VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:21 AM

Wow, this is one is a surprise to see. Big names in there, and quite promising with such a varied selection.
I'm wondering: anyone knows if these are full-fledged arrangements, or chiptune (as the title implies) versions in similar style as in MM9?
I find it rather redundant for them to be doing chiptune arrangements of chiptunes
Whatever the case, looking forward to this.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing Darksun View Post
I'm wondering: anyone knows if these are full-fledged arrangements, or chiptune (as the title implies) versions in similar style as in MM9?
There's an MP3 preview of it here. It does sound a bit redundant on paper to arrange them as chiptunes, but the more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by the idea.

There's a very nice selection of tunes and artists here. Can't wait!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

DO WANT

Not only an interesting and varied line up of arrangers, but the selection of music from "newer" games in the classic Mega Man series, such as Rockman 8 and Rockman & Forte.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:56 PM

Listening to it right now. I'm very impressed. Not only the quality of the music, but the fact that so many lesser appreciated tracks got arrangement love here. Gravity Man, the Intro Stage of Mega Man & Bass, Bright Man's stage, etc. When I first heard of this album, I expected to see mostly MM2 stuff on here but they really surprised me.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Track 5's composer is Naoshi Mizuta.

Source:
http://vimeo.com/6846873
Starting at 3:50

I was under the impression that he was the composer anyway. His style is prevalent in that track and a few others.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:49 AM

I have to say, I'm listening to it right now, thought it would be craps but it's really good; will buy a copy.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Track 5's composer is Naoshi Mizuta.
And per this interview, Ground Man's theme from R&F/MM&B, arranged in track 6, was composed by Akari Kaida. One of my favorites from the game, might I add (although the opening stage theme is one of the best SNES tunes of all time).
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:29 AM

i would love to see a complete composer breakdown for R&F. i guess those are the only two tunes that we have info for at the moment...

anyway, this release kicks ass, virt and KPLECRAFT's arrangements especially.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The booklet has lots of great info. Most of the original composers are named, but the exceptions are tracks 9 and 10 having no further details.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Added the additional title "CHIP TUNED ROCKMAN" since that appears a few times on Inti's website (image here and browser title here).
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the scans, Carl. Was anyone fortunate enough to get this at the Tokyo Game Show?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Otaku.com shop has it for $30.
http://www.raging.otaku.com/cgi-bin/...?itemid=78122a
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
The booklet has lots of great info. Most of the original composers are named, but the exceptions are tracks 9 and 10 having no further details.
Those two games didn't have end credits, so I guess they couldn't track down who did the music to them.

Pretty badass that we got credits for most of those though; it's not a full breakdown of the games, but it's a start. Hell, we got Wily Stage 1 from MM2, that covers half of all fan arrangements. And I got my top two MM tracks of all time (I could listen to Bright Man and the R&F opening stage theme until the heat death of the universe), so I'm pretty content.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:25 AM

That's a really cool chiptuned album indeed.
Special mention to Gravityman arrangement by Zinger, groovy chip style at its best.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
i would love to see a complete composer breakdown for R&F. i guess those are the only two tunes that we have info for at the moment...

anyway, this release kicks ass, virt and KPLECRAFT's arrangements especially.
I would also love to see a full breakdown of the music tracks for R&F.....and Rockman 1 & 2 & 4 & 7 & X1 & X3 & X5 & X7 & X8.

Make it happen Capcom. Please?

EDIT (02/03/10): On second thought, lets get Inti Creates involved in this petition; they have the key and the courtesy to actually disclose this information.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:31 PM

Because I have nowhere else to put this:

Rockman & Forte
Kirikiri-chan (Toshihiko Horiyama - Confirmed via Remastered Tracks Rockman Zero): (Title, Stage Select, Game Start, Stage Clear, Get a Weapon, Save & Load, King Stage Demo, King Stage, Game Over, perhaps?)---->Anything with a whailing guitar that sounds like Yuki Iwai or Setsuo Yamamoto

Naoshi Mizuta: Staff Roll and Player Select sound like Opening Stage---> Also, anything that has a more complex, slower melody and very low use of guitar and/or is generally longer [Think Dan's Theme from Street Fighter Zero]. ---->Pirateman (?), Astroman; Also, anything with a panflute sound--->Dynamoman, Magicman, Burnerman (Connection made from similar melody between Dynamoman and Opening Stage); Shop (sounds like Burnerman); Database (Sounds like Astroman)

Akari Kaida: Other than Groundman, Boss has the same-sounding start; the bassline in Last Stage is the same as the one found in the first six seconds of Boss, just slowed down a little; Crystal Stage and King Stage Boss both have the same organ-esque sound as Boss and Groundman. Tenguman sounds like MMBN1, Pirateman sounds like Tenguman (via the piano), and Coldman sounds like Pirateman.

Also, the GBA version was arranged by T. Arisaka ---------------> Chihiro Arisaka (?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w4oBYSOREU at 2:38

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Oct 30, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:31 PM

Dude, I love Coldman's theme... as well as Pirateman, Boss and King Stage.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:40 PM

just noticed:
09 Megawater_S Stage, WILY TOWER 4 (Area-2A03 Navy mix)

the end portion of this track breaks into 2 songs from the game 'carrier air wing' by Manami Matsumae

not sure how to express this in the notes
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:55 PM

Is Tengu Man from the PSX or Saturn version of the game?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Is Tengu Man from the PSX or Saturn version of the game?
PSX Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruih-aBg8-4 at 3:27

Kudos to rushjet1 for setting the record straight once and for all. PSX theme came first.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Aug 28, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
PSX Version
I'm shot down again.

Funny, I actually clicked on that link before.

But I didn't wait to hear that other versions were posted.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 08:20 AM

Added a larger front cover from Carl scans, composer information from track 10 according to "Rockman Sound Box 2" and a "(not in the booklet) observation on composer information from tracks 9 and 10.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Chrystian View Post
Added a larger front cover from Carl scans, composer information from track 10 according to "Rockman Sound Box 2" and a "(not in the booklet) observation on composer information from tracks 9 and 10.
Koji Murata confirmed to a user here through his facebook that he did not work on Rockman World 5.

Also, has it ever been proven that Kinuyo Yamashita did the music for Wily Wars? I know Murata claimed someone with an alias similar to Yamashita worked on it, but she never included it in her works list, and has never mentioned it at all, as far as I know.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
Koji Murata confirmed to a user here through his facebook that he did not work on Rockman World 5.

Also, has it ever been proven that Kinuyo Yamashita did the music for Wily Wars? I know Murata claimed someone with an alias similar to Yamashita worked on it, but she never included it in her works list, and has never mentioned it at all, as far as I know.
I think it has to be fixed on Rockman Sound Box 2, as the official credits to those games is in it. All I did was copying the information, and since it's the first major release of those two games, it should be fixed there first.

Also, I serached this information in its thread discussion, but couldn't find it. So, I'll leave the information in this one like it is, since the only reliable source from me is Rockman Sound Box 2.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 01:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The only official credits in Sound Box 2 are for Rockman & Forte; all the other credits there were dumped by a user and there is inaccurate & incomplete info that has yet to be corrected. So I wouldn't use it as a source for anything but R&F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
He actually says the name "Yamashita" (without a first name), not an alias. You are absolutely right that Kinuyo Yamashita has never listed the game in either her English or Japanese works lists, though.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
The only official credits in Sound Box 2 are for Rockman & Forte; all the other credits there were dumped by a user and there is inaccurate & incomplete info that has yet to be corrected. So I wouldn't use it as a source for anything but R&F.
The people had spoken. Edited it back, and put both games composers as unknown.