VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

I bought this expecting to have the Shaft boss battle music, and it isn't on the disc! Talk about a let down. How can they call it OST when it isn't even complete?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:05 PM

This one only has the redbook audio from the game disc on it. The Dracula X Chronicles OST, however, has all the missing PC Engine synth.

But as far as I'm concerned, the Dracula X disc is just a bonus for the superior Bloodlines soundtrack.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
This one only has the redbook audio from the game disc on it. The Dracula X Chronicles OST, however, has all the missing PC Engine synth.

But as far as I'm concerned, the Dracula X disc is just a bonus for the superior Bloodlines soundtrack.

Vampire Killer has some good tunes, but I prefer Dracula X tunes.

What is redbook audio?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 03:49 PM

Red Book audio refers to music recorded on the CD in "standard" CD format. Music you could play if you put the CD in your CD player. All music in disc-based games these days are in streaming formats. Anything that wasn't red book in a PCE game was likely chip tune.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Did anybody resolve the "Op. 13"/"Slash" issue? Is the tracklist on this album incorrect?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:01 PM

for what it's worth i just checked Slash out on magradio, and it appears to be the right track. (trivia: it's a favourite castlevania tune of mine)
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

By the way, I just uploaded new scans of the booklet front and back, and I color corrected them so they look rather close to the actual booklet.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 04:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Disc 1 features arrangements of songs from Castlevania: Dracula X (aka Akumajo: Dracula XX (yes in Japan it was called XX), but also known as Castlevania V: Vampire's Kiss in Europe)

Anyways, to prove my point, here's a video from stage 5' where "Painting of the Phantom Ship" is the BGM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgqCvqP-yRY#t=4m28s

So anyways, I added Castlevania: Dracula X to the Products and SNES to Systems since this game was for the SNES.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Disc 1 features arrangements of songs from Castlevania: Dracula X (aka Akumajo: Dracula XX (yes in Japan it was called XX), but also known as Castlevania V: Vampire's Kiss in Europe)

Anyways, to prove my point, here's a video from stage 5' where "Painting of the Phantom Ship" is the BGM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgqCvqP-yRY#t=4m28s

So anyways, I added Castlevania: Dracula X to the Products and SNES to Systems since this game was for the SNES.
That's incorrect, it's easily understandable that a cd manifactured in 1993 cannot feature arrangements from a 1995 game. The Super Famicom Dracula XX has mostly tunes from the original PCE DUO Rondo of Blood, therefore your addition should be disregarded.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:48 PM

That's a really bad stretch of what the "products/platforms represented" field is supposed to mean. I see the edits have been approved, but I strongly suggest they be reverted.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:39 AM
VGMdb Staff

I removed the addition of the SNES version (Dracula XX) to the represented fields since, as Gambler pointed out, this album can't really feature any music from that game.

I wonder if we should keep 'Castlevania: Rondo of Blood' as an alternate title, since that title would seem to specifically refer to the PSP version of the game included in the 'Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles' release. (but it is useful for search purposes though i guess)
Old Feb 9, 2010, 05:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo has commonly been translated as Castlevania: Rondo of Blood long before the PSP version. I think I have seen it labeled as such in a couple gaming magazines as well (e.g. a Nintendo Power interview with Iga, if I recall correctly). But as you said, it's good for searches anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:36 AM

Default Grabbed it on eBay

I managed to score this on eBay for $10 shipped. I bought it with another CD from the same seller, the soundtrack to Castlevania Apocalypse, but unfortunately that turned out to be a bootleg, so it's on its way back. This is a great double disc and I agree that the main draw is definitely the Bloodlines soundtrack.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:57 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJMunn View Post
I managed to score this on eBay for $10 shipped.
If it's an authentic copy in good condition, that's a very good deal indeed
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I didn't take the time to look the release dates up... That was stupid. Sorry!

Last edited by Nisto; Dec 21, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:37 PM

it occurred to me (thanks to a post from Hellacia in the Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle thread) that this double set soundtrack is supposedly released in 03 nov, 1993.

However, the second disc has music from Vampire Killer, released in Japan on 18 March 1994.

Is this even possible? Do we have some incorrect data, or should we assume that the music featured on Megadrive made its first debut in CD format? That seems highly unlikely.

edit: the spine card seems to have a 2.11.95 (11 feb. or 2 nov.) which sounds a lot more reasonable for this disc.

Last edited by The Gambler; Feb 27, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The date on the Obi is the date when the Japanese price controls expire, which is 2 years minus 1 day from the release daate.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

And the release date is given on the back cover (93.11.3). Maybe the game, or at least the music, was already done by this point? In any case it clearly states that the music is from "Vampire Killer Mega Drive" in the booklet. And actually there's some text just under the tracklist there that might shed some light...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Did anybody resolve the "Op. 13"/"Slash" issue? Is the tracklist on this album incorrect?
I edited the album info notes. The printed tracklist of this album is indeed incorrect.

I report on this thread too the Op.13/Slash affair, since it's relevant for the album:

[1993, October] PCE DUO Game "Rondo of Blood" is released: Soundtest is correct - (in-game soundtest is correct)

[1993, November] KICA 7622 (Rondo OST): this is the first instance where track titles for these two compositions were swapped, thus originating the whole confused mess (cd package is wrong).

[1994, July] KICA 1145 Perfect Selection Dracula Battle: arrangement CD, features an arrangement of Slash, mislabeled as "Op.13" (cd package is wrong).

[1995] SNES game "Dracula XX" is released: only Op.13 is featured in the game, not Slash (game comes without a soundtest)

[2006] KMUS-0001 Castlevania 20th Anniversary Deluxe Music Collection. Compilation CD. Features three tracks from Rondo of Blood. Track 15 is indeed Op.13 (tracklist is correct).

[2007] Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles & relative OST - the long time error gets fixed. Op.13 is Op.13 and Slash is Slash (tracklist for LC1609-10 is correct, on both discs. Later European release KDE-CVDXC-OST is also correct.). In the polygonal remake, only Slash is used. Newly composed "Red Dawn" is used for the stage that once featured Op.13.

[2008] Castlevania Judgment & [2009] LC-1715 / GFCA-153 Judgment OST - featuring Slash (tracklist is correct).

[2010, March] GFCA 195-213 Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collection Box - lazy reprint of several soundtracks from the series. The box spans 18 discs but only three are relevant here:
GFCA-198 (fourth disc, Rondo OST): incorrect. They once again swapped names as they did in 1993 (cd package is wrong).
GFCA-208 (fourteenth disc, Dracula X Chronicles OST): correct: only Slash is present, and it retains its true name. (tracklist is correct)
GFCA-210 (sixteenth disc, Akumajo Dracula Judgment OST): correct once again. (tracklist is correct)

[2010, July] GFCA-228 Pachislot Akumajo Dracula II OST: features the same rendition of "Slash" found on Castlevania Judgment. (tracklist is correct)

[2010, August] Castlevania Harmony of Despair is released for XBLA. Following dowloadable music packs for the game will include an arrangement of Slash. (in-game soundtest is correct)

[2011, January 13] LC-1960 is Harmony of Despair OST release. It features Slash. (tracklist is correct)

[2011, January] LC-1957 Akumajo Dracula Tribute Vol.1 - features an arrangement of Slash, and thankfully it's correctly titled (Slash is Slash). (tracklist is correct)

Everything has been double checked on original physical media. To these official releases I could add these doujinshi albums:

[2008, August] Blood Liar by Pikopiko Zaemon: it features an arrangement of (correctly titled) Slash.

[2012, May] Castlevania: Chiptune of YM2203 by FREEZEMOON: it features an arrangement of (correctly titled) Slash.

You can find the same mini-FAQ in all the discussion threads for the following albums: KICA 7622, KICA 1145, GFCA 195-213. That is, all the three releases where Slash was incorrectly labeled as Op.13 and viceversa.

Last edited by The Gambler; Mar 8, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:23 PM
VGMdb Staff

Since I just played through the PCE DUO version of Chi no Rondo I took some shots of the staff roll. Here are all the sound related credits:

Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There are some pending tracktitle edits on which you might want to comment.

Blood Relations of Heaven and Earth (Stage 1 BGM) --> Divine Bloodlines (Stage 1 BGM)
Wild Dance in Phantasmic Hell (Boss Theme BGM) --> Dancing in Phantasmic Hell (Boss Theme BGM)
Illusionary Dance Music (Stage 8 · Dracula's Theme) --> Dance of Illusions (Stage 8 · Dracula's Theme)
March of the Saint (Richter Ending BGM) --> March of the Holy man (Richter Ending BGM)
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Blood Relations of Heaven and Earth (Stage 1 BGM) --> Divine Bloodlines (Stage 1 BGM)
Didn't we already establish "Divine Bloodlines" as the best translation of the track title in another thread somewhere here?

Also, while the other changes make the track titles sound less awkward, I don't know if they are accurate. Perhaps this is another case of older translations coming back up via misinformation? I'm beginning to think we need to start properly sourcing and approving translations on a regular basis so we can cut down on circular editing.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:06 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Added composition credit for disc 1, track 3 to akiropito, since he has uploaded the track on his BGM homepage: http://sound.jp/tochiro/x/index.xhtm
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Credits information corrected. As written in the booklet, Jigokuguruma Nakamura is the arranger of disc 2 tracks 24~27, not Konami Kukeiha Club.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I found this interesting tidbit in the 2ch link Revoc posted in another thread.

Somebody asked in IGA's blog, about X Chronicle (PSP remake OST) if stage 4 was "Slash" or "Op.13". IGA answers "Slash" is correct as he asked the composer so the OST was incorrect.

So maybe the sound test was wrong and the current notes aren't right?

EDIT: Metal Yuhki seems to imply from the liner notes he did arranges like 04, 06, 08 and 17

Last edited by Dag; Jun 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 07:24 AM

Is there any way to tell the difference between the original printing and the later (1998?) reprint?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:52 AM

is a reprint of this album confirmed at all? First time i've heard of this. I remember that a decade ago or so some website claimed they had found some boxes full of unsold stock...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:23 PM

That was Gamemusic.com
And it was the same edition at the least. It's possible it was repressed, but nothing actually was any different.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:35 PM

While I was trying to decode the credits on this album, I noticed an alias that I am not familiar with:

ともりん

Does anybody have any idea over who this is?