VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
VGMdb Staff

Why did you remove the platform?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

"Movie, Series (and OVA by its name naturally)" platform choices is for animation only. (not live action movies).
It was done like that for live action movie OSTs that are present in the database (almost always) - live action movie title followed by 'movie' in brackets.
I had asked once about this but I got no answer so I've continued with the established pattern.

Also something to do with why you can't put 'video' when you make a product page for live action movie - 'other' should be put instead - recently clarified by SS (so it seems the video is for animation only too).

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

I don't think it's ever been said that platforms are restricted to animation. And you yourself even added the movie platform to Hisaishi's most recent live action soundtrack.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

lol at myself - yes, yes, I did... The only time I've done it though (I think).
I hope a clear answer will follow soon (so the 'movie' platform can be used for those Hitman, PoP, Resident Evil, Max Payne etc. live action movies... or not)

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:35 AM

I wonder where you got that idea that "movie" is only for animation
movie whatever type of images used is still movie and honestly deciding "movie" is only for animation could be the most stupid decision made for vgmdb
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well I could use the same argument for live action movie product pages which are suggested to be classified as "other" rather than "video", because just 'video' is animation video, it's also live action video. So why use 'other' when it's also a video eh?

Either that or more precise things are needed like 'video - animation' and 'video - live action'.

Last edited by Efendija; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think it's ok to use "Movie" on the album page's classification, because there are 2 classifiers:
  • [Animation] + [Movie] -> Animated movie (green)
  • [No Classifcation] + [Movie] -> Live action movie (blue)

But we can't use it on the product page, because there is only one classifier:
  • [Video] -> Animated movie, series, OVA (green)
  • [Other] -> Live action movie or anything else (blue)

I suppose we should probably rework the way we classify products to be clearer, though I don't know if there's a benefit for going with multiple types of classifiers here.

Also, the [Movie, OVA, Series] platforms area all pretty new, maybe about a year old, so most movies in the database right now probably don't have a platform listed.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
Well I could use the same argument for live action movie product pages which are suggested to be classified as "other" rather than "video", because just 'video' is animation video, it's also live action video. So why use 'other' when it's also a video eh?

Either that or more precise things are needed like 'video - animation' and 'video - live action'.
in the absence of any other format, you must go with what there is
"video" being said for any animation stuff, you only can go with "other"

on another note, I wonder why it has been called "video" (did I not ask that question before?)
coulda been simpler to just call "animation" (and less confusing)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:26 AM

Wouldn't video also apply to non-animated stuff like those superplay DVDs with a soundtrack?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
VGMdb Staff

So movie is OK? All the easier then. But if we are forced to put live action movies as 'other' in product pages, there is no reason why the seriously misleading 'video' should stay. Rename it to animation and call it a day xD
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhack View Post
Wouldn't video also apply to non-animated stuff [...] ?
theorically yes, but in pratice it's not that obvious
I guess some decision should be made once and for all about it
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:24 AM
Trusted Editor

- Fixed track times
- I know Yakusoku is typically translated as Promise but "Commitment" fits way better for this film (marriage, family, struggles of parents getting older and support coming from children, etc.)
Old May 13, 2023, 01:35 PM

I don't know how to get more accurate coloring on my scanner. What's quite yellow on Mokona's booklet images are actually orange, somewhere between Mokona's and the obi scan I've uploaded. My personal scan of the disc came out almost brick red, which is really off from the actual color, which is slightly more towards red than what Mokona uploaded. My scanner also has serious issues with pink, coming out purple in most cases.
Old May 16, 2023, 03:42 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaqthourne View Post
I don't know how to get more accurate coloring on my scanner. What's quite yellow on Mokona's booklet images are actually orange, somewhere between Mokona's and the obi scan I've uploaded. My personal scan of the disc came out almost brick red, which is really off from the actual color, which is slightly more towards red than what Mokona uploaded. My scanner also has serious issues with pink, coming out purple in most cases.
Before going any further, what sort of scanner is it? A multifunction model?
Perhaps a standalone (CanoScan Lide 300, Epson V19) might work better for accuracy.
If the model isn't the issue, what's the scanner's connection to the computer (and calibration, if any)?
Old May 20, 2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantomConvoy View Post
Before going any further, what sort of scanner is it? A multifunction model?
Perhaps a standalone (CanoScan Lide 300, Epson V19) might work better for accuracy.
If the model isn't the issue, what's the scanner's connection to the computer (and calibration, if any)?
It's an HP OfficeJet Pro. I'm guessing it's more geared towards document scans, as it's an all-in-one scanner, printer, fax.
The thing is, the accuracy seems to depend on what's scanned. For example, with the Utena movie OST, my scans of the tray and the box are pretty spot on for the pink coloring, but what should be pink on my own booklet scans are very purple.
Old May 20, 2023, 08:43 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
It's an HP OfficeJet Pro. I'm guessing it's more geared towards document scans, as it's an all-in-one scanner, printer, fax.
The thing is, the accuracy seems to depend on what's scanned. For example, with the Utena movie OST, my scans of the tray and the box are pretty spot on for the pink coloring, but what should be pink on my own booklet scans are very purple.
I wonder if the scanning software might have anything to do with it, although when I was using such an all-in-one I had just about no idea what was going on under the hood, and only used Windows Fax & Scan (as HP Smart can't do PNG).
Barring the scanner, what software do you use for your edits? Because depending on what it is, it can tweak the colours or levels a bit (however it may not completely save the scan as a lot of it depends on scan settings, calibrations, and what type it is in general).
Old May 21, 2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the scanning software might have anything to do with it, although when I was using such an all-in-one I had just about no idea what was going on under the hood, and only used Windows Fax & Scan (as HP Smart can't do PNG).
Barring the scanner, what software do you use for your edits? Because depending on what it is, it can tweak the colours or levels a bit (however it may not completely save the scan as a lot of it depends on scan settings, calibrations, and what type it is in general).
I use Paint Shop Pro. I had to do color adjustments for most of the Utena scans I uploaded. Of the 1700+ scans I've submitted, those have been the only ones that were so far off that it was required to get them anywhere close to accurate.
Old May 21, 2023, 07:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
I use Paint Shop Pro. I had to do color adjustments for most of the Utena scans I uploaded. Of the 1700+ scans I've submitted, those have been the only ones that were so far off that it was required to get them anywhere close to accurate.
Interesting, haven't heard of that software before, apparently it's now owned by the company behind CorelDRAW (which goes by a somewhat different name now than I remember).
Old May 23, 2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Interesting, haven't heard of that software before, apparently it's now owned by the company behind CorelDRAW (which goes by a somewhat different name now than I remember).
I got it as a gift about 20 years ago (it has a 2001 build date). Amazingly, Windows 10 has no issues running it.
Old May 23, 2023, 05:10 PM

Here's what I'm dealing with. The sticker should be pink like this.

Instead, what I get is this:

The solid red on the left scan and the book above the sticker on the right scan are both pretty accurate.

Last edited by Blaqthourne; May 23, 2023 at 05:14 PM.