VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Product (Game) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 11, 2011, 07:57 AM

Just want to confirm Persona3 Fes deserves a separate entry or not. Fes is seen as an add-on disc but a stand alone edition which was playable without the first game was released (at least in Japan), so it's similar to FFX-2.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Just want to confirm Persona3 Fes deserves a separate entry or not. Fes is seen as an add-on disc but a stand alone edition which was playable without the first game was released (at least in Japan), so it's similar to FFX-2.
FES is more of a director's cut or extended edition of Persona 3 than anything else. Like Devil May Cry 3 and its Special Edition, or Metal Gear Solid 3 and its Subsistence release, where extended editions include their original editions.

Final Fantasy X-2 was a new game, it was a direct sequel to and did not include X (like Yoshinori Kitase and co. are doing it again with FFXIII and FXIII-2).

So i think FES should be merged into Persona 3.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Dec 9, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
FES is more of a director's cut or extended edition of Persona 3 than anything else. Like Devil May Cry 3 and its Special Edition, or Metal Gear Solid 3 and its Subsistence release, where extended editions include their original editions.

Final Fantasy X-2 was a new game, it was a direct sequel to and did not include X (like Yoshinori Kitase and co. are doing it again with FFXIII and FXIII-2).

So i think FES should be merged into Persona 3.
Well, I don't think comparing Persona 3 Fes with Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, but not with FFX-2 nor FFXIII-2 is right, since P3 Fes features an entirely new story that starts after the end of P3, just like FFX-2 starts after Tidus' departure.

If we're talking about P3 Portable, I'd definitely agree though.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
...P3 Fes features an entirely new story that starts after the end of P3...
Which is an epilogue to Persona 3. It has even some main gameplay elements stripped (social links, school attendance). And how long does it take to beat? A fraction of the time it takes to beat the main game. This is where i think your FFX-2 argument doesn't stand.

FES is not a game on its own, the epilogue was also released as an add-on disc (in japan, as 'append edition') so that you don't have to buy a new full-price disc and beat the entire Persona 3 again if you already have.

FES is Persona 3 (with some updates) + the epilogue. This is what's usually considered as director's cut or extended edition. (Wikipedia on Persona 3 FES)

I'm not dismissing your point as wrong, but i think my argument is stronger.
No hard feelings.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Dec 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
And how long does it take to beat? A fraction of the time it takes to beat the main game. This is where i think your FFX-2 argument doesn't stand.
The officially estimated time is 30 hours, within which we can beat many of JRPGs, especially those of the earlier gens. Then again, time required is just one indicator.
Quote:
FES is not a game on its own, the epilogue was also released as an add-on disc (in japan, as 'append edition') so that you don't have to buy a new full-price disc and beat the entire Persona 3 again if you already have.
That's correct, but I think the possibly most important part about it is we can also play only the Fes alone even if we purchases the combined edition, and that's why Fes remains a borderline case and was a latecomer entry (a half year after I added the P3 page...).

Quote:
I'm not dismissing your point as wrong, but i think my argument is stronger.
No hard feelings.
I either don't intend to argue, since our decisions should ideally be made through a democratic process (although we sometimes take the personal preference of the core members) and when we face something undecidable, we should start a discussion to invite more opinions (and I did, but nobody at that point seemed to care ).

Persona 3 Fes might be lacking in some element as a full-fledged product like FFX-2 (which was also added later), but it's still not flat out disqualified as Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence. We've recently considered the necessity of giving some types of releases (e.g. an enhanced remake) a separate product slot, so I'll once again solicit more opinions from others (if nobody chimes in, Fes would be merged with P3).