VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Edits Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 24, 2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
No info on this online. Looks like bootleg.
@Secret Squirrel Hi, i've purchased this in Japan by a friend o'mine which used to work in Konami, do you really think this is a bootleg?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 05:11 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael84 View Post
@Secret Squirrel Hi, i've purchased this in Japan by a friend o'mine which used to work in Konami, do you really think this is a bootleg?
Looking at the images you've provided, unfortunately it seems quite clear that this is not an officially released product. For one the disc arts are all taken directly from previous releases with their original catalog numbers, etc, still present - and the labels look poorly centered on some of the discs. And besides, had such a collection been publicly released we would certainly have known about it already.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 05:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I do think it is a bootleg, or some kind of home-made collection for a number of reasons.
  1. There isn't any information about it anywhere else online (except for the VGMdb page now.) If Konami were to publish something like this, there would be announcements and somewhere to buy it.
  2. The case lacks any copyright information or catalog number/barcode or any of the other standard that you usually see on any Japanese CD or CD set. For example: https://vgmdb.net/album/17063
  3. The discs look almost exactly like their original releases, complete with catalog numbers from the original release instead of a new cat for this release. (I say almost, because there are a few in the second batch you uploaded that have some differences, like including an English title for Symphony of the Night. Ours doesn't have that, though maybe there are some printing variants.) It really looks like a printed label rather than an etched manufactured CD (https://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=303216).