VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 29, 2012, 11:26 AM

Another? I basically worship Meguro, but I think the whole Persona thing is starting to wear out, at least as long as we're still at the same two entries!

But I guess the company itself is to blame more than anything, re-releasing and promoting the universe out of Persona 3 & and Persona 4 (moreso the latter).
Old May 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

That's probably the effect of Atlus being fully absorbed into Index Holdings in 2010.
It's all about "IP"s and "products" now. More rancid ports incoming...!

Where the hell is Kaneko
Old May 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
VGMdb Staff

I don't mind Persona, but I'm annoyed by how much they've been milking Persona 4 lately. The current console generation is going to end soon, so they really need to move on to Persona 5.

Oh, and I'm glad Meguro did a full version of the OP theme for this soundtrack. I wish he had done the same for P3 Fes though...
Old May 31, 2012, 11:16 PM

Well, it was nice to see a brand new IP like Catherine, which shows that Atlus is willing to come up with fresh and original titles other than just milking an already established series.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:28 AM

Persona 3 Portable OST blows this out of the water so bad.

Meguro's offerings aren't that great besides the new battle theme and while some of Kitajoh's tracks are groovy, most of it is forgettable (as in generic anime music). Also, the 8-bit remix of I'll Face Myself -Battle- is sort of disappointing. It just lacks the punch and I think it could've been arranged a bit differently.

I really, really hope Meguro is focusing on the new Shin Megami Tensei IV title which seems natural, since he is pretty much the main composer at Atlus at this point (with Atsushi Kitajoh and Toshiki Konishi assisting from the sides or working on side projects). All in all, I think it's safe to say his "work oneself insane" days of the 2002-2008 period are over since that was the time where he was in charge of almost all of the music in SMT games. I don't think he has reached his creative limit yet, though, far from it, but the thing is, there's not much he can do with this Persona craze going on and he having to pump out vocal songs all the time. But hey, maybe he enjoys this? I remember reading somewhere that Persona 3 for example was supposedly the style he always wanted to do (or was it P4?).

I'd really like him to try something like Strange Journey again, but polishing the sound a bit. While that soundtrack is often considered his worst, I think it has a pretty unique sound myself. The only issue I have with it is that as an old listener of Meguro's stuff, his string samples become a bit repetitive and to be fair, he's not that spectacular with strings outside some of his rock/pop songs.

Last edited by Raziel; Jun 28, 2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: t
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:54 PM

Is is just me or this soundtrack had like no real battle themes? I mean do all enemy encounters in this game are met with some funky music?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
Is is just me or this soundtrack had like no real battle themes? I mean do all enemy encounters in this game are met with some funky music?
Isn't Make History the new battle theme? I'm pretty sure a lot of the songs in the actual game are reused from the main soundtrack anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
Isn't Make History the new battle theme? I'm pretty sure a lot of the songs in the actual game are reused from the main soundtrack anyway.
Is it really, that's more like a song than a battle theme. Well maybe in game it's instrumental only. Anyway "Master of Tartarus" from P3 owns it like a baws.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLO View Post
Is it really, that's more like a song than a battle theme. Well maybe in game it's instrumental only. Anyway "Master of Tartarus" from P3 owns it like a baws.
I'm pretty sure it's vocalized in the game too, similar to the other normal battle themes of the series (Mass Destruction, Wiping All Out, etc.)
Old Jul 19, 2020, 08:14 PM
Trusted Editor

Changed "Maiden of the Empty Forest" to "Maiden of the Hollow Forest" to match the in-game name and changed "Revelations: Mitsuo" to "Shin Mitsuo Tensei" because it's supposed to be an obvious reference to Shin Megami Tensei.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 07:54 PM

Default Explanations for the Changes Made to Most of the Tracks' English Names

Tracks 02 ["Time to Make History"], 07 ["A Sky Full of Stars"], and 10 ["Snowflakes"]: Changed their names to how they're written in the in-game music player.

Tracks 03 ["Let's Hit the Beach!"], 11 ["Girl of the Hollow Forest"], 12 ["Memories"], and 15 ["Revelations: Mitsuo"]: Changed their names to what they're called in the in-game music player.

Track 08 ["New Year's with Friends"]: Changed its name to what the hatsumōde cutscene's called in the in-game cutscene player.

Track 14 ["Snowflakes (Powder Snow Mix)"]: Changed "SNOWFLAKES" to "Snowflakes" because that's how the word's written in the in-game music player. Also, I've changed the hyphens to parentheses and capitalized its contents because that's the treatment that some other tracks in the in-game music player, like "I'll Face Myself (Another Ver.)" and "Deduction (Another Ver.)," have received.

Last edited by JusticeForJesse; Mar 30, 2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:09 PM

Changed "Never More ~Welcome Home~" to "Never More ~Welcome Back~" because "Welcome Back" is the name of the movie in which the track plays.

Last edited by winterberry; May 29, 2021 at 08:44 PM.