VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 6, 2009, 06:51 AM
VGMdb Staff

Default VGM on SuperAudioCD or DVDaudio format???

Only for curiosity, are there VGM albums released in Japan or in other countries in these two format?
Old May 6, 2009, 07:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There's a few enclosure DVDs containing game music (try searching for the DVD media type from advanced search), but I'm not sure if they're in the DVD-audio format.

As for SACD, these are not game soundtracks per se, but they are game-related in some way. I haven't come across any other SACD releases.

[KIGA-1] Yumeji / Suara (SA-CD)
[KIGA-2] Pure -Aquaplus Legend of Acoustics- (SACD)
[KIGA-3] Taiyou to Tsuki / Suara (SA-CD)
Old May 6, 2009, 10:45 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Dragon Quest VII Orchestra was released on Super Audio CD.

I owned it at one time, but didn't make any scans or such before selling it off or giving it away, oddly I can't remember what the hell happened to it actually...
Old May 7, 2009, 04:13 AM
VGMdb Administrator

While we are thinking about this, let's make a list of the formats that need to be added to the Media field, and I'll add them.
Old May 7, 2009, 04:39 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Are the 3 "Devil May Cry DVD Sound Book" fitting this category ?
(3rd one)
Old May 7, 2009, 11:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I identified 3 Mini-Disc format releases yesterday.
Old May 12, 2009, 03:45 PM

Default 5.1 surround music

I'm most interested in finding 5.1 surround music. The difference between 5.1 surround and stereo is amazing. Listen to Santana's music in 5.1 compared to the stereo versions of the same tracks and it sounds like a different song.

Even though I was unable to finish Star Ocean: The Last Hope due to bugs, there were songs in the beginning of the the game that are 5.1. I put my head up to each of the speakers to make sure. If only there were more video game music in 5.1.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Playing the games themselves is the best way to hear the 5.1 game music for two big reasons.

It's hard enough to get viable sales of game music soundtracks on CD format, much less on standalone surround disc formats that have completely nose-dived commercially.

Last edited by Carl; May 13, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
I'm most interested in finding 5.1 surround music. The difference between 5.1 surround and stereo is amazing. Listen to Santana's music in 5.1 compared to the stereo versions of the same tracks and it sounds like a different song.
To each his own, I guess. I almost never notice a difference even between mono and stereo on my soundtracks. The only 5.1 game soundtrack I have is Nations and I can't say I notice the difference there, either.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:05 AM

Well, I agree that is the case a lot of the time. There's a lot of "upmix" 5.1 DTS CDs out there, where the artist just applied processing to the original stereo track and repackaged it as surround. I can do that with my surround headphones and computer for $25.

There are also CDs where "surround" music is actually recorded from in front of the stage or is poorly mastered. They record the tracks individually and then place them in the channels according to what they think sounds good.

Then there's CDs like Santana's "Supernatural." Listen to it in surround, and it's incredible. It sounds like you're at a concert. There is no comparison to the stereo version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
To each his own, I guess. I almost never notice a difference even between mono and stereo on my soundtracks. The only 5.1 game soundtrack I have is Nations and I can't say I notice the difference there, either.