Recently I noticed that the music sold on mora.jp were 320kbps AAC-LC files and if I recall correctly the ACC files sold on iTunes are only 256kbps.
Thus, (unless I'm missing something) if there's an album which is being sold on both sites, then you'd probably be better off getting it from mora.jp instead of iTunes, right?

Additionally, I've read that ACC files are superior to MP3 files, but I was curious as to how much better they actually were and whether or not they had any significant drawbacks.
Like, how well does a ACC file that's 256kbps (iTunes) or 320kbps (Mora) compare to a MP3 file that's 256kbps (Amazon) or 320kbps? (Google Play)
Old Oct 25, 2019, 04:12 AM

At the higher bitrates it's basically irrelevant -- it's really the lower bitrates (192 and below) that AAC shines over Mp3. At 320 they are probably effectively identical.
Honestly the best quality is LAME-encoded V0 MP3 because it's effectively the same quality at 320 for smaller space.

(That all said, lossy formats are dumb anyway and lossless is ALWAYS the way to go when possible).
Old Oct 25, 2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
(That all said, lossy formats are dumb anyway and lossless is ALWAYS the way to go when possible).
Naturally, I mainly wanted to know because there are many digital exclusive albums that are unfortunately only available in lossy formats.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 06:10 PM
VGMdb Staff

I don't really trust shops that sell lossless. There's no quality control. Even on mora I've found lossy transcodes being sold as lossless.

But as for your question, Terra is correct. There's no discernible difference between any of the lossy formats you listed.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 09:35 PM

I don't really trust sites that sell lossless either. I usually only get lossless digital albums if there are no physical releases. I do often buy albums from Bandcamp, but even there you might find the occasional transcodes.

I suppose I'll just go with the 320kbps ACC from mora.jp over the 256kbps ACC files on iTunes. The files might be slightly larger, but space isn't really an issue for me so I don't see any reason not to go with the one that has a higher bitrate, even if there isn't any notable difference.

Just so long as the ones on mora.jp aren't actually 256kbps masquerading as 320kbps or something weird like that. I've heard of digital lossless albums that were actually lossy, but I don't think I've ever heard of anywhere selling lossy files that were actually a lower bitrate than what was advertised so I don't think I need to worry about that.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Oct 25, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:54 PM

As far as shops that sell lossy->lossless transcodes are concerned, be also wary of Qobuz, got some stuff there that turned out to be lossy.
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Oct 26, 2019, 04:21 AM

How do you buy stuff from mora?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 07:37 AM

If you're trying to buy music from sites like mora then you'll need a VPN in order to bypass its IP check. If you're looking for a more detailed explanation then I recommend reading this.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Oct 26, 2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 03:12 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
If you're trying to buy music from sites like mora then you'll need a VPN in order to bypass its IP check. If you're looking for a more detailed explanation then I recommend reading this.
That guide is overly complicated. You don't need to buy Bitcash or gift cards or whatever. Just select Amazon Pay as the payment method. It uses the card you have on file for your Amazon account (there's no region check).
Old Oct 26, 2019, 06:50 PM

Do I have to make an account? I tried and it said this "外部アカウント連携できませんでした。連携しているサービスをご確認ください。"
Old Oct 27, 2019, 07:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladatree View Post
Do I have to make an account? I tried and it said this "外部アカウント連携できませんでした。連携しているサービスをご確認ください。"
You need a mora account, an Amazon.co.jp account to link to your mora account, and a VPN/proxy to bypass the IP check.