VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:42 PM

Default Selling only OBIs...

So I recently listed a disc for sale, and immediately got someone who was just interested in the OBI.
His second message asked if I'd agree to sell the just the OBI and my response was that (quoting) "I'm appalled that given you want it so much you'd think someone else should separate it"....my thought
Yet, his response was I have "clearly not much experience selling vgm around these parts" and "obviously someone pissed in your cheerios"

So...was I really so in the wrong to think that if someone thinks enough of them that they are looking for one part of it to 'complete' it, that asking someone else to make their own one not complete doesn't make much sense? I mean, if the OBI makes the disc that much more valueable (and it often does) then how is wanting to keep it so make me " most terrible"?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:46 PM

It's an unusual request and I can't blame you for not separating your "complete" copy, obviously reducing it's value to most collectors.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:31 AM

I wish someone would offer this service.

I've always had an evil thought where someone in Japan would break into houses in a neighborhood and steal only obi strips.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
I've always had an evil thought where someone in Japan would break into houses in a neighborhood and steal only obi strips.
Ahaha that's so ridiculous! xD

Frankly I personally never cared much for Obis and when ever I bought a used album the only thing I cared about is condition of the disc.
Though it's understandable how collectors like their things being complete.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:09 PM

I found the obi the other day for the Mystic Ark soundtrack I sold. I felt a small tinge of sadness...

So I guess I have an obi for my downloaded rip of it. Awkward, but effective.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:12 AM

I think "that someone" saw the word "appalled" as an overeaction on your part.
A few years back I gave someone here or STC an obi of Xenogears SSCX I had a spare of. I wouldn't feel offended in any way if I was selling an album and someone asked if he could grab the obi alone. Not saying I would agree, but being appalled, just no.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:10 PM

I won't buy a soundtrack if it doesn't come with the obi, unless maybe it was insanely rare. I would then pursue that obi at all costs. I don't think asking to buy the obi is unreasonable at all.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:07 AM

I think asking to buy the obi if it's not being sold by itself is pretty deplorable. However, I did sometimes wish that people would sell just the obi. They have to do that on their own, though, it's not cool to ask someone to separate it from a soundtrack, it's only if it's already separated, maybe like in GoldfishX's case, for example.

To kind of support the obi buying thing though, I see people doing this all the time on eBay with instruction booklets for games. Like, ALL the time, it's very popular. People want to complete their collections, you know? I don't know how many instruction booklets I've read in my life - 4? - but if I were going to buy a game, I would want it to come with the booklet. But I would absolutely not message someone selling a complete game and ask them to take the booklet out and sell me just that part of it. Then, like GoldfishX said, the value of that copy is reduced. You're asking someone to reduce the value of their copy so that you can complete yours. It's a bit selfish if they haven't agreed to do it on their own.

So basically, you should understand why this guy wanted to buy an obi, but you have every right to refuse such a request to decrease the value of your copy.

Last edited by Hellacia; Sep 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM.