VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 7, 2017, 07:20 AM
Trusted Editor

About tracklist,

- According to the guide that staff gave ~(non-jap) should be used even though it is in hiraganas or katakanas.

- Isshoni is surely comprised of Issho(noun) and ni(postposition), but isshoni is a adverb as a discrete word class. JP dics also have it.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 07:31 AM

adverbs in romanized jap mustn't be stuck
it's issho ni, like all other adverbs with ni (including adjectives)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 07:56 AM
Trusted Editor

It is different from other noun+ni.
For example 親切(kindness)+に(ni) > 親切に (kindly) shouldn't be stuck as you said.
Though Isshoni has the same structure as 親切に, the two elements issho/ni are firmly cemented as a adverb.
The same example is 'tomoni'. tomo(friend, accompaniment) and ni also should be stuck.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 08:29 AM
Trusted Editor

Illidan
If you'd like to change any thing under discussion still going, do after leaving a simple replay as you've done putting your instructions or any customary rules.

Last edited by whatkind; Jan 7, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatkind View Post
It is different from other noun+ni.
For example 親切(kindness)+に(ni) > 親切に (kindly) shouldn't be stuck as you said.
Though Isshoni has the same structure as 親切に, the two elements issho/ni are firmly cemented as a adverb.
The same example is 'tomoni'. tomo(friend, accompaniment) and ni also should be stuck.
man, you are blind or just idiot?
it's "issho ni", I speak in the void or what (I don't put you in the same level as the void, because at least the void has a use ;p)

tomoni? I really hope you don't mean 共に because, ohlala MEIN GOTT
Old Jan 7, 2017, 08:55 AM
Trusted Editor

Phonograph, I've already said you should stop insulting people.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:07 AM

the problem with noobs like you, it's that they don't understand how things must be done even when one is polite (Illidan could write a book on that sudject)
so, if politeness doesn't work, one must well try another method that could work (not even sure it succeeds tbh)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Do I need to explain if Phonograph already said it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
adverbs in romanized jap mustn't be stuck
it's issho ni, like all other adverbs with ni (including adjectives)
There's a reason they are romanized as Issho ni and Tomo ni in every other (proper) tracklist on the site. Take it as a convention if you prefer, but there's no reason to do differently here.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:15 AM
Trusted Editor

Illidan/ Got it, thanks!

Phonograph/ Politeness is always good, welcome regardless who are noobs or not, but you'd better abandon your bad habit of insulting others at least on this site.

Last edited by whatkind; Jan 7, 2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:17 AM

nah, never, it'd be like stopping to breathe =)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 09:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I would like to add that romanization standards are tricky, as there are 3 or 4 main romanization styles and a number of variants. We have taken bits and pieces of the main styles and incorporated them into a sort of "best practices" that really isn't documented anywhere other than our many tracklists. Once you are used to one style, elements of the other styles can look funny or wrong.

In most cases, we prefer a separate word for "ni" when it is used with a noun like isshou. I know the waters are muddied because we have all seen official romanizations on Japanese products where they append all postpositions to the word that precedes them. It certainly highlights that there are different ways of looking at word boundaries.

Because of all of this, we all need to be patient with the process. People are going to make mistakes when trying to romanize to our undocumented mixed standard. I especially need people to be more polite in the discussion, particularly note Rule 3. Calling someone an "idiot" is not the way to resolve a disagreement, and we have banned people for being abusive here before, so let's keep things a little nicer.