VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 5, 2009, 06:54 PM

I've been out of the VGM loop for a long time and while this isn't pertaining to the album entry in the database, I do have a question.

There's another message board I browse and somebody is trying to get rid of his copy of this soundtrack for $100. Is this a good price? He says the case is cracked, though it can be replaced and that everything else is in mint condition.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:45 AM

Well, if it's legitimate, that price is considerably lower than what that album usually fetches on YJA. I've seen auctions for that album end well over 20,000 yen. In fact, it's rare that the opening bid on that album is under 10,000 yen.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I figured as much that auctions for it would end around the $200 (20,000 yen) range. I did PM him asking to take pictures of it as well, though I've yet to hear a response from him. Won't be buying if it's a boot, of course.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:01 PM

I am changing "Barret Volcano" with "Barrel Volcano". I'm sure it's a typo.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes it was. I tweaked a bit the translation and fixed a couple of mistakes. Most of the tracks used JP names but some used US names instead. I changed those to their JP counterparts for consistency (having all western names is fine too).

Also, "Kajioh" (Smithy) was misspelt as "Kajidoh". That sure lasted long.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:50 AM

I'm not really an expert about super mario games, but except for "hello from the pipe", "long long ago", "heart beating" (and maybe "the end") tracks, the rest sounds like brandnew to me not featured
if someone is more expert in super mario games than I am and knows this soundtrack, they could tell if those other tracks are original tia
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:37 AM

EDIT: Now after posting the stuff below, I realize I think you were asking if these are just taken directly from other games and not arrangements. The answer there is no. Everything is unique to this game, including "Long Long Ago..." and "Heart Beating a Little Faster", which copy the arrangements and attempt to copy the sound of the originals, but are still slightly different.

"Aboveground BGM" from Super Mario Bros. is used in "Let's Try", "Super Pipe House", "Let's Play 'Geno'", "Long Long Ago...", "Heart Beating a Little Faster", and "The End!"

"World 1 Map" from Super Mario Bros. 3 is used in "In the Flower Garden" and "Super Pipe House".

"King Koopa" from Super Mario Bros. 3 is used in "Fight Against Koopa" and "Koopa Castle (Second Time)".

"Bonus Level/Invincible BGM" from Super Mario Bros. is used in "Nice Star".

"Underground BGM" from Super Mario Bros. is used in "Hello from the Pipe" and "The Axem Rangers Drop In".

"Warning" and "Miss" from Super Mario Bros. are used in "Heart Beating a Little Faster".

That covers all tracks on which Koji Kondo is credited for original score.

By the way, note the ingenious way Shimomura combined Mario 3's "World 1 Map" with the Super Mario theme.

Last edited by _if; Jul 26, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:12 AM

even "long long ago" ?
it sounds like super mario bros stages with the time out (not arranged, I mean)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:37 PM

I have to agree with _if here, as these arrangements have some subtle yet noticeable differences with the original Above Ground BGM.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:00 PM

Great soundtrack, arguably the best game music from any of the Mario RPGs.

But I'm not gonna lie--there are some dang weird song titles on this OST. (I really wish there had been a localized version of this album because I'd love to see what the official English titles would've been.)
Old Feb 22, 2015, 05:26 PM

Yeah, it's my favorite Shimomura soundtrack by quite a lot. So much energy and wonder, while keeping perfectly in line with the Mario universe.

I really want it, but it's possibly the most expensive non-obscure vgm album in existence.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 08:08 PM

3rded. This is the only soundtrack of Shimomura's I'm a diehard fan of. Both the compositions and the way the SNES samples are (primarily the bass) are top notch. It's just a fun romp the entire time.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 08:37 AM

Question.

I have this album and came across this on wikipedia:

Quote:
Yoko Shimomura, best known for her previous work in Street Fighter II, composed the game's music. As part of the score, she incorporated arrangements of music by Koji Kondo from Super Mario Bros. and three tracks by Nobuo Uematsu from Final Fantasy IV. Shimomura regards the Super Mario RPG soundtrack as one of the turning points in her career as a composer.[24] The music from the game was released as a soundtrack album, titled Super Mario RPG Original Sound Version (スーパーマリオRPG オリジナル・サウンド・ヴァージョン). NTT Publishing released it in Japan on March 25, 1996. The two-disc set contains 61 of the game's 73 songs.
I haven't played the game in years (I think maybe when I was 18 and I'm twice that now) but I can't think of anything that's missing here. Is there anything missing or is this snippet of info incorrect?
Old May 10, 2019, 10:47 AM

There's not really much missing from the album and 73 tracks total seems a rather arbitrary number because it depends on how you define what's missing and I'm kinda confused as to how that was the number that Wikipedia editor settled on. All of the battle themes go wonky and slow down and lower in pitch if you lose and get a game over, so do those count as missing tracks? The stuff not present is basically just variations/fragments of full-length tracks and musical sound effects.

I'm a completist in disposition, but I have to say there aren't really any substantial pieces of music missing, and much of what is would have been hard to integrate into an album listening experience, like those wonky battle themes. You're certainly not losing out on 12 tracks that equate to what's on the album.
Old May 10, 2019, 01:52 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Possible missing tracks, nothing substantial:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?...&selected=2752
Old May 11, 2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Possible missing tracks, nothing substantial:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?...&selected=2752
Thanks. Indeed, this isn't anything to sweat over obviously, which is why I found the quote on wikipedia to be so odd. Everything I want access to is on there so I - and I'm sure most others - will be good.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 11:41 AM

Does anyone know if the Nintendo Switch remake will have a formal digital or physical soundtrack release? Does Square Emix or Nintendo own the phonographic copyright for the audio?
Old Sep 8, 2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotearoa View Post
Does anyone know if the Nintendo Switch remake will have a formal digital or physical soundtrack release? Does Square Emix or Nintendo own the phonographic copyright for the audio?
I don't know if that's even been revealed yet. Heck, I don't even think we know if Shimomura is back or not.

But I have to say 1) it's Nintendo 2) it's a somewhat of a miracle were even getting this game to begin with, so I wouldn't get your hopes up
Old Sep 8, 2023, 04:21 PM

Default She's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
I don't know if that's even been revealed yet. Heck, I don't even think we know if Shimomura is back or not.

But I have to say 1) it's Nintendo 2) it's a somewhat of a miracle were even getting this game to begin with, so I wouldn't get your hopes up
Apparently, Yoko Shimomura is returning as the composer-- https://www.siliconera.com/yoko-shim...io-rpg-remake/ .

And nintendo has released a trailer with some bits of music-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5PJx7rlds
Old Sep 9, 2023, 01:12 AM

Since Nintendo is the publisher of the remake, they held the copyright for the music. And lately they are quite inconsistent with late releases: some games having a full or partial physical soundtrack, some having a in-game music player (full or not), others having nothing at not.

Judging the team behind this remake (TOSE and SQEX team affiliated with third party games) and maybe some ex-AlphaDream designers, it would be likely a in-game music player... But if they ever do a physical soundtrack, that would be nice x)
Old Nov 20, 2023, 05:57 AM

Has there been any word of a new soundtrack release? Was hoping there would be some dual release similarly to how the remake for The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening was released with the original and arrangement included.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 06:10 AM

The game has just released, so waiting is our only option ^^'

Plus, Nintendo tend to publish their physical soundtrack a whole year after the game release now, so maybe next year ? (If they ever released it outside the in-game sound player...)
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:50 PM

Also, Nintendo hasn't really been publishing soundtracks lately (except for select properties like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem). No new official Mario, Zelda, or Kirby soundtracks in several years, for instance, not since the early Nintendo Switch era.

I doubt this will be getting an updated OST release.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 01:48 PM

Maybe Basiscape will help out releasing a soundtrack? Some people like Masaaki Kaneko were involved here (as Sound Director for the remake) along with Yoshimi Kudo.

Nintendo really sucks when it comes to soundtrack releases. I'm really surprised they didn't release a Collector's Edition for this new game, with a soundtrack bundled within for example.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 02:13 PM

It might be released by SQEX Music, like Live A Live ? (But it's not the same thing because LAL was a SQEX-only game, which isn't the case here)

We can always dream that, through Nintendo's future partnership with Sony (the Legend of Zelda movie), N will change their minds and allow their soundtracks to be streamed via NexTone or another streaming giant...

(But I highly doubt that would happen ^^')
Old Nov 21, 2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon2010 View Post
We can always dream that, through Nintendo's future partnership with Sony (the Legend of Zelda movie), N will change their minds and allow their soundtracks to be streamed via NexTone or another streaming giant...

(But I highly doubt that would happen ^^')
I highly doubt that will ever happen lol. As long as the old geezers from Nintendo's office hold tight to their strikt policities nothing will change. On one side, I'm happy that this company protects their legacy at any cost, on the other side times have changed and also a traditional company must walk on the road to the future, and not stay on road from long time ago.

Maybe things will change once the younger generation takes over... some day