VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default CAVE Music Collection sale

Only one week after posting that video series ... I know.

Justification as to why I'm doing it, and details on how you could be the lucky owner of 37 albums' worth of CAVE goodness, detailed on STC:

http://www.soundtrackcentral.com/for....php?pid=74862

EDIT -- willing to entertain offers for individual albums or groups of the album. Here is the list on vgmdb marketplace:

http://vgmdb.net/db/marketplace.php?...eview&userid=8

Last edited by Ramza; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:20 PM

you're in need of money? or cave goodness isn't goodness anymore?
you won't prefer selling your wife (don't answer that ;p)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:27 PM

I can give you a hand posting this at the shmups forum if you want. I'm sure you will get some replies there.

Last edited by KAI; Jul 14, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Phonograph -- CAVE goodness is still goodness! This isn't an easy decision. But no, I won't part with my wife.

I may end up parting with some of my box sets (FFXI, SaGa, Mana) though, in pursuit of this same goal. Depends on how much people would be willing to pay...

Ritsukai -- please do! Thank you!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
Only one week after posting that video series ... I know.

Justification as to why I'm doing it, and details on how you could be the lucky owner of 37 albums' worth of CAVE goodness, detailed on STC:

http://www.soundtrackcentral.com/for....php?pid=74862

If after 3 months I get no takers on buying the full collection, I'll list the albums individually using vgmdb Marketplace. But I would much prefer to sell the whole set. Asking price is $1500.
I hope you're successful at selling it all together! If not...I would be more than happy to pick up muchimuchi pork! and deathsmiles from the collection.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Haven't gotten any email offers yet. Would it help if I released pics/video of the collection?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:15 AM
VGMdb Staff

If you want to go with how you've envisioned it, pics & video are definitily good - if I were a potential buyer of 1.5k bucks CD collection, I would want to see more. And of course you need to be more patient I suppose.

On the other hand, selling everything at once seems a bit unrealistic. Only a true fan would buy all of it; there are many fans no doubt but those true fans probably have majority of what you're selling and don't think it's acceptable to pay $1500 for some CDs they're missing. This was just my theory.
Much more realistic is selling albums individually (I imagine there are people who would buy more than one album so it prolly wouldn't be 37 albums/37 buyers).
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:54 PM

Yeah, honestly, shelling out $1500 in one lump for video game music... I can't imagine anyone doing this. People are often remiss to buy those box sets for a few hundred bucks. A thousand and a half is... O_O

I think that if you sell them separately, you'll have a lot more luck. Yeah wouldn't we love to just sell our whole collections in one fell swoop and make thousands of dollars instantly...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
VGMdb Advisor

well, as I said in the post, I can imagine a few collectors coming together to purchase it, and I also said I'm willing to work a lengthy payment plan.

The point for me is that if I can sell the whole collection in one move, the money is secured, even if it's over time. If I say "okay, anyone can buy any CD" -- a couple of the highly desired / rare ones will go in about 2 weeks, and then the rest will languish and I'll have an unattractive, incomplete collection sitting on me for the remainder of the time.

In any case, I think I'll get some photos this weekend and maybe an unlisted video.

If any of you guys know anyone that might be interested, please have them contact me. I'd love to talk with someone who's even somewhat interested, haggle, see what happens, etc.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Yeah, honestly, shelling out $1500 in one lump for video game music... I can't imagine anyone doing this. People are often remiss to buy those box sets for a few hundred bucks. A thousand and a half is... O_O
Actually, if I were more interested in Cave music, I would be giving it a serious look. That's 37 albums, fair prices, US shipping and 1 shipping charge. If you were to buy several albums (say 20) of them, you'd have to find them, pay separate shipping, probably pay a middleman.

If that was 37 old school Falcom albums (good ones, not crappy drama albums) or 37 old school Konami albums (ditto on the good ones part) for $1500, I'd have bought them already.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:02 PM
Trusted Editor

$1500 might look like a lot of money to any of you who are just starting out your collections or are still in school or are still young but if you've been doing this as long as some of us have, it really isn't a lot of money. I have 618 albums in my collection and if you normalize every single album to cost 40$ (some are more, like box sets, some are cheaper, like things I got on ebay for 10$), that's about $24,000 over the 15 years I've been collecting.

If you're a serious Cave music fan, this is truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you, especially since he's offering a payment plan.

The only real concern I have here is how he can offer a legitimate payment plan option without getting burned.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
The only real concern I have here is how he can offer a legitimate payment plan option without getting burned.
I will proceed at risk, honor system style. I probably won't offer it to someone I've never heard of in the community.

Now let me get them photos ...

Let me ask ... do you think I should get photos of the data side of the disc to show (lack of) scuffs and scratches? How many photos per jewel-cased album should suffice?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
I will proceed at risk, honor system style. I probably won't offer it to someone I've never heard of in the community.

Now let me get them photos ...

Let me ask ... do you think I should get photos of the data side of the disc to show (lack of) scuffs and scratches? How many photos per jewel-cased album should suffice?
Pictures seem like an awful lot of work unless a potential buyer is requesting them. I don't know if people seeing them is going to sway them one way or another, mint condition or otherwise. *shrug*
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about this earlier. Someone wanted to do something of this sort with a bunch of my games, but I wouldn't have any of it. However, the person in the end was very considerate and agreed to do a full payment transaction so long as I printed him out a receipt or whatever through paypal. We went through the motions and he got his large package of games a week in a half after I received the payment. I'd sell to that person again.

Perhaps for the payment plan, the better idea is to send the equivalent amount of music CDs to that of the monthly payment. If they don't send send the monthly payment, they don't get the next batch. Shipping will suck, but at least it will cover both of them in case something comes up. Though, I'm sure Ramza has something like this in mind.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:18 PM

What would make sense too...If like 3/4 people were to go in, $500/$375 apiece, and divide up the loot. That would address the issue of duplicates, unwanted albums and such. Maybe end up having a rotisserie album draft, lol.

And yes, the amount spent on VGM is scary over the years.

And count me in with the people saying the payment plan isn't the best idea. Get paid, send albums, be done.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
$1500 might look like a lot of money to any of you who are just starting out your collections or are still in school or are still young but if you've been doing this as long as some of us have, it really isn't a lot of money.
I've spent FAR more on my collection that $1500 and it's not even a big collection. What I'm talking about is getting in touch with someone and saying "Here's an entire $1500 IN ONE LUMP SUM." I don't care who you are or how long you've been collecting VGM, $1500 in one lump some to buy some game music CDs is a LOT of money.

I am none of the three you listed - just starting out, still in school or young - and to just hand $1500 away in the snap of my fingers is a lot of money. That kind of money is spent over a period of time. Spending that much in one shot on music CDs borders being irresponsible. Not saying I haven't done it over time, but in one shot...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Spending 1500$ on CDs in one sitting or spending 1500$ on CDs over time is exactly the same thing. It doesn't matter how you spent it or how long it took you to spend it, it's the same amount. The only thing irresponsible about spending 1500$ on CDs in one payment versus over time is if you spend that money irresponsibly and neglect personal or financial stability to do so for a hobby. But the same goes for any kind of spending.

If someone comes along that's interested and responsible enough and financially stable enough to want it, more power to them. It's going to be hard to find that in this hobby, though. He is certainly correct about selling them individually though. A few will sell and the rest will just sit there.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Spending 1500$ on CDs in one sitting or spending 1500$ on CDs over time is exactly the same thing.
So you're saying that if a person's collection over the course of, say, a year and a half, is worth $1500, and instead, that person, at the very beginning of the year and a half, spent $1500 on the entire thing, it would have been exactly the same thing? My apologies, I forgot that I had entered THE FUCKING TWILIGHT ZONE

Have you... like... ever saved money before, dancey? Do you understand the dynamics to saving money? Have you ever had a job before, and had to pay bills before? EDIT: You know what, I thought about this, and you're right. I calculated that in the next 10 years, I'm going to spend roughly $14000 on VGM, but since (and I quote you) "it doesn't matter how I spend it or how long it takes me to spend it because it's the same amount", I'm going to spend the $14000 RIGHT NOW. Quoting you, it literally doesn't matter, your exact words.

Wow, Ramza, good luck selling your CDs. No sarcasm meant. I know how it feels to get a little cash back in this hobby, it's a real good feeling. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hellacia; Jul 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:56 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
So you're saying that if a person's collection over the course of, say, a year and a half, is worth $1500, and instead, that person, at the very beginning of the year and a half, spent $1500 on the entire thing, it would have been exactly the same thing? My apologies, I forgot that I had entered THE FUCKING TWILIGHT ZONE
1500 = 1500. Please, enlighten me to how it's different. Your example is terrible because it ignores the fact that you might purchase unreleased music in the future, which doesn't apply here. If you wanted to buy every Konami album right now and paid that, then that example might make sense. It has nothing to do with saving or budgeting or anything else. Money now and money later are exactly the same thing. It's not difficult to grasp.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:18 AM

I do think Hellacia is right in saying it's not the same thing. If your monthly pay is, say, $3,000 or even more and you have lots of other expenses, as plenty of people do, it could be very unwise to spend $1,500 in one go on a non-necessity. You even said the same kind of thing yourself about it potentially being irresponsible. It may not be irresponsible for some people to do that, but it would be for the majority.

Of course, Ramza is willing to split it into smaller, much more responsible payments sums anyway.

Last edited by _if; Jul 19, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:20 AM

Oh, I see, so this is assuming that you have $1500 in cash lying around to be spent on video game music. Gotcha. Wow, you must be a baller, dancey. You just have thousands of dollars on hand waiting to be spent on music CDs. Most people would spend it on something like a refrigerator, or a high-tech security system for their home... which, actually, no, those important and real-life things wouldn't even cost that much... but okay, you have $1500 to just spend instantly on game music.

The next comic cell would read:

...meanwhile, on planet Earth...

P.S. If you have to negotiate a payment plan in order to buy game music CDs, it is seriously time for you to evaluate your priorities. That is not a quip.

Last edited by Hellacia; Jul 19, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:40 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm not arguing that its not a lot of money or that most people don't just have that lying around. I'm just saying its worth it if you're a cave fan. A really big cave fan. You can pretend like its some weird alternate universe that people spend lots of money on things but its not. If I was a big cave fan this would interest me. If I didn't have the money and I was a big enough fan, I'd secure it, either through a loan from a bank or trusting ramza with a payment plan.

If someone really wants it, whether they spend it now or spend it later its the same thing. Stop pretending is not. It's not my prerogative to determine other people's fiscal responsibility. Only my own. If I was a cave music fan, I'd do this in a heartbeat. I'm not.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:44 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
P.S. If you have to negotiate a payment plan in order to buy game music CDs, it is seriously time for you to evaluate your priorities. That is not a quip.
This is absolutely wrong. You can't tell someone else how to enjoy their hobby or spend their money. It is up to them to determine how much it's worth to them. I've spent a ton of money on this hobby over fifteen years and I don't regret it whatsoever. If you're going to just sit on your money and never spend it or do the things you enjoy, what's the point?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:
I've spent a ton of money on this hobby over fifteen years and I don't regret it whatsoever.
As have I over about the exact same amount of time and I don't regret a single dollar I spent. I just spent every dollar within reason.

Quote:
You can't tell someone else how to enjoy their hobby or spend their money.
Oh, if people want to go into debt over collecting music CDs, they sure can do it. I'm not telling them what they can or can't do. I'm saying that going into debt over video game music means you have some seriously screwed up priorities, that's all.

I spend every extra dollar I have on game music. And I mean that pretty much literally. I don't know much else I spend my money on that I don't need. And that's every extra dollar, NOT the dollars I don't have yet, or that I don't know for certain I'll have. Because life isn't as predictable as we'd all like to think it is.

I stand by what I said. If you have to take out a loan for your hobby, you're taking your hobby too seriously.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:14 AM

Again though, anyone want to calculate the shipping for 37 individually ordered CD's? You probably save a healthy $400-$500 by pulling the one-shot trigger at LEAST.

Also, people are forgetting Cave CD's are fairly collectable (especially compared to a lot of recent VGM). That $1500 purchase could double in value in 2-3 years time. Ramza's prices are what he paid today, not what they are worth in the future. I'm sure even if he ends up sitting on them, they increase in value anyway.

Also, I can't be the only one that has considered taking Isabella up on her 50% off offer on the rest of her collection.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Wow, that started quite a firestorm.

I'll just say this one last thing:

The money used from this sale will go directly into the budget for a videogame I'm developing. More content, and hopefully something many of you will REALLY ENJOY, will come as a result of the sale. And as for payment plans ... the vocalist Emi Evans, whom I'm paying to sing the opening theme song for Stasis Concerto, has agreed to be paid in installments. So if she can take, say, $200/month from me until we've reached the agreed-upon total, even as she works on the performance and recording, it's a lot *less* of a leap in normalcy IMO for me to offer the same to the person interested in taking this collection off my hands.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:18 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Also, I can't be the only one that has considered taking Isabella up on her 50% off offer on the rest of her collection.
Her prices have always been pretty ludicrous, imo, but people pay them sometimes. We went back and forth every couple months for about a year and a half because i wanted the Super Famicom magazine albums and she was selling them in bulk but I only wanted a handful since I already own most of them. She eventually got to the point where she said shed never sell them separate so I stopped asking. They are, ironically, still unsold as of today . Anyway that's not what this thread is about so...

I agree with ramza though. Not only are you getting a series collection, you can take pride in the fact that you're helping him go on to create something he's been really passionate about, which is a huge bonus.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Stuff about a game I'm making, Emi Evans
A couple days ago in an IRC chat I was admittedly found linking to Taillight and then posting all of the lyrics in the chat from memory. Dammit, I love her so much ♥__♥

Seriously though, that's really cool and good luck with your game, and good luck again on selling the CDs. It's not like I don't want you to sell your CDs, I would just hope that nobody goes into debt to buy game music. The difference in doing so between developing a video game and buying some music CDs... well, hopefully I don't have to illustrate that difference. But yeah, good luck, man

Last edited by Hellacia; Jul 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

thank you Hellacia. And ... yeah you don't have to demonstrate the difference. I wouldn't want anyone else going into debt to buy this collection either.

I, on the other hand, will most likely max out a credit card or two before this game is finished. or at least until Kickstarter campaign happens (and is hopefully successful)
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Some things outside of my control are going to force me to sell this collection ASAP. Hoping it can still go towards Emi's cost to record.

I'll update on STC too. But as of now, if anyone's interested in just *some* items here, please make offers. The more items you are willing to buy, the more discount I'm willing to provide.

Before offers start coming in, consider this also a final warning to anyone who was considering buying the collection in its complete form: this is your last chance! Fer real!!

Patrick "Ramza" Gann