VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:08 PM

In the images section, there is a slipcase back image. Does anyone have the front? I bought the soundtrack used, and I don't have a slipcase. Is it supposed to have one?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

I added new images of the slipcase. As far as I can remember it was a first-print/pre-order bonus.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:50 PM

A recent edit revised a bunch of translations but anybody willing to examine them? I can't contribute much, but 1-11 might not be better and 1-10, 1-13, 1-16 and 2-20 are while informative perhaps redundant. The change from 蒼范の時 to 蒼茫の時 maybe should be reverted (I do suspect it was supposed to be "蒼茫" though, but not corrected on the SQEX reprint).
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Ok I've revised the translation (criticism is welcome).

In the future, please discuss here first.

Here is the rationale for what I choose.
Spoiler:

1-02 懐かしき歌 - An Old Song / Nostalgic Song -> "Nostalgic Song"
This is a version of 2-31, which is written in English, so the translation should match.

1-05 心のある場所 - The Place Where the Heart Is / A Place with Heart / Where the Heart Resides -> "Where the Heart Resides"
This one I'm not too sure, but I guess the later is more concrete.

1-08 旅人たちの道 - Traveler's Path / Traveler's Path -> "Traveler's Road"
I think road fits more and is less concrete than path.

1-11 彩りの大地 - Colored Earth / The Coloring of The Earth -> "Colored Earth"
I think the latter would be 大地の彩り. Though probably "Colorful Earth" is more accurate.

1-18 悠然なる歴世 - Generations of Serenity / Successive Generations of Serenity -> "Generations of Serenity"
The latter sound redundant to me, doesn't really alter the meaning.

1-20 風歌う,その旅路 - Singing Wind, This Journey / The Wind Sings, For the Journey -> "The Wind Sings, For the Journey"
Seems more natural are clearer.

2-01 パストラール - Pastorale / Pastoral -> "Pastorale"
I think pastorale=music only, while pastoral=bucolic OR music. So "pastorale" seems more appropriate. But maybe others can comment on this.

2-O2 牧場にて - On the Farm / At the Ranch -> "At the Ranch"
Ranch is better given the context (IIRC).

2-03 Maker's Galopp / Maker's Gallop -> "Maker's Galopp"
As a standard we always use English tracknames "as is", even if misspelt.

2-04 夢見る果実 - Fruit of Dreams / Dream-seeing Fruits -> "Dreaming Fruits"
Lit. 'fruit(s) that dream', 夢見る is a fancy word for "to dream". Dream-seeing doesn't sound too normal (I think the 'fruits' were characters but not sure).

2-09 Digger's Song ~穴掘り団の歌~ - Digger's Song ~Song of Spelunkers~ / Digger's Song -> "Digger's Song ~Song of Diggers~"
The subtitle is plural, so it's not exactly the same or redundant (alts.- Song of Spelunkers, Diggers' Song).

2-10 穏やかな曲 - Peaceful Song / Serene Song -> "Serene Song"
Serene, calm, whatever.

2-14 真実の行方 - Missing Truth / Where the Truth Goes -> "The Whereabouts of Truth"
A bit more literal, but since 行方 is a noun I think it's preferable.

2-15 二つの思惑 ~ルシェイメア~ - Two Expectations ~Lucemia~ / The Two Predictions ~Lucemia~ -> "The Two Predictions ~Lucemia~"
Never finished the game so no idea about context, but I guess the latter makes more sense.

2-17 真実の彼方 - The Other Side of the Truth / Beyond the Truth -> "Beyond the Truth"
Better and less literal.

2-18 重なりゆく運命 - Overlapping Destinies / Converging Destinies -> "Overlapping Destinies"
重なる=overlap. "Converge" implies it ends in one point, overlap doesn't.

2-19 賜わりし絆へ - Bondage Bestowed / For the Granted Bonds -> "For the Granted Bonds"
Bondage implies other stuff... lolz.

2-21 真紅なる竜帝 - The Crimson Dragon / The Crimson Dragon Emperor -> "The Crimson Dragon Emperor"
Missing word, ok.

2-24 宝石泥棒サンドラ参上! Jewel Thief Sandra Visits! / Jewel Thief Sandra Appears! --> "The Jewel Thief Sandra Arrives!"
It's just a matter of wording, but I like to use 出現=appears, 登場=enters, 参上=arrives.

2-25 Bejeweled City Ruined -> "Ruined Sparkling City"
'Bejeweled City' sound like an actual place, but the JP doesn't really specify.

2-27 涙色した輝きの… - Colored Tears Radiate... / Of the Tears-Colored Radiance... -> "Tears-Colored Radiance..."
This could be worded better I guess. The "の" can be interpreted in a number of ways, but without context I think it's better to drop it.

2-28 想いは遠くマナの樹に寄せて ~Theme of Mana~ - Memories Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree ~Theme of Mana~ / The Hearts Are Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree ~Theme of Mana~ -> "The Feelings Are Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree ~Theme of Mana~ "
Almost the same but Hearts (may be misunderstood as 'persons') -> Feelings

2-30 蒼茫の時 - Dusky Time / Time of Darkness -> Dusky Time
Given how this is written (not 闇) and Cedille's post, I choose the former.

1-10 Gato Grottoes, 1-13 Lumina, 1-16 Polpota Harbor, 2-20 The Flames, 2-29 Tree of Mana
Places: I went for the JP names, since the description was axed in the US version I thought it'd be nicer to keep it.

Other tracks were fine.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:17 AM

Might be smart to have two english tracklists, one with japanese translated places, and the other with the english game versions. Can also use the English named version to remove typos.

1-05 Home of the heart, Heart's Home
1-08 Painted Earth, Earth colors, Earth Painting
1-18 Generations of Peace, Generations of Continued Peace/Serenity
1-20 Song on the wind, for a journey
2-01 Pastoral (has a bit more relevance since it covers numerous things. Since it is not a cantata or opera/the like, however second definition for pastorale said music emitting a pastoral like-ness, so either seems relevant)
2-04 Fruit Dreams, Dreams of Fruit, Dream making/creating/inducing fruits
2-09 Digger's Song (Miners Theme)
2-14 Where Truth lies (woot for an oxymoron)
2-15 I assume this is to mean Irwin and his want for destruction and deana or matilda not wanting it.
2-18 I am fine with either, seems that they both have merits. Maybe change destinies with Fate.
2-25 Bejeweled City is a place gone to in the english version. Ruined Bejeweled City or Bejeweled City Ruins could work.
2-27 Radiance Colored Tears, Radiant Tears, Tears of Radiance
2-28 Emotions, I may be reading it wrong also but distant Thoughts/memories/feelings/emotions Gathering under the Mana Tree
2-30 Dusk, Twilight

Last edited by Fearin; Feb 12, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
VGMdb Staff

Just a few comments on some of the translations, Dag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
2-24 宝石泥棒サンドラ参上! Jewel Thief Sandra Visits! / Jewel Thief Sandra Appears! --> "The Jewel Thief Sandra Arrives!"
It's just a matter of wording, but I like to use 出現=appears, 登場=enters, 参上=arrives.
I think 'Appears' is more fitting as (unless i remember poorly) the character in question tended to suddenly appear 'out of nowhere' in order to do some stealing. 'Arrives' kind of implies a less sudden and more expected entry - the exclamation mark implies a dramatic entry as well.

Quote:
2-27 涙色した輝きの… - Colored Tears Radiate... / Of the Tears-Colored Radiance... -> "Tears-Colored Radiance..."
This could be worded better I guess. The "の" can be interpreted in a number of ways, but without context I think it's better to drop it.
I don't recall a specific event this might be pertaining to, but I guess it should be 'Tear-Colored Radiance' if you want to go with that, unless individual tears are having different colors (:

Quote:
2-28 想いは遠くマナの樹に寄せて ~Theme of Mana~ - Memories Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree ~Theme of Mana~ / The Hearts Are Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree ~Theme of Mana~ -> "The Feelings Are Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree ~Theme of Mana~ "
Almost the same but Hearts (may be misunderstood as 'persons') -> Feelings
Again, I don't recall the in-game context, but I think 'Memories Gathering Under the Distant Mana Tree' is by far the least awkward sounding of the three ;b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
Might be smart to have two english tracklists, one with japanese translated places, and the other with the english game versions.
I think it's better to avoid multiple translated tracklists, and something like this could be handled on the page for each specific track (once this has been implemented) since the game was released in many different languages.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:50 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks all, I've revised it.

Changes:
Spoiler:

1-08, 2-27: gotcha.
2-24 they all they all sound the same to me but changed to "appears".
2-28 Went with "emotions gather under the mana tree" (active).

Other I didn't, since in general the wording didn't quite fit the original meaning, etc. More concrete:
2-01 I guess both have merits but lacking context I can't decide.
2-04 It's actually the other way around.
2-09 "Miner" implies going to a mine, while digger doesn't necessarily.
2-11 彩り here is like the arrangement of color/color scheme/coloring. Earth of Colors, Colorful Earth, etc could work. I left "colored" since I try not to alter too much older translations if the meaning is similar. "Painting" gives a concrete image so I'd avoid it.
2-25 Rechecking it does seem "煌めきの都市" is called "Bejewelled City" in the US version but since I kept the JP names I translated this directly too (bejewelled implies it's decorated with jewels, 煌めき/sparkling doesn't). It some day alt US names are added remember to add this too.
2-30 "蒼茫" here is something dark/gloomy, or of blue color (ocean). It's usually translated as "dusky" or "shadowy", just twilight/dusk doesn't work.

I personally don't mind having two english tracklists (let's face it, it's going to take a while to have per-track info) but since it's a touchy subject let's wait for now.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:41 AM

I can't believe I didn't think of the correct version for 1-05

1-05 Home is where the heart is.

2-09 I mentioned miners since that is I guess in the english version where the digger's hideout is in a mine.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:28 PM

First, let me apologize for messing up some of the tracks (like, I had 1-11 the other way around and being hasty on 2-01 "Pastorale") and for not noticing the PM until later. Anyway,

My comments:
2-22 Suggesting to change this into "Those Who Wait Before Destiny", since there are at least two people (the dragoon siblings) who waited for like a long long long time (was it a millennium?) before they get reunited.

2-27 How about we change it to "...of the Tears-Colored Radiance"? So, the beauty of it is that you can insert any context to "..." in the beginning of the phrase.

2-30 According to Thesaurus, "dusky" is synonymous with "darkness" or "twilight". In-game context, Toto(hero)/Imu(heroine) is fighting against the Mana Goddess' dark side, in the background is an eclipsing moon (Am I using the word right?) and the world is coming to an end. I changed it to "Time of Darkness" since it feels like that phrase carries more impact than "Dusky Time".

Will rant on some other tracks when I can somehow back my rant with something believable(?) =p.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Thanks, I've updated it with your propositions.

Normally if the changes are clear (name fixes, spellings, mistranslations...) to us it's ok to just change it, but when they are subtle or the tracklist changes a lot it's better to add some reasonings to understand where you are coming from, specially for new contributors.

In 2-01 I understand パストラール is used in JP mainly to refer to music=Pastorale, rather than something bucolic=Pastoral, but maybe there isn't much distinction between both.

For 2-30 I was trying to avoid "darkness" since it's so overused, but I agree "dusky" sounds a bit plain. In the JP it uses 蒼茫 which is rather uncommon, maybe "Time of Shadows"?

For Fearin's 1-05 suggestion, the JP just uses "place", "home" is too concrete and personal so I'd rather not use it.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:38 PM

The why I mentioned Home is where the heart, it may say place but it is also attached to resides or lives, the place you live/reside is your home, thus Home is where the heart is. Doesn't hurt that it is also a very old saying. As a small extra to point it out, the song plays right after the mana tree intro when you first start which is in your house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HmmI...ailpage#t=400s
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post

For 2-30 I was trying to avoid "darkness" since it's so overused, but I agree "dusky" sounds a bit plain. In the JP it uses 蒼茫 which is rather uncommon, maybe "Time of Shadows"?
For 2-30, IMO, "Time of Shadows" sounds a bit strange. Since you said "darkness" is too overused..., how about we go a bit liberal by "During the Dusk"? Well, not that liberal though, since "?? no Toki" can be translated to "Time of ??", "Time for ??" or "During the ??". A little less impact but more faithful to the JP trackname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
I don't recall a specific event this might be pertaining to, but I guess it should be 'Tear-Colored Radiance' if you want to go with that, unless individual tears are having different colors (:
For 2-27, this is where it gets fun. The in-game context (as I remember) is where the hero/heroine did the Jumi taboo (cried for them) and turned to stone. Thanks to the main chara's tears the whole Jumi race is resurrected. And in turn, the whole Jumi race "cries" (giving the main chara the teardrop crystal, I think?) to revive the main chara. The Jumis are pretty, um, colorful? Since there's pearl, black pearl, topaz, diamond, emerald, aquamarine, ruby, etc. So, is it better to use "tear" or "tears"?

Last edited by natural-log; Feb 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 01:28 AM

For anybody coming by wondering this (hey, I know it happens to me ), there are two obi available for this soundtrack: an obi for the regular print as well as one for the slipcase edition. The slipcase obi is distinguishable by an extra black line on the right side of the obi. Here are some pictures.

I can possibly do a scan of the regular edition obi sometime in the future (or someone can also beat me to it maybe).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 02:57 AM

I'd have used Gloaming for tr2.30
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:22 AM

By the way, the only music that's not included in Remastered soundtrack from the OST album is: Nocturne - 夜想曲 (Disc 2 - Track 8). I wonder why they left it out?