VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:21 PM

Alright, then, surely I give "hurt" the wrong meaning, but! My collector-penis would like to kindly remark that if manufacturers made just 1000 copies, then they're fine with just 1000 buyers owning it =D

In the end, it's up to us, there's no harm in asking (unless you're a lucky one and get the user that reports you instantly)... and there's no harm in giving "no" as answer.

Now, who's got some ice, pwetty-pleash? You know, for my collector-thingy... That was a good hit, recovery is needed
last.fm | Discord: Dark Slayer#8440
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
Trusted Editor

If male collectors have a collector-penis, do female collectors have a collector-vagina then? *puzzled*
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
If male collectors have a collector-penis, do female collectors have a collector-vagina then? *puzzled*
I'd guess so, the only thing I'm sure of is that I've considered the use of "blow", instead of "hit", but ultimately decided against it. Feared someone would get the wrong idea
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Nah! It's still a collector-penis. It's a figurative one but it still is one. Plus this may solve some penis envy problems for some people. I think it's a win-win really.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
"I'm proud of being one of the few who actually owns them... I'm a collector, if I'd share them I'd get the feeling to lower their value.
"When you make choices, you should face the consequences, too. You couldn't afford that particular version? Sorry for you."
You know what I'm proud of? That I feel some strong disgust by reading this. This is elitist's talk in its naked and most detestable form.
This whole stuff about rare goods, it just pisses me off. If you get a boner by keeping rare stuff rare on purpose even though it's long out of its sale period: Gratz.

You know how these thoughts separate you from all those capitalist scum out there that value financial profit over anything else? Not at all.

Giving other people the chance to experience something they normally wouldn't be able to, no matter what it is, can be infinitely more rewarding. I've bought a long OOP CD for well over 300$ and shared it with some people. Even if I reduced its value this way (according to you, ilef) and would get less money from a later sale: Dude, I could not care less; there's more than money out there. Am I proud because I own a few "rare" CDs that others don't have? No. It's nice to have them, yes. I like japanese CDs, I like Obis, I like the effort they sometimes put in their packaging and in general it's neat to have some of my favorite music in physical form. But the feeling of satisfaction because you own something that others don't: Boy, that's so wrong.

For artists/publishers, sharing of OOP albums is non-destructive at worst. At best, it can make someone like stuff by a particular artist enough to pay for a future release.

I'm sorry for my wording, I'm not sorry for my opinion. Sometimes, when enough feces accumulates, I just can't hold back.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:46 PM
Trusted Editor

Why are you turning this into an argument for buying vs. downloading vs. rarity vs. etc. etc. etc.? This isn't an argument. Read the first post.

Quote:
1.) Please don't send unsolicited messages to members asking for lossless rips of their albums.
2.) Please don't use the "Show Collections" page to advertise file-trading.
It's not up for debate. This is not a file trading site. I don't think anyone on this site is oblivious to the fact that file sharing happens. But this site is not built around nor does it promote it.

If you want lossless albums, please respect the privacy and have the courtesty to not private message people asking them to rip lossless albums. It's rude, it's disrespectful and it's downright annoying. This is coming from someone who had to put his entire collection in a "Own (DO NOT MESSAGE ME FOR LOSSLESS RIPS)" folder to stop getting private messaged. You can find lossless rips and people who support lossless trading elsewhere. This is not a site where you can exploit the fact that people want to show off their collections or catalog their collections to find people with albums you want.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I agree that it's not a reason to go messaging everybody you see that owns it for a lossless rip of it, but then, there's no reason for that at all
Nobody debated it.

Also, it's the nature of any good conversation to evolve and go slightly off-topic, but if you really wanted to steer the topic back on track, you didn't have to go through the whole "I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PUT DO NOT MESSAGE ME FOR LOSSLESS RIPS" bit again, you could have just said so.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethe View Post
You know what I'm proud of? That I feel some strong disgust by reading this. This is elitist's talk in its naked and most detestable form.
This whole stuff about rare goods, it just pisses me off. If you get a boner by keeping rare stuff rare on purpose even though it's long out of its sale period: Gratz.

You know how these thoughts separate you from all those capitalist scum out there that value financial profit over anything else? Not at all.
Oh, shit, Zethe is disgusted by ol' little me. I... wait for it... I don't give an utter crap.

Just to return slightly on-topic, with the file trading matters, I'll admit publicly that I privately shared stuff on here... And, just for everyone's amusement, do you want to know what kind of answers I've got?:
Quote:
- "Your drive has the wrong offset";
- "It's not a 100%|100% extraction log";
- "Where's the .cue file?";
- "Why an image rip?";
- "There's a typo in artist X's name"
They didn't even thank me, because hey, it appears my rips aren't perfect. It means nothing that I went as far as ripping the CDs, furtherly wearing them (Heh, in case you didn't know, smart lossless/perfect rips addicts, I buy these CDs in order to listen to them... So, yeah, scratches and all the stuff which is likely to make the item unrippable may be a factor, especially when the CD is old). Not to mention that I've uploaded pretty big stuff in MB/GBs with my shitty connection for a bunch of unknown dudes.
If some of you are THAT concerned with the above crap, I've something to tell you folks, with all the hatred I'm capable of:

Go fuck yourselves & good luck with tracking down the original, mint, copies of the album(s). That way you'll be sure to get your effingly-fine lossless rips.

I walked the sharing-is-caring way, but I've stopped and turned around since my efforts do not obviously please the audience.

I'm NOT sorry for my words, as well as NOT sorry for what I'm - not - doing anymore. I tried to be nice, and all I've got was shit & ungratefulness. Fine. You've showed me that you don't deserve digital copies of what I own, fellow VGM fans, but don't be too sad: some of you at least deserve every last pixel of these characters.

Last edited by ilef; Oct 1, 2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Typos and addendum... And another rather big typo
Old Oct 1, 2011, 05:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Cool it down, everyone. It isn't possible for there to be a resolution to this argument.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
If you have digital copies of albums in your collection, please set them to private, or use folder titles that aren't a glaring advertisement for file trading.
What about if there are only digital versions of said album?

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:11 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhane Masaki View Post
What about if there are only digital versions of said album?
This thread is meant to deter file traders, not people who purchase and own music digitally. What it should have said was:

Quote:
If you don't own the albums in your collection, please set them to private, or use folder titles that aren't a glaring advertisement for file trading.
A significant number of users on the site use the "Collection" feature as a means of cataloging their illegally downloaded music files, to which some users were taking advantage of that fact and using it as a means of file trading either by implicit or explicit advertising. There are also the users who use the Collection feature correctly, only cataloging things they personally own (physical or digital), but what was happening was the users who were looking for music would end up sending messages to those users asking for digital rips of said albums. It happened to me a few times and it was annoying.

There's unfortunately nothing that can be done to prevent people from cataloging their downloaded music and I'm not really in any position to preach about the merits or demerits of it, but since this site isn't built on file trading or sharing music (just cataloging), the administration cordially requests you mark those kinds of folders/catalogs as private so you don't promote the kind of behavior noted above.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:57 PM

Yeah perhaps you should change it slightly to emphasize that legally obtained digital albums (or versions in the case of both being available), such as the all the stuff in my own lists, are fine to list.