VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 2, 2013, 09:20 PM

Default TV Drama music thread

I've been a long-time frequenter of vgmdb, but somehow I never wandered into the "Miscellaneous Discussion" subforums, so I was surprised to see a few threads on soundtracks of Japanese TV series. That's why I thought that a proper topic is in order for folks to discuss & share recommendations.

I've been watching doramas regularly since 2008, more so than anime, so here's a few recommendations.

My biggest favourite is probably the soundtrack for LIFE, a dorama adaptation of the manga of the same name. While most drama soundtracks tend to favor orchestral and piano music, then LIFE adapts an edgier sound. Sort of a combination of raw electronics and rock. The more relaxed themes are of acoustic guitar variety.

Kairou - One of the standouts of the album for sure
Niky Probably the most eclectic track. It's actually a character theme, and it's exceptionally fitting! I wish the ending melody would last longer though.
Senkou - Nice mellow piece.

While I don't hold the dorama in high esteem, Hanazakari no kimitachi e (the first one) has quite a cheerful and peppy sound it.

Ikemen BOOGIE
Boyz be Ambitious

Hana yori dango (both seasons) also sports a really wonderful array of tunes! A bit sappy at places, but never overbearing. It is a soundtrack for a romantic comedy after all!

Hana Yori Dango Main Theme
Cloudy Noon - Probably my favourite off the whole soundtrack.
F4 The theme for the boy group. Generally plays when bad things start happening :P

So here's a few tonight. I have quite a bit of more, but I'll post them later! Look forward to people's opinions on dorama music!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 05:16 AM

I enjoyed Kairou, Niky (your link is broken), Senkou, and F4. Nice selections. I'm not familiar with any Japanese live-action works aside from Yoko Kanno's soundtracks.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 05:36 AM
Trusted Editor

I thought Hana Yori Dango sounded nice. Then I realized it's by Kousuke Yamashita. Guess I've got to check out the full album.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:18 AM

Raziel, thank you for starting this thread.
I start noticing drama soundtracks when I was searching for more CD´s of my favorite anime composers like Sahashi, Kanno, Hattori, Iwashiro and than I found that these composers are also really prolific in drama music scene.

I saw my first drama which was GOLD because of inspiring music by "titan duo" Akira Senju and Yoshihiro Ike and than I saw drama Kokosei Restaurant with music of my favorite composer Takayuki Hattori.
Japanese TV Drama is really special animal - some of my favorites:
Hero, Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de, 37 Sai de Isha ni Natta Boku,
Hotaru No Hikari , Ogon no Buta, Senyiu Tantei Tokage

Now I am watching:
Kodoko no Gurume season 3 - this is probably my favorite drama, Gekiryuu - Watashi o Oboeteimasuka, Machi Isha Jumbo!! and I am planning to watch Hanzawa Naoki

SOME MUSIC INSPIRATION
GOLD (AKIRA SENJU) - Fight for Victory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOZJTuq2uJQ

This is Senju excellent action track (you can hear there some of his action scoring trademarks)

Restaurant de Roi theme - TAKAYUKI HATTORI (live performance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydssLJGFEog

Man I would really like see this live. Oh, why there isn´t DVD/BD release of this concert...