VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:34 AM

Default Bootleg entries?

There's surely a good reason for having that, but I can't quite understand what is the point of having the option to make entries for bootleg albums, since every bootleg comes from an official catalogued album. Is it to warn people and make them see the difference between the two, so that they know what they bought?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:16 AM

I think there is also the case of Live events being unofficially recorded that would fall into this category.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Apart from those reasons, bootleg albums do not necessarily have the same content as the original albums (a certain vendor likes to combine soundtracks and theme song singles). But yes, the main reason is to warn users or let them ascertain whether their copy is indeed a bootleg.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T View Post
I think there is also the case of Live events being unofficially recorded that would fall into this category.
That's not quite the same thing, and shouldn't be included here. If someone bootlegs a concert, produces an album, and starts selling it in stores, then it qualifies.

Currently, only staff can access the Bootleg category (and only on edit.) I knew this would be a controversial topic, but I think it's important to provide the information so that people can make a better-informed decision when buying an album.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:01 AM

I was wondering about that, too, and I must admit I don't like it that much to add Bootlegs here as well, because almost every popular soundtrack also have a bootleg-version. Wouldn't it be enough to make an extra page like the one on chudah's corner with information about the bootlegs, examples etc? The page on chudah's corner helped me a lot, actually and it was so far all the information I needed. I noticed that some bootleg CDs have additional content but is that really reason enough to list it only because the tracklist is different? I mean, these are bootlegs after all.
...but that's just my opinion. It's your decision after all.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:26 AM

Listing them isn't bad at all, in my opinion. It doesn't mean, that VGMdb is supporting bootlegs. It's still some kind of information, since not everyone is able to tell the differences between an official production and a bootleg.
Anyway... There would also be the possibility to store them in a seperated section, wouldn't it? It's just an idea.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:33 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am agree that bootlegs should stay to Warn poeple.

It's not like we are going to add 3000+ bootlegs anyway i presume..
Few bootlegs for example dosn't hurt.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We can also make it such that bootlegs don't show up by default, and you have to tweak your options to view them in album listings, for example.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Well, much like reprints can have information like (reprint of XXXX) with a link to the original release, I feel bootleg's should say something like unique like (bootleg of XXXX).

I don't like seeing some of the listed bootlegs with the yellow-R reprint symbol. To me, I feel like a "reprint" in this context should imply one done by the legal owner of the material.

Anyone have a rough idea/stats on the amount of bootleg releases not even being illegal reprints, but rather compilations done by the bootlegger? Would there be a way to designate that the bootleg is actually not a reprint or derivation of anything?

Last but not least, (again, don't know how pervasive this is), but if there are bootleg compilations that plucked from more than one source, there would need to a be a way to enter info potentially directing to more than one legal album (bootleg of XXXX & YYYY).

Also noting that the publisher/artist/album website field should remain to add information to, but would it potentially be better to disable the link generation to the bootlegger sites? Seems like something like this could encourage some visits to bootleggers.

All just suggestions. Discard whatever's unfounded or impractical.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:36 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I like the idea of disabling the link, since we really don't want to direct people to their site, except maybe to write angry letters. I think we'll definitely remove the links.

Some bootlegs are compilations and not reprints, and those ones would be "standalone" albums in the database. I can see your point on the use of the R symbol for reprint, however (colorblindness aside) the red text should be enough to alert the viewer that this isn't a true reprint. I think the notes field can be used to indicate the sources for multi-source bootlegs.

BTW, we've only added a few, and mostly those were either ones that were submitted by non-staff by mistake, or ones where I noticed that bootleg scans were uploaded to the official album, so I created the bootleg and moved the scans.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Well, much like reprints can have information like (reprint of XXXX) with a link to the original release, I feel bootleg's should say something like unique like (bootleg of XXXX).
I'd have to agree with this.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I incorporated some of these ideas, giving bootlegs a unique description when pointing to their parent, giving bootleg child albums a unique description on the parent's drop-down menu, and disabling the display of the website field for all bootleg albums.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:24 PM

So, I was going to add a bootleg of FFVI that I rather unfortunately got saddled with many years back, and I wanted to both weigh in on this debate and ask a few quick questions.

First of all, I think bootlegs should certainly be on the site, as I've seen some auctions in the past where people list the "catalogue number" but refrain from saying anything about its authenticity to try and trick people, and having them on the site as a warning doesn't hurt anybody. Nobody wants a bootleg, and I don't think we have to worry about advertising them.

That being said, it seems silly to list them as reprints. I associate that with authenticity . . . *shrugs*

I do like a lot of the ideas in the topic, like the "child album" idea. Should I hold off on adding a bootleg? If it's okay, anything in particular you'd like to see me do?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

"Reprints" in the database are really just a term for creating a link between two albums. The relationship will be described according to the nature of the album -- "reprints" on the same day will be tagged with "alternate printing of", and bootlegs, as mentioned, will be tagged with "bootleg of".