VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:42 AM

Although it does say DJCD 2 in Lantis website, the Cover is says Radio “Cross Days” CD vol2 ~クロス・妄想・デイズ~ so I went with that.

I am having trouble what the 妄想 name. Is it mouso/moso? I had thought it would follow vol1 character Otome http://vgmdb.net/album/18648 but there doesn't seem to be any character named that.

Other changes, Included in Category entry, Game to go along with Radio/Drama. I might be wrong on this though? Since it's not a self-contained Radio/Drama without a product representation. See below.

Changed Products represented from "Radio Cross Days" to simply Cross Days. Since the product is representing and is about the PC game Cross Days from 0verflow.

Included Platforms represented entry to "PC" since that's the content of the game that is played on. See http://vgmdb.net/album/15288 for the OST. PM if discussion is needed.

Please note I also did some minor changes in http://vgmdb.net/album/18648 for Vol.1 to be consistent.

Last edited by ako; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:07 AM

normally, we don't associate anime/game with a radio program
we just use radio/drama category because the radio program is a radio program and is not present in the game or anime since it's something that is released out of the actual products even if it uses the same cast and that basically it's supposed to be related (in a certain way) to the story

(note: it's mousou or moso with macrons on o but not mouso)
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:01 AM

It's not a stand alone radio program that is not associated with any other product. It's based from an already established product, thus extending that product line for the creators/company catalog.

It's even more so apparent when the cast of characters/seiyuu's continue their role and talk about the brand and among other things. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to just think of it as a stand alone product when that is not even the case. It would be more accurate in that manner not how it was before the edit.

Now I am not so sure on this example. Say if Square Enix had a radio program for let's say FINAL FANTASY XIII cast members. Would that be placed in it's own product line (Radio FINAL FANTASY XIII) when knowingly it's extending both Square Enix's catalog and FINAL FANTASY XIII franchise brand?

If the decision would be to do just that and willingly ignore such common sense then *throws hands in air* do whatever 'cause it'd baffle me.

The macron had it just over the first o not on the second thus mouso was one of my assumptions.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
It's not a stand alone radio program that is not associated with any other product. It's based from an already established product, thus extending that product line for the creators/company catalog.
I've not heard a single game-oriented radio program (though I don't mind solely adding them), so can't really comment on how dependent they are on the original product. Perhaps you may be right.

One reason why I'm not fully convinced by "seiyuu-san still taking about the original game" criteria however is what if they're not talking about the anime at all (Yuko Ogura's True Love Story radio was apparently such a radio, with only the connection to the game was the usage of the game's soundtrack). It'd be seen as a standalone product, and there should be many gray cases between them. Judging by how much they're talking about the game wouldn't be a cut-and-dry standard.

Quote:
It's even more so apparent when the cast of characters/seiyuu's continue their role and talk about the brand and among other things.
A spin-off sharing the same cast doesn't sound very uncommon to me. Rather, game and anime quite often do. And if those seiyuus are taking about stuff not in character (it'd be called drama), there is a difference in roles.

Quote:
Now I am not so sure on this example. Say if Square Enix had a radio program for let's say FINAL FANTASY XIII cast members. Would that be placed in it's own product line (Radio FINAL FANTASY XIII) when knowingly it's extending both Square Enix's catalog and FINAL FANTASY XIII franchise brand?
I'd say, yes, if it'd be just Maaya Sakamoto not as Lightning talking about FFXIII and its spin off.

Quote:
If the decision would be to do just that and willingly ignore such common sense then *throws hands in air* do whatever 'cause it'd baffle me.
No, your opinion should be respected. We might be ignorant with the specific area where somebody else specializes in, and we're definitely lacking any avid radio listeners.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I've not heard a single game-oriented radio program (though I don't mind solely adding them), so can't really comment on how dependent they are on the original product. Perhaps you may be right.

One reason why I'm not fully convinced by "seiyuu-san still taking about the original game" criteria however is what if they're not talking about the anime at all (Yuko Ogura's True Love Story radio was apparently such a radio, with only the connection to the game was the usage of the game's soundtrack). It'd be seen as a standalone product, and there should be many gray cases between them. Judging by how much they're talking about the game wouldn't be a cut-and-dry standard.
That is why I was unsure on my example about a game-oriented radio program as my example, I am not aware of any. But I figured it would be the best way to explain on a website dedicated to video games especially the mods who may not be aware or have much knowledge in anime content.

While I do not know the example of the radio program of the seiyuu you mentioned I can't deny that there are indeed some that have little to no mention of the product they represent. However the issue is considering that one would have to listen to every single radio program track just to make that assumption correct.

Quote:
A spin-off sharing the same cast doesn't sound very uncommon to me. Rather, game and anime quite often do. And if those seiyuus are taking about stuff not in character (it'd be called drama), there is a difference in roles.
The company/publishers of those radio programs put those works into the same archive of the already established or would be future product line. There are radio programs that contain both drama and radio where they switch off their roles on the fly even when they mess up and laugh it off off-character or they are talking about random things and go into character all of a sudden. It varies basically. 0verflow the creators of this game considers this apart of their line. http://www.0verflow.com/web/goods_cd

Quote:
I'd say, yes, if it'd be just Maaya Sakamoto not as Lightning talking about FFXIII and its spin off.
While vgmdb.net may consider that as so, would Square Enix too? I doubt it, since Square Enix has business with some anime content they are involved in and I don't doubt they would follow the same business model as the anime counterparts do. It would be foolish for them to not include it a part of their products. I'm sure you've seen some videos of seiyuu's talking about the game in some fashion such as favorite scene, why they like their character, etc etc.

Anyways, the product is representing what the company chooses to allow be done under their brand so I do not even understand why it would be called something else that doesn't exist as a stand-alone product. Otherwise they wouldn't name it under said title, same characters, etc, etc to be in their product line simply based on the genre and/or assumption of not being in-character.

Last edited by ako; Feb 2, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So if I understand correctly, is the real difference of opinion is whether Radio Cross Heart qualifies as a product for our definition? Let's examine some of our past precedents.
  • Shows like Radio ToHeart 2 clearly do, since we have an entry for it. It even has it's own wiki page. It seems to have had an extensive run, though I can't tell if it was internet radio or over the air.
  • On the other hand, what kind of things don't count as a product? Well, we don't classify a TV commercial for a game as a separate product, even if they have their own original music, as in the Pikmin commercial. Commercials don't get product pages.

So, we need to figure out where this lies in the spectrum. Is it more like Radio ToHeart2, or should we consider it more like a bonus content that is meant to support the game. Note that it is possible that the area is grey enough that we have to come up with a creative solution.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:36 AM

bah commercials aren't products
they only exist to make a product sell
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:26 PM

Secret Squirrel in a post you made here http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9330
A franchise has already been established or will eventually such as those that begin as radio or/and drama to advertise the anime, light novel, or/and visual novel for said product.

Quote:
Our purpose in hosting product pages is to:

Provide a cross-reference so that a user can find albums or artists that share a product or franchise
Provide a way to distinguish music that comes from different releases of the same product on different platforms
Allow for future cataloging of music-related information of interest (e.g., composer credits for unpublished music, or tracklists for redbooks)

A Franchise is a grouping of products, such as "Final Fantasy" for the Final Fantasy games, or Touhou for all of the Touhou stuff. A Franchise can contain products from different genres. A product can also be linked under multiple franchise, for example, you could put Xmen vs Street Fighter under both the Xmen and Street FIghter franchises.
So I don't understand why this is being contributed as some other product. It clearly is pointing towards a goal and that's their product line. In this case Cross Days. Or am I wrong in understanding what was written? From what I continue to read is that the addition of "Radio ..." is being stereotyped for it's genre and really nothing else.

On a interesting point that came to mind from that post above is cross-reference between a a anime series that tries it's hand to a game and vice-versa. This complicates matters such as with Bakemonogatari's vocal and OST albums and the game OST from here: http://vgmdb.net/album/36663 it's not linked or cross-referenced in it's created page either http://vgmdb.net/product/1756 or is it strictly to point out it's animation solely? Since many anime to game and vice-versa don't have many sequels.

I don't know much about ToHeart 2 but I don't see any difference from what the owners of that franchise is trying to do from the many others that follow that pattern. Also that wiki page still has a link to the original content unlike many albums here as noted elsewhere which Related Albums becomes a big help for old and new users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
bah commercials aren't products
they only exist to make a product sell
Do "commercials" go on for hours and hours? It doesn't matter if that's how you see it ultimately that is not how those creators see it. It's part of their line.

Nobuo's Uemtasu's Phantasmagoria http://vgmdb.net/album/1858 is labeled not as a Original Work but for FINAL FANTASY for simply having 1 single track for his connection to the series. Far stretch is it not? How is that any different from seiyuu's contributing via their voice and persona for the audience to get to know them? They are both performing and advertising what they are involved with.

Last edited by ako; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

Again - yes, it's enough that one, single track (where everything else could be original work) is from a game/animation and the whole album will get game/animation category along with game/animation title in the represented products field.
Bakemonogatari Portable is a game and not animated series so it doesn't belong at http://vgmdb.net/product/1756 (yeah, because this page is only for the anime)
A new product page could be created for the game though, under Monogatari series franchise.