VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:56 AM

Man, I absofuckinglutely love this CD. I've always been a fan of the original melodies for the PC Engine CD game, but listening some of my favorite LoX1 tracks in glorious PC-98-style synth made me appreciate this music a lot more - Glacies for example sounds infinitely better than the in-game counterpart!

"Black eye for Falcom", "bland/terrible synth" and "some of the worst music from Falcom" my ass. If only the entire soundtrack was arranged in this style on a separate album or something...

Anyway, just submitted a few scans I made. As with the Ys IV J.D.K. Special, it also includes an interview with various members of the Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. from 1993. I wonder what is discussed in it...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 09:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I love the cover art with this album, and the album itself is strong. I'm also a big fan of JDK Band IV (Ys IV vs LoX)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:05 AM

It's definitely a step up in quality from the Turbo Grafx chip music. And to be honest, I consider it a step up from the actual redbook tracks.

Legend of Xanada always had great underlying music, but the presentation on various albums was lacking. It could have used its own Perfect Collection, ala Ys and Sorcerian. The JDK Band IV tracks were okay, but the synthesizers they used in that album kills it for me and there wasn't enough from either score (there were 6 LoX tracks and 3 of them were about 2 minutes in length...What shows up from Ys IV was stomped by the Perfect Collections) Even the Super Arrange seems a tad lackluster. My favorite arrange of the music is the Kleene doujin. And the tracks from Falcom Special Box 93 and 94.

Last edited by GoldfishX; Jul 30, 2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old May 28, 2015, 04:46 PM

Was there a mistake on track 30? I am not sure if it was the person who put the info in or the people who made the CD. The track KLEENE is supposed to be Wings of Freedom, one of the arranged tracks from the original soundtrack. KLEENE does not appear in this one.

The actual KLEENE appears twice in the game. The arranged (in the original soundtrack) and non-arranged version (only heard in the game).

Also, The Legend of Xanadu, as well as the sequel, have epic soundtracks. Two of Falcom's best in my opinion.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; May 28, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 07:17 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added an image of the Obi for this one.