VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 24, 2022, 08:54 AM

Interesting to see many vinyl these days from Square Enix (CHOCOBO & FRIENDS 1+2).

Since no CD edition have been announced for this game and knowing that FF Pixel Remaster will be digital only, is it the beginning of the end for CDs ?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Since no CD edition have been announced for this game and knowing that FF Pixel Remaster will be digital only, is it the beginning of the end for CDs ?
I hope not. I only buy CDs and the occasional digital release if there's absolutely no other option. I see what the appeal of vinyl releases is, but they're not for me.

On another note, looks like we have more official titles for Radical Dreamers tracks!

Summer Day => 忘れじの夢 A Dream Never Forgotten
Ending => 風と夢の誓い A Vow of Wind and Dreams
Old Mar 25, 2022, 03:27 AM

So, according to Mr. Mitsuda's recent social media post (Twitter, Facebook) about this release, he states that these are 7 arrangements and 1 brand new song, probably the first track. One user asked if there will be a CD/digital version, and Mitsuda replied "Ask Square for more information". Maybe it will become available as a pre-order bonus?

Also, I wonder if there are more arrangements in the game besides these 7 tracks. I remember Mitsuda once said that the music for the game was "perfect" and didn't need any arrangements. For those, who prefer arrangements he was referring to the newly recorded 20th anniversary live concert with Millenial Fair.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 03:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Also, I wonder if there are more arrangements in the game besides these 7 tracks. I remember Mitsuda once said that the music for the game was "perfect" and didn't need any arrangements. For those, who prefer arrangements he was referring to the newly recorded 20th anniversary live concert with Millenial Fair.
I don't think there will be more. Mitsuda said the actual game soundtrack is simply remastered from the original sound source, so no new recordings.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 02:33 PM

I can see Square Enix only offering a fully arranged soundtrack for remasters of games that were highly successful to begin with and where they expect a wide audience for the re-release. Think the FF Pixel Remasters or FF10/10-2 HD.

Even then, PR could have done a better job at communicating what these are. Are they included in the game? (the video description seems to suggest that) Are these the only ones or are there more? Can you switch to the original soundtrack? Granted, they may have answered these questions somewhere.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

From what I understand, these new tracks are only used in the new features, like the title menu where you can choose between Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers, or in the credits for the remastered version (their remasters usually have additional credits available from the title screen). So technically, yes, they are in the game.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:43 AM

Seems like I'm not the only one who didn't get it. Whiners are having a field day with a Square Enix blog post that has been changed either yesterday or today:

Quote:
UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played.
Quote:
Newly refined music by Yasunori Mitsuda

The acclaimed composer of the original CHRONO CROSS is also back with a new track, and most of the music has been refined, meaning the sound quality has been improved!
For the benefit of both publishers and players, let's lay out some rules for future remasters:
  1. The original, unaltered music is included in the game and you can play the game with it, no questions asked. You make that known when you announce the remaster.
  2. Only after you've fulfilled rule 1 will you make any indication that arranged music is included in the game in some shape or form.
  3. If rule 2 applies, you make it known whether the entire soundtrack or just parts of it will be arranged, and whether they're used during regular gameplay or for newly added features.
  4. If rule 2 applies and if you intend to release samples of the arranged music before the remaster is out, you better make sure that rule 1 is honoured at all times so as not to make people freak out over the original, unaltered music not being there. If you don't think you can do that, then don't release any samples before the remaster is out.
  5. If a fully arranged soundtrack is included, you allow for an option to switch between it and the original, unaltered music. The more dynamic the option, the better.
  6. If no fully arranged soundtrack is included, you avoid weasel words such as "refined" or "remastered" when referring to the original, unaltered music. People won't get whether it'll sound the same or not, so don't give them any ideas.
Thank me later.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
If no fully arranged soundtrack is included, you avoid weasel words such as "refined" or "remastered" when referring to the original, unaltered music. People won't get whether it'll sound the same or not, so don't give them any ideas.
*snort* imagine them ever doing something helpful or casually throwing around incorrect sound terminology!

Old Mar 31, 2022, 02:35 PM

So is this game like Wind Waker HD, where most of the soundtrack has not been re-arranged, but the "quality" of the samples was "improved"? Or not even?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 06:23 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
So is this game like Wind Waker HD, where most of the soundtrack has not been re-arranged, but the "quality" of the samples was "improved"? Or not even?
Please refer to this question to Yasunori Mitsuda: https://twitter.com/CHRONO_CROSS_RD/...07628955602953

The key sentence in Mitsuda's answer regarding the music is this: 新曲も1曲あり、その他特別に(プレイ上では流れませんが)アレンジバージョンも7曲収録してあります。8 曲ほど新しい音楽を聴くことができるようになっています。
The part in the parenthesis specifically says "The new arrange tracks don't play during gameplay."

In addition, the in-game music has been "refined," simply meaning it has had mastering improvements (EQ, compression, etc.). None of the in-game BGM has been replaced by new tracks or new arrangements.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
Please refer to this question to Yasunori Mitsuda: https://twitter.com/CHRONO_CROSS_RD/...07628955602953

The key sentence in Mitsuda's answer regarding the music is this: 新曲も1曲あり、その他特別に(プレイ上では流れませんが)アレンジバージョンも7曲収録してあります。8 曲ほど新しい音楽を聴くことができるようになっています。
The part in the parenthesis specifically says "The new arrange tracks don't play during gameplay."

In addition, the in-game music has been "refined," simply meaning it has had mastering improvements (EQ, compression, etc.). None of the in-game BGM has been replaced by new tracks or new arrangements.
Exactly what I was thinking. This newly arranged album mainly serves as a promotional item for the game. As for the remasters, they did remaster CC's OST on the Revival Disc, and it did sound superior than the original release. It was fine to my ears, so why not just using these music files? Well, maybe they just did a little tweak here and there... I doubt they'll use any live instruments here like the Pixel Remasters. Would be neat tho...
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:34 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. This newly arranged album mainly serves as a promotional item for the game. As for the remasters, they did remaster CC's OST on the Revival Disc, and it did sound superior than the original release. It was fine to my ears, so why not just using these music files? Well, maybe they just did a little tweak here and there... I doubt they'll use any live instruments here like the Pixel Remasters. Would be neat tho...
They aren't using those audio files for the BGM tracks, so they can't just simply put those new masters that they did for the Revival Disc in the game.

Mitsuda requested from Square Enix's sound person the original internal sound data that was used in the Playstation game and he himself refined the sound by adjusting the EQ, compression, and reducing unwanted noise. (当時のプレイステーションの内臓音源データをスクエア・エニックスのサウンドの方に用意していただき、僕 の方でEQやコンプレッサー、気になるノイズ除去などを行いリファインいただいたしました。)

Though he said that he did take the original master tape recordings of "Time's Scar" and "Radical Dreamers," converted them to WAV and used those files for this new release of the game. (オープニングの「クロノ・クロス ~時の傷痕~」とエンディング「ラジカル・ドリーマーズ)の2曲については、当時録音したテープからWAV ファイルに変換し使用しています。)

In regards to adding live instruments, etc.: He specifically says that he's extremely fond of all the performance takes and the mix of the original game's soundtrack, so absolutely nothing was added to any of the tracks in the game. (演奏テイクやミックスはとても気に入っていますし完成されたものなので一切手を加えておりません。)

Last edited by Chris Porter; Apr 1, 2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 02:47 AM

Quote:
They aren't using those audio files for the BGM tracks, so they can't just simply put those new masters that they did for the Revival Disc in the game.

Mitsuda requested from Square Enix's sound person the original internal sound data that was used in the Playstation game and he himself refined the sound by adjusting the EQ, compression, and reducing unwanted noise. (当時のプレイステーションの内臓音源データをスクエア・エニックスのサウンドの方に用意していただき、僕 の方でEQやコンプレッサー、気になるノイズ除去などを行いリファインいただいたしました。)

Though he said that he did take the original master tape recordings of "Time's Scar" and "Radical Dreamers," converted them to WAV and used those files for this new release of the game. (オープニングの「クロノ・クロス ~時の傷痕~」とエンディング「ラジカル・ドリーマーズ)の2曲については、当時録音したテープからWAV ファイルに変換し使用しています。)

In regards to adding live instruments, etc.: He specifically says that he's extremely fond of all the performance takes and the mix of the original game's soundtrack, so absolutely nothing was added to any of the tracks in the game. (演奏テイクやミックスはとても気に入っていますし完成されたものなので一切手を加えておりません。)
PR dropped the ball with this then. They should've clarified in the trailer that it's the original soundtrack with the original PlayStation samples in-game. The information is clearly out there but they can't expect people to go on Twitter to find the game's original composer, then wade through dozens of Japanese messages in order to know what they did with the music. Eh, maybe next time. The important thing is that they didn't replace the original soundtrack with an arranged one. As to how the music will turn out with the compressed PlayStation samples cleaned up, we'll find out in a week.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 02:52 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
PR dropped the ball with this then. They should've clarified in the trailer that it's the original soundtrack with the original PlayStation samples in-game. The information is clearly out there but they can't expect people to go on Twitter to find the game's original composer, then wade through dozens of Japanese messages in order to know what they did with the music. Eh, maybe next time. The important thing is that they didn't replace the original soundtrack with an arranged one. As to how the music will turn out with the compressed PlayStation samples cleaned up, we'll find out in a week.
This is exactly what I was just saying in the VGMdb Discord about it. Here’s what I wrote there:

“I've spent some of today on damage control on Twitter and elsewhere regarding Square Enix not being clear that those new Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers arrangements that are on the upcoming vinyl won't actually be replacing the BGM in the game. People are cancelling preorders because they think the original soundtrack has all been replaced with new arrangements and that there's no way to switch to the original. Mitsuda specifically said that the original soundtrack is still there, he's just made some minor refinements to the EQ, compression, and reduced some unwanted noise. Square really needs to be careful with how they're marketing these new arrangements, because the original soundtrack is sacred to a lot of people and they should be reassuring everyone that the soundtrack hasn't been replaced.

The problem is that they marketed one of the features of the remaster as having "enhanced music" (which is referring to the minor EQ, compression, noise reduction), then also announce these new arrangements without clarifying that the two things aren't related.

It's sloppy marketing that's tone-deaf to their core audience's expectations and reveals an lack of awareness of how quickly a simple misunderstanding (due to lack of specificity on their part) can spiral into a frenzy of misinformation.“

Last edited by Chris Porter; Apr 1, 2022 at 02:58 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 03:04 AM

Very well put! By now, these huge companies or their PR firms should know how easily a misunderstanding can lead to a burning-torches-and-pitchforks-type situation. Anyway, thanks again for finding the comments by Mitsuda!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Which is the actual, real definition of the word remaster.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 07:27 AM

That's the tragic irony here. Years of PR babble have twisted the original meaning of the word around so much, you can't even be sure what it means anymore in the video game industry.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 05:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Now that the embargo for reviews is lifted, I can say it: indeed, the new arrangements are only playing on the game's home screen (where you can select Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers) and during the remastered edition's credits, that are also accessible on this home screen. The tracks that are featured on this vinyl are playing on random, so you're welcomed with a different piece of music everything you launch the game.

The music in Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers themselves is exactly the same as the original titles, with the adjustments that Chris described earlier. But I think most people won't notice the difference.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 07:03 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Hooray! This is now available for download as well!

https://sqex.lnk.to/P0m4bc
Old Jul 5, 2022, 08:30 AM

Still hoping for an international digital release! The LP itself didn't come with a download code this time!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
Still hoping for an international digital release! The LP itself didn't come with a download code this time!
It's on Amazon UK but I can't find it on Amazon US for some reason.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B41ZQY9V/

I just bought it with a proxy anyway.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 02:15 AM

Mildly interesting observation: I'm the furthest thing from an expert on Gaelic but I'm fairly confident there's a mistake in the lyrics for Dreams of the Past, Memories of my Soul as written on Page 7 of the Booklet.

Line 3 of the last verse says "Mo bhuanchara go deo" but it quite clearly sounds like she is not singing that, but instead repeating Line 3 of verse 2, "beidh tú ar mo taobh" (albeit at a slightly higher pitch than in verse 2)

Anyway I deeply appreciate that we get to hear something fresh in Mitsuda's folksy musical language one more time (even though it's somewhat coloured by Abounnasr too) - he's still got that magic.