VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Feb 7, 2010, 07:46 PM

So what is the official spelling of Andross' Japanese name anyway? Is it Andruf (here) or Andorf (recent sites). I certainly don't believe it's Andolf (SNES).

On that note, doesn't Katt look better than Cat? If all the other names (besides Andruf/Andorf) made it perfectly intact in the US version, then can Katt be considered an official spelling?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:10 AM
VGMdb Staff

I don't see much reason to assume there are any 'official Japanese romanizations' of the character names here. No romanizations are mentioned either on the old official site or the ja.wiki page either. And since the names present in the English language versions don't really differ, as you say, we can just go with the English ones here.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
I don't see much reason to assume there are any 'official Japanese romanizations' of the character names here. No romanizations are mentioned either on the old official site or the ja.wiki page either. And since the names present in the English language versions don't really differ, as you say, we can just go with the English ones here.
This idea JUST came to me:

(ガノンドフ, Ganondorofu) Ganondorf (official romanization)
(アンドフ Andorufu) Andorf (unofficial romanization)

Looking at the breakdown, I am now willing to conclude that it is, in fact, Andruf. I should have just concluded that from the start simply because of the ル symbol meaning "ru". Oh well, live and learn.

EDIT:
Also, pages of the booklet for this album are uploaded on Arwing Landing. Here are the ones with the tracklist, which include larger English titles before the Japanese titles. The third page shows why I asked about Katt Monroe being Katt instead of Cat. I prefer to use these English titles in the same vein as the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64 OSTs - because they're there and they appear more dominant. Hope you don't mind if a few of your edits get reversed.
http://www.arwinglanding.net/music/i...20List%201.jpg
http://www.arwinglanding.net/music/i...20list%202.jpg
http://www.arwinglanding.net/music/i...20list%203.jpg

If you want the straight translation from the Japanese symbols to appear here, I suggest submitting it as a "(Literal) English Translation" tracklist.

Also, "An-do-ru(oo)f-u-don!!" - Andrew, Star Fox 64 (JP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qANSuUajr9s at 4:01

Thanks for the input on "Katt" Monroe btw.

OMT: Goodbye Junior shackles.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 03:44 PM
VGMdb Staff

Oh, so that's where the strange [non-literal] English titles came from - nice find on those scans. Means we're back to 'Cat' again though I'm afraid ;p
Old Feb 8, 2010, 04:17 PM

Although her name is Katt. Katt Monroe, actually.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 05:19 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
Well, in the Western releases. The Japanese names are different in many cases, it's just that romanizations for them are rarely provided.

The name "Cat" still appears in the code for STARFOX COMMAND, for example.

...and in some cases, the Japanese teams just suddenly stick with the Western names for no apparent reason (Gannon -> Ganon, Kuppa -> Koopa, Yossy -> Yoshi).
It also doesn't help that Katt Monroe's first name is spelt キャット in Japanese, which is how "cat" is normally romanized using those symbols. I also know for a fact that Koopa was written as Kuppa in Super Mario 64's code when it was first released. I'm guessing that the English translator(s) for this album wrote the entry as Cat simply because the same romanization was used for the character, but the fact that Cat appears in SFC's code has made me a bit uncertain.

In the end, however, I still believe that it is spelled Katt because all the other translations (Fox, Peppy, Slippy, Falco, Bill, Rob, Wolf, Leon, Pigma, Andrew) came out as such the first time they were introduced in Japan and were all retained for western releases; Andross is an exception because Andruf does not equal Andross. Therefore, the reason why Katt is Cat in SFC is because of, again, the shared romanization. At least Koopa is an original name; that's why his romanization changed so easily.

Something else I thought I'd mention: The OST for the original Star Fox listed TITANIA in the tracklist as TAITANIA, even though TITANIA appears in the booklet and the original version of the game. Just saying that tracklist names are not always perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgPWqR53j4g at 0:58

FINAL EDIT: Nevermind, it definitely IS Cat. This proves it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFwOlEJ7iQ at 5:40
The single letter system does not lie, and considering there are characters called Fox and Wolf (and components of other animals in the names Falco and Leon, which in themselves are not spelled differently), I guess Cat really isn't that far out of line.
~Looks like I put out my own fire. What an embarrassment on my part. At least the scans are finally in and we can close the book on this album forever. Bye bye.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 9, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:20 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:19 AM

Booklet 1 and 4 are the same image, can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
Booklet 1 and 4 are the same image, can anyone confirm?
It seems I mistakenly added the same image twice. It's fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:28 AM

The Booklet 1 picture is corrupt now. Please fix.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
The Booklet 1 picture is corrupt now. Please fix.
It should work now.