VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 30, 2010, 02:29 AM

The Best one of Tokyo Majin Series music,I love it
Old May 30, 2010, 03:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I added the translation but some tracks need work. It was written in pseudo-classical Japanese from hell with bizarro grammar and obscure vocabulary I doubt I got all. There is only so much I can do with online sources.

Some notes:
- The romaji tracklist comes from jp sites so it should be fine, even if several terms aren't romanized as usual.
- For 2-20/23 I'm not sure 訴 is meant to be song (there isn't much evidence, it's usually an "appeal, complaint") but I translated it as such based on the kana.
- The birds and "hanafuda" (Japanese card game) tracks come from hanafuda rules, there may be more common translations of these terms.
- I tried to somewhat replicate the "classical text" style with some less common vocabulary but I don't think this came across too well... Maybe somebody can make it more sensical and colorful and add some olde English or something.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:16 PM

I know it's a bit too late, but I've long wanted to change the romanization of this game. I'd normally go with "Tokyo Monoharashi Karasunomorigakuen Kitan Gakusou" which may fit VGMdb's usual scheme most, but as "TOKYO MONO HARA SHI" is official, I think the rest also technically has to be "KARASU NO MORI GAKU EN KI TAN GAKU SOU" or such. I once considered this, but eventually didn't go ahead, since it didn't look so terribly good in the first place, and I expected I would find the rest officially romanized somewhere else - now that isn't the case, I wonder if we should separate at least "Karasunomorigakuen" a bit more finely (e.g. Karasu no Mori Gakuen).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:59 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Where did the romanization "Karasunomorigakuen" come from? I'd rather see it split by the correct word boundaries (Karasu no Mori Gakuen).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:49 AM

That "no" of Karasunomori isn't a particle. There are many Japanese locations out there which include "ga" or "no" somewhere in their names, and their romanized names usually don't separate from there either (ex. Onigashima). No idea why I didn't spilt Gakuen from Karasunomori, but I must have thought it would be closer to our usual romanization, especially the one we had for a proper name or such.

Seems like we now have several choices;

1) Karasunomori Gakuen Kitan Gakusou
2) Karasu no Mori Gakuen Kitan Gakusou
3) Karasu No Mori Gakuen Kitan Gakusou
4) Karasu No Mori Gake En Kitan Gaku Sou

I can't help but feel the fourth just sucks, but if "Tokyo Mono Hara Shi" is official (go the official site or see the front cover of this album), I wonder the rest also should be separated like that.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh, Karasunomori is a place? In that case, I'd go with Choice 1. I agree the 4th choice is junk.

By the way, Okami fans will enjoy this album.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:27 AM

Well, I assumed the school's name oriented from where it was located, but I can't find the evidence that confirms Karasunomori is a in-game location. It's a proper name, but perhaps we're allowed to separate it more finely. As "Karasu no Mori" returns more results than "Karasunomori", I'll go with it, if nobody objects.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Not that I'm trying to stop you (dunno which name is more correct, and you can't find evidence blah blah), but I wouldn't put more weight on "Karasu no Mori" just because of more results. After all the internet is full of wrongly named albums we have fixed here over time.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Not that I'm trying to stop you (dunno which name is more correct, and you can't find evidence blah blah), but I wouldn't put more weight on "Karasu no Mori" just because of more results. After all the internet is full of wrongly named albums we have fixed here over time.
I'm not saying it's correct just because Google returns more results (indeed, I care about the number of Google results as much as you do). In this case there is no official romanization of 鴉乃杜 so we can say both are valid (if not correct). I thought if we couldn't provide a rationale as to why we went with the minority choice, it was more reasonable to select what looked like a more accepted one among the Internet. An opinion among VGMdb community is regarded most, of course, so if "Karasunomori Gakuen" is more preferred, I have no problem with going for it.

(and VGMdb can sometimes be the source of mistakes ... I might be solely blamed for spreading this awkward "Karasunomorigakuen" *face palms*).

Last edited by Cedille; Sep 11, 2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 08:27 PM

Game cover with furigana, just for reference.
*note the separation of groups of characters.

Last edited by Van.; Nov 13, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 09:27 PM

This is out on streaming services and digital platforms starting 12/5/23 along with seven other Atlus soundtracks (six from SuperSweep's "Game Music Discovery Series").

E: On Deezer as Tokyo Monoharashi: Karasu No Mori Gakuen Kitan Soundtrack

Last edited by Judge Ito; Dec 4, 2023 at 09:40 PM.