VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
So I got my copy today, but this Play Button (I guess that's Disc 6?).. is it battery operated? Came with USB cord, but that doesn't seem like it's used to charge it. Not sure if the battery is replaceable. Didn't want to take it apart and ruin it if not.
Assuming it's the same as the other playbuttons, you should see a light blinking on the front when it's connected to USB charging. Check the instructions since they recommend to plug it into the playbutton before, and the USB after.

The battery is soldered and not (easily) replaceable.

Last edited by Illidan; Apr 27, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Assuming it's the same as the other playbuttons, you should see a light blinking on the front when it's connected to USB charging. Check the instructions since they recommend to plug it into the playbutton before, and the USB after.

The battery is not replaceable.
I would assume it's a no, but is there any way to rip the tracks from the playbutton?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 09:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

As far as I know, the only way would be to record the audio output.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 05:28 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBgov1133 View Post
Does anyone have a good image of the front of the box? I'm not really a fan of the one that's on this page since it's not straight.
I added a cleaner scan of the box front (and digipack front).
Old Apr 28, 2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
I added a cleaner scan of the box front (and digipack front).
Thanks, this is a good scan.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 01:32 PM

I think the tracklist need to be fixed with help of the translator, but I not played the game so I can't precise if a translation of mine will be accurate.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:53 PM

I got the OST today. When I import it to iTunes, there are 3 sets of tracklists I can choose from - one that's entirely in English.

I'm not sure if this is the "official" English tracklist, or if it's fan-translated, since these tracklists can be user-submitted. However, I'll be sure to post it here when I get to importing it - can't import the entire thing right now, busy.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 01:04 AM

Here's the English tracklist I was talking about. I compiled it into an imgur album since I'm lazy and don't want to copy the entire tracklist. It seems fan-translated to me anyway, so I plan on using the tracklist we made earlier.

https://imgur.com/a/RVhxwfA

What do you guys think of this?

EDIT 2: On closer inspection, it seems like it's made up of a variety of the titles we all suggested previously throughout this thread, with a few typos here and there. It's quite clearly user-submitted to me, but I was curious what everyone here thought of it.

EDIT: I changed the capitalisation of the title for this page since that's how it is on the box - the "o" and "t" of the words "of" and "the" are clearly smaller than the other letters of the album title on the package I have in front of me right now.

Last edited by MBgov1133; Apr 30, 2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 04:50 AM

Interesting thing I noticed:

The Temple of Time track on the full OST release is actually different to the release on the sound selection CD. The piano doesn't ring on for as long as in the sound selection CD. I'm not sure if this is a mastering thing, but it sounds like they're lifting the piano keys earlier. Probably just a mastering thing.

It could also just be the method and format in which I'm importing the tracks, but I'm not sure that's the case since I notice the same thing when I listen to the track straight from the CD without ripping it.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 05:11 AM

Just one last question about the tracklist, for track 5-57, weren't we going to go with "The Champions' Ballad"? Since that's what shows up in-game after you finish the Final Trial, with the same title in Japanese. Kass tells you the name, from memory.

I thought I posted screenshots earlier in this thread but I can't seem to find them.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 05:29 AM
VGMdb Staff

You're remembering incorrectly.

And please try not quadruple post in the future. This isn't Twitter.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
You're remembering incorrectly.
Oh okay.

Quote:
And please try not quadruple post in the future. This isn't Twitter.
Yeah, my bad. I usually don't but it felt wrong to put them all into one post, for some reason. Won't do it again.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 06:33 AM
Trusted Editor

At least for edits, I will just edit the primary post where I make my edit notes and if the edited additions were enough to warrant me wanting users subscribed to the post to see it, or for users who use the New Posts / Today's Posts forum functions, I will bump it at the very end.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 04:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I dug up a link to this earlier for a different site, so I'll post it here too because not everyone knows this.

The BotW main theme has a very prominent, short gap of silence at the 1:05 mark, and it's an intentional part of the composition; it wasn't just added for a dramatic moment in the E3 2016 trailer or something like that. Which is why it wasn't "fixed" on this CD or the Sound Selection, and also why it appears exactly the same in the credits theme and as a weird, stumbling 5/8 bar in the Dark Beast Ganon theme.

Quote:
Also, at the beginning of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Link has just woken up from artificial sleep (a 100-year long one at that), and has lost his memory. She wanted to reflect that in the main theme, which is why there is this rather strange break (something that was immediately noticed by fans in the E3 2016 trailer, where it debuted).

She wanted to express that with this break, which represents Link taking a “new breath”, after 100 years in stasis. This break basically serves as the division between Zelda and the past (the part before the break), and Link and adventure in the present day (the part after the break).
(it's my favorite part of the song, honestly)

Last edited by CHz; Apr 30, 2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old May 1, 2018, 05:49 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm not an expert on the music in this game, what medleys comprise the Trailer BGM bonus track? The credits only list the Kosuke Yamashita arrangement and Koji Kondo feat. credit. I'm assuming it just uses medleys from the game and it's not an original composition (otherwise it'd be credited?)
Old May 1, 2018, 08:06 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I'm not an expert on the music in this game, what medleys comprise the Trailer BGM bonus track? The credits only list the Kosuke Yamashita arrangement and Koji Kondo feat. credit. I'm assuming it just uses medleys from the game and it's not an original composition (otherwise it'd be credited?)
I can tell he took a lot of creative liberties with this piece but it's most definitely an arrangement.

Just looking at the first minute we can VERY LOOSELY hear parts of:
0:00 botw main theme
0:16 daruk's theme
0:32 puzzle solved jingle
0:34 botw main theme
0:43 probably daruk's theme again
1:07 botw main theme

Why only the main theme and Daruk's theme? That's because those are the themes used in the 1st and 2nd trailer.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I can tell he took a lot of creative liberties with this piece but it's most definitely an arrangement.

Just looking at the first minute we can VERY LOOSELY hear parts of:
0:00 botw main theme
0:16 daruk's theme
0:32 puzzle solved jingle
0:34 botw main theme
0:43 probably daruk's theme again
1:07 botw main theme

Why only the main theme and Daruk's theme? That's because those are the themes used in the 1st and 2nd trailer.
So it's more an arrangement of a "collection of tracks" (meaning 3 in this case) from the OST? I guess that would explain the lack of a composer credit, but in this case it'd be Manaka Kataoka & Yasuaki Iwata, with Koji Kondo featured compositions, I'm assuming then.
Old May 3, 2018, 06:03 PM

Kind of nitpicky, but every instance of "Link's Memories" we have in the tracklist--shouldn't they all be "Link's Memory" (singular) since each track only references one memory that Link recovers? (I don't know how Japanese differentiates between singular and plural...)
Old May 3, 2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Kind of nitpicky, but every instance of "Link's Memories" we have in the tracklist--shouldn't they all be "Link's Memory" (singular) since each track only references one memory that Link recovers? (I don't know how Japanese differentiates between singular and plural...)
They don't differentiate between singular and plural, but I'd argue that "Memories" suits more for this context. It implies that it's a part of the "set" of memories that Link is attempting to recover, since they are never referred to as "this memory" in the game.

Besides, I think "this scene is from Link's memories" sounds much better than "this scene is from Link's memory", since it's taken from a "pool of memories", if you like.

On another note, wouldn't "初めてのロケーション" translate more like "First Visit to a Location" or something along those lines? This, rather than "The First Location". The track plays when you discover a location in-game, so I thought "The First Location" sounds very.... odd. Saying "Location Discovered" wouldn't be correct either, since the word used is "初めて", so something more akin to "first time".
Old May 4, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
On another note, wouldn't "初めてのロケーション" translate more like "First Visit to a Location" or something along those lines? This, rather than "The First Location". The track plays when you discover a location in-game, so I thought "The First Location" sounds very.... odd. Saying "Location Discovered" wouldn't be correct either, since the word used is "初めて", so something more akin to "first time".
Maybe something like "Location Reached" or "Arrival at Location"? Or even "First Arrival at Location" to be fully accurate?
Old May 5, 2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Guy View Post
Maybe something like "Location Reached" or "Arrival at Location"? Or even "First Arrival at Location" to be fully accurate?
Hmm, the third suggestion here may work. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Quote:
Just one last question about the tracklist, for track 5-57, weren't we going to go with "The Champions' Ballad"? Since that's what shows up in-game after you finish the Final Trial, with the same title in Japanese. Kass tells you the name, from memory.

I thought I posted screenshots earlier in this thread but I can't seem to find them.
Just on this one again, but I really think it should be "The Champions' Ballad", since it's the "completed song" of the "verses" that were played earlier. The arrangement of the piece becomes more complex each verse, while track 5-57 is Kass' "completed" version of it.
Old May 5, 2018, 02:18 AM

why not just "(Brand-)New Location" ?
Old May 7, 2018, 12:58 AM

Going literal with "First Location" doesn't really make sense because the way they're using ロケーション as a verbal noun doesn't translate unambiguously back into English. "Location Discovered" seems most logical to me based on where people are saying it plays.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 03:10 PM

Official English track title for track 5-57 is "The Champions' Ballad". This is mentioned on the 3DS Theme shop.

Spoiler:

I confirmed that it was track 5-57 with this video:

https://youtu.be/sHFG8QY3mAY
Old Sep 29, 2019, 09:12 AM

Hi. I believe I've noticed an error in the tracklist, and I haven't heard anybody talk about it in this thread. If I shouldn't respond or if I'm bumping, please let me know, I don't want to go around breaking any rules. (It doesn't talk about bumping anywhere there.)

1-10
I don't think the track name should be called Great Plateau. Firstly, the track's name is 高地 and the Japanese name of the Great Plateau is 始まりの台地. Secondly, this song doesn't only play in the Great Plateau, but it appears to play in mountainous regions when you're near a shrine, such as the Hebra Mountains and the Gerudo Highlands, so the translation is inaccurate.

I hope I helped.