VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 3, 2019, 06:53 PM

Default The biggest VGM collection out there

Does anyone know where the world's biggest collection of VGM might be? Maybe somewhere in Japan?

There are a few users here with over 5,000 albums in their collections, but those might not be real physical albums.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:36 PM

Can you imagine that must also be the largest bit rot collection in the world!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 01:33 AM

A few months ago, a user listed more than 1,000 Touhou albums in the marketplace, single-handedly increasing the quantity of albums sold on vgmdb by almost 20%. They disappeared shortly after. Change of mind? Or a mistake in album organising?

Has there been any confirmed reports of VGM bit rot? I may have one or two albums like that but I can't tell if it's bit rot or just plain standard scratches.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 09:48 AM

I have never seen bit rot first hand. Only once have I experienced a disc not playing a certain track due to a scratch (it was track 10 on Street Fighter II Alph Lyla with Yuji Toriyama). I have had many problems with burned media, but that's to be expected.

I would suspect that if anyone can build the largest soundtrack collection, it would be the youtuber The Last Gamer. He seems to have the space and the resources to make it happen. For logistical reasons, until some maniac like The Last Gamer tries to set another record, the largest collection is probably somewhere in Japan.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 06:16 PM

From what I've read, bit rot seems to have more to do with being recorded on inferior quality discs than anything else. I have several albums that are 30+ years old and they still play perfectly.

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 14, 2019 at 04:02 AM.