VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't usually do this, but I've remade the front cover because of the (rather large) color shift in the currently uploaded scans. It seems very hard to get the color of the eyes right (as an example), through adjusting the scanned picture's levels, so I gave up with that in the end, because there isn't much detail to re-add/remove from the original picture used for the front cover anyway - which is obviously superior. It did still take me some time to finish it though, so I hope it will be of use to someone, somehow (maybe not as a VGMdb cover, because of the fact that it doesn't actually come from scanning the physical object, but yeah..).

Here is a comparison (mouse over the image and wait a bit if necessary, to finish loading the mouse-over image): (deleted)

EDIT: Since Dropbox no longer displays HTML in-browser, I guess the convenient alternative is to open the images separately in whatever program that allows you to toggle between pictures (separate tabs in your browser, for example).

Scan: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...m4/ct3scan.jpg
Remake: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/.../ct3remake.jpg

Last edited by Nisto; Mar 6, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:15 PM

Wow - someone else besides me is picky about color correction.

Maybe I should upload my Bakumatsu Roman color scans for anyone who's interested?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:02 AM

(Hope that it's fine to respond to this topic given the age of it as I've been without a laptop for a couple of months to be able to respond to this one).

It looks a great deal better than the original scan did and given that some cover scans could be reworked do you think it would be possible to say, include a Digital Cover option for releases that may have digital download versions or that absolutely needed a corrected cover due to the initial scan quality/compression issues and so-on?

(Also just wanted to say that I'm glad that my scans and uploading of my CT3 press kit media has actually been of use to someone!)
Old Sep 2, 2013, 01:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

No worries, that's pretty common on these forums actually. There are no rules here regarding bumping threads, as far as I'm aware.

I'm glad you think so! Personally I feel like the "original soundtrack" text and even the logo turned out slightly too skewed in the end, among some other smaller flaws. But I guess that's what happens when you take unofficial renders from the net.

So I guess you're the owner of Stalking Insanity? That's pretty cool. Always nice to see people from fan sites on VGM communities as well. Thanks for all the material you've provided on your site, it's been quite helpful. Speaking of material... do you happen to have any official digital(!) art from CT3 with the logo (in somewhat large size (same size as on the cover above, or larger))? The one I used in the cover "remake" is from an unofficial render, as I couldn't find anything better. Thankfully I kept a PSD for the cover, so I won't have to remove all those details from the original again, should you have something...

Regarding the "digital cover" suggestion... I'm "only" a staff member as you may have noticed, and not an actual developer (aka "VGMdb Administrator") of VGMdb, so there's not a whole lot of "behind the scenes" stuff I can really touch. You would have to hope one of them sees it. But my gut tells me (unfortunately) they're either not going to see your suggestion, or they'll just simply have a reason for not implementing it (e.g. having to compromise something).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 07:44 PM

Some of the more unofficial looking renders for CT3 are actually official ones from Capcom Asia oddly enough.

And yes, I am the owner of Stalking Insanity and I'm glad to hear that materials on the site have been useful thus far, though it's nowhere near complete currently.

I'm also currently working on some Drag-on Dragoon/Drakengard, HUMAN Entertainment sub-sites too as they haven't been properly covered online before either.

Anyway, I do have the logo in a higher res, though for the rest of the text it would probably be better to redo it from hand by a higher res scan of the original but fix it up with some levelling and other tricks to get the scan looking cleaner once rescaled.

As for the digital cover idea, that's a shame but do you think in cases where the cover art scan is what I would consider to be poor quality (Clock Tower 3 in this case or the Persona 3 fes one I noticed the other day) that it would be fine to include within the notes a link to either a remade or a "restored" cover (a scan that has been cleaned up properly to remove flecks, damage to the initial scan or colour issues)?

That way direct links to the higher res cover art from say, iTunes could also be included without having to add more images onto the site's server.

I tend to do higher res scans, adjust the levels and colour issues before rescaling to try and make sure that the scans look clean, readable but most importantly, that they look like how the actual cover looks instead of being washed out, grainy, blurry or colour shifted/tinted.

Though I only needed to adjust the levels on the Persona and Drag-on Dragoon related ones I've just submitted last night and early this morning as I wasn't happy with initial scans I saw of them.

Last edited by Enetirnel; Sep 2, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm not sure of your definition of "renders", but what I meant by it was basically "graphics with a transparent background" (it's a common term used by gfx artists, although it might mean different things I suppose - but see e.g. http://planetrenders.net/). But if you meant the same, then, hmm.. okay. Personally I actually haven't seen many Clock Tower 3 renders at all thus far. I believe I got the Clock Tower 3 logo render from the Wikia article.

Would you mind PMing me a link to the art you had with the logo? Or is it already on Stalking Insanity? A black background would work as well by the way..

We don't usually put URLs in the notes, and we don't like linking things that might eventually become unavailable (sure "everything has an expiration date", but it would probably be more likely with non-official links). But again, it's mostly up to the devs, what they think. Really though, scans here ARE often retouched without anyone knowing it (let's face it, scanners will NOT produce completely dust-free images, no matter how clean the scanner glass appears to be), so whenever you do see a scan (and not a digital cover) with little (or no) dust, it will most definitely be a retouched one. But in this case, I basically made the cover "from scratch", so it feels more.. unorthodox? than a typical "retouched" image. Especially with the skewed details and whatnot.

Last edited by Nisto; Sep 4, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:01 PM

I figured it was for the transparent image, there is actually some of them in the press kit stuff.

I'm having a look right now but I'm having a feeling I've put it onto my external hard-drive which I need to replace tomorrow as it started making clicking noises on me earlier (as I'm starting to phase in the massive site update I took a break from).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:13 AM

Two little questions about this release:

1) It says 2 CD under "Media Format" but the tracklist shows only 1 disc. Is this a mistake?

2) The composer breakdown is a bit confusing. Is Cozy Kubo the main composer for every track and the others just did additional music?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiepop View Post
Two little questions about this release:

1) It says 2 CD under "Media Format" but the tracklist shows only 1 disc. Is this a mistake?

2) The composer breakdown is a bit confusing. Is Cozy Kubo the main composer for every track and the others just did additional music?
1) I guess it's an error, I saw no mention of a 2nd disc

2) I think cozy made all tracks except those ones made by other composers (like tr.1,2,4,etc.)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
1) I guess it's an error, I saw no mention of a 2nd disc

2) I think cozy made all tracks except those ones made by other composers (like tr.1,2,4,etc.)
Thank you for the fast reply (and the clarification) :-)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:08 AM

fearin probably thought the TGCS catalogue was for a 2nd disc, but that catalogue is used for another purpose (probably jasrac but not 100% sure)
now I wonder if s/he did the same edits for other releases
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
This is correct. JASRAC has Kubo for the ones not otherwise credited to another composer.

The notes on the entry reflect what's printed in the booklet. They could probably be clarified.