VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:45 AM

Default Two great VGM info sites lost

Yesterday Infoseek shut down its services in Japan. JGML and GMCL are gone. IF someone could archive those along with their info, it would be good.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 01:30 PM

uhm, crap. i wasn't expecting that. both of those had information that was just not anywhere else, especially not in english (which is why it seemed important to have that information here as well.)

i hope all the pages are archived
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:26 PM

Hopefully someone had those archived in some capacity. It's always difficult to regain info on VGM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 03:19 AM

While I occasionally used GMCL, I've seldom visited JGML (mostly because of the lower rank in Google results) and really didn't know it served as such a great source among Western VGM fans. Perhaps VGMdb and both site admins would be interested in mirroring their sites, like we did for GMRO? (I'm not sure they will be rehosted somewhere else soon, given the lack of updates in recent years).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 03:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

JGML is still up under this URL: http://cgi.mediamix.ne.jp/~t0425/user-cgi/search.htm

edit: Ah, I see what you mean.

Last edited by seanne; Nov 2, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:38 PM

Only the search.

and by the way, I managed to archive GMCL's contents in txt files. The composer part anyway. :P

Last edited by Zhane Masaki; Nov 2, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

JGML offered a downloadable .lzh file as an "offline" archive, and the last time I grabbed it was May of 2002. It's 1MB and contains the directory listings by various sorting methods (such as year of release and by alphabetical game title), but not all the individual pages.

Here, at least it's something:
JGML_gamemusichistory_off.lzh
sendspace.com/file/h3pvrw
Old Nov 2, 2010, 06:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Both sites could be acessed by Internet Archive:
JGML
GMCL

Sorry if I overlooked something.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:54 AM

Does anyone here speak enough Japanese to be able to ask on 2ch if anyone there have the sites archived?

That's probably our best hope at this point, sadly....

I looked at all the GMCL files I could find via Google, Bing and Yahoo....they're up to date (late 2008), but so many pages are missing.

Now to see what can be recovered from JGML. I didn't even realize the site existed...it was a much larger site, so this could take a while.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:24 PM

Wouldn't the best bet to talk to the owner? To my memory, both sites were mostly raw HTML-based, so they probably still have the various files stored on the computer and might be looking for another less lame host.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Here's what seems to be an archive of the latest version of GMCL: http://goggole.dip.jp/infoseek/20101...0/default.html. I haven't checked every page for completeness, but it does seem to have the composer and game lists intact.

There are a few GMCL revival projects on @wiki: http://www16.atwiki.jp/gmclw/ and http://www36.atwiki.jp/gmcomposer/. That first one in particular has had quite a few updates, but I can't attest to its accuracy. (Akihiko Mori is the Don behind Galaxy Robo? Really?)

As for JGML, I can't remember when the last time I used it was. Definitely a very important site historically, but I think it had mostly served its usefulness. A couple of VGM sites on Infoseek that I did still find useful from time to time were Nirareba's vocal works lists and BSM. Sad to see those go.

I've found a couple of Infoseek archive projects: http://goggole.dip.jp/infoseek/LIST.html and http://www.infoseek-archive.com/list.html. They don't actually have any of these sites, though, and I'm not sure they ever will.