VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:06 PM

You can hear 6 of the tracks on the official website, http://social.gust.co.jp/sophie/ .

1. starcluster
2. 本の見る夢
3. 木漏れ日のカンパネラ
4. 雲雀東風
5. 白地図をてに
6. おもてなしのひととき
7. Juno
8. Ghost Girl for Sophie
9. 薊蓮花

(track 3 seems like the theme inside your workshop)

edit: nice that the track-list is up. I'm not sure when the 9th sample track was put on the official website, but it's there now, and it sounds great.

Last edited by Wsewolod; Nov 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 09:24 PM
VGMdb Staff

I should say the credits are from yodobashi. Alphabet version for うどんタイマーP can be seen on Soul Kitchen's site if scrolled down to the short "about" part in English (although when the text is copied, it has udon timer P and Udon timer P so heh...)
Old Jan 9, 2016, 04:32 PM
VGMdb Staff

Just a note that Gust logo is not present here and on the vocal album so it seems it can't be used as a label (for these two at least).
http://tp3000p.blogspot.com/2015/11/blog-post.html
http://tp3000p.blogspot.com/2015/11/plachta.html
Old May 23, 2016, 05:17 AM
Trusted Editor

Added the remaining credits from the booklet. Not so sure about that mixing engineer...
Old May 23, 2016, 07:24 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Added the remaining credits from the booklet. Not so sure about that mixing engineer...
Yeah, one character was slightly off.

岡本太郎
岡本太郎
Old May 28, 2016, 12:01 PM
Trusted Editor

There were still some credits missing (sorry, I'm getting sloppy), and I reformatted the notes to fit the layout in the booklet (vocal and BGM track credits split).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 06:20 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'll be attempting an English translation tonight and it will be posted. People with superior translation skills, please work through it for edits. I'll post any challenge translations here on the thread.

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 08:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

dubble post!

Okay, so if very skilled translators could check over the whole thing that'd be awesome. Note that the songs with the suffix "for Sophie" are found elsewhere in the Atelier series, so I used the translations we have on vgmdb from previous games (ex: "Because the Sky is Red" on 213 comes from 104 on Escha/Logy).

Here are a few that I found troubling:

106 とある街の風景~朝~ (and others like it for the different times of day, like 201)

I've rendered "Scenery of That Town"

The part after the "no" is really preference, I think: Scene, Scenery, Landscape, whatever.

"Toaru Machi," however, is really difficult for me. "Toaru" seems to have a lot of meanings. Jim Breen's gives it "according to; reads; reading; is written; says; states" ... if you put it in Google Translate on its own, Toaru just gets rendered with a generic "a" -- and when you put the Machi (town/street/etc) kanji next to it, google goes insane and makes a nonsense phrase. But then I tried in google translate "Toaru Ramza" and they translated it to "That There Is Ramza" -- in other words, "Toaru" is a sort of introductory self-declaration statement, like "This Is" or "I Am" (comedian Demetri Martin does a great bit about the different uses of those phrases on his album "These Are Jokes" ... but that's an aside). Anyway, I know that typically we'd just see "kono" and "sono" for this/that, but I felt semi-comfortable turning Toaru Machi into "That Town." If anyone has more insight or better phrasing, please contribute!

109 いい感じの店長さん

I currently have rendered "The Store Owner of Happy Feelings"

After the "no" we have Tencho-san, which is a manager, shop manager, shop owner, etc. I went with "Store Owner" out of preference, but I suppose it wouldn't have to be the owner.

"i-i-kanji" is an expressive phrase that refers to happy/pleasant/good/nice feelings/vibes/touch etc. So ... get that combo right, and I think we have something. Has anyone seen something like this phrase used in the game's localization? Listening to the song I don't remember if it was only used in one particular shop / situation or if it's the all-purpose shopping music.

110 本の見る夢

Rendered "A Dream to See the Present." This is the #1 result from Google Translate, and after playing with many possible meanings and removing and adding kanji and searching the web to see what phrases are popular, I think this might be ... at least kind of right? It's as if to say "A Dream to See the Future, but *not really* the future, we're gonna limit it to the present."

That said, the "Hon no" beginning ... if that "Hon" were translated as "Book," then we have "A Dream to See the Book" --> and considering the game's (localized) subtitle of "The Mysterious Book" -- well, it has me wondering if that's the context. Anyone?

129 戦下の一撃

Rendered "Low Blow Battle"

The easy part is the first kanji: war, battle, fight, whatever.

The rest of the phrase is very interesting, particularly "Shita no" (Shita might not be the right reading of the Kanji ... it has a variety of distinct meanings). But I saw that in general it means below, under, but could also refer to a dirty joke or "playing dirty." And then the last part can be a blow, a hit, a poke ... some instigating/initiating attack. So I was thinking "Low Blow" or "Below the Belt" in English parlance. Is this on the right track?

205 人形とおじさん

I'm actually listing this one to say I'm very confident in it and requesting it not be changed. I have rendered it "The Doll and the Old Man." The song title is clearly referring to the characters Plachta (doll) and Fritz Weissberg (old man). Fritz is 51 y/o, and Plachta doesn't really refer to him with the endearing term "uncle" in the game as far as I remember ... so I don't think "Uncle" or some other term of endearment would work. "Old Man," as a playful jab, sounds more like the relationship. So please don't mess with that one, I'm quite sure of it.

214 ラ・ブーム

I've rendered this "La Boum" instead of "La Boom," because I'm fairly certain the composer is referencing a French novel which is romanized "La Boum" -- the mere fact that it starts with "La" makes me think "okay, this is kana, but it's for French words, not English words, so we should stick with the title." See here: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83...83%BC%E3%83%A0

229 (and 230) 残香を追って

I very loosely rendered this "Chasing the Lingering Trail." The first two kanji are suggested, when paired, as "Lingering Scent" in Jim Breen and "Substantivity" in Google. The rest of the phrase is safely "Chasing" or "Pursuing." The direction I'm getting from listening to the song and looking at the words, and knowing this is a day/evening song, is that this is a song for a dungeon area where the team is trying to find something that is *on the move* and they must chase/pursue it, hunt it down, capture it, etc. So I went with "Lingering Trail," as if to say, the object of pursuit is leaving a trail for them to follow. What do you think?

301 春風のポーレチカ

I have no godly idea what the hell a porechika (ポーレチカ) is. What I do know is that an arrangement of the song appears on the digital enclosure Yoru no Nai Kuni / Atelier Sophie album: http://vgmdb.net/album/56538 -- and that arrangement is entitled "Porechika de briza de primavara" in those words. And if you translate the rest of the phrase (Romanian or Italian) you basically get "Spring Breeze Porechika." So that's the best I can do. So unless someone knows what the hell a Porechika is, that's as far as we're gonna get.

304 本を読もう!

I get real tripped up over "Hon" because of its wide variety of uses, but I'm erring on the side of "Book" because of the game's plot and central theme. I did "Let's Read the Book!" -- but apparently Google is convinced that somehow there's a "restaurant" in there. I'm not sold on the suggested translation. Please give this one a careful looksy!

311 空の帳に包まれて

It's not "Hon" this time, but the kanji 帳 (Tobari etc) can be Curtain or Book. The "Empty" part is the same kanji I used for "Open Sky" on that one about an open sky ridge. And then that phrase about being wrapped in ... where that fits grammatically in the sentence structure? I have no idea. This one needs help, I'm almost sure I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ramza; Jun 7, 2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:04 PM
VGMdb Staff

NISA is doing a partial soundtrack release (as usual) so you can check it out for some of their solutions. BTW I think there's some kind of separation for Morning/Night/Epilogue tracks from the "base" title but I couldn't quite discern it (in a video I've watched).
Old Jun 8, 2016, 06:47 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
NISA is doing a partial soundtrack release (as usual) so you can check it out for some of their solutions. BTW I think there's some kind of separation for Morning/Night/Epilogue tracks from the "base" title but I couldn't quite discern it (in a video I've watched).
oh hey, thanks for posting the tracklist for the partial! I'll see how it matches up.

So strange ... when it's a 2disc OST NISA prints a 1idsc. So when a 3disc is released, they publish a 2disc. C'mon, just go all the way! :P

(I loved when Square Enix did the full FFVIII and FFXIII-2 in the US. More folks need to get on board with that shiz)
Old Jun 8, 2016, 07:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

HOKAY!

So I was able to match up everything from NISA's localization to this tracklist. I'm actually pretty impressed at how spot-on I was with most of the tracks. The one I was most off on was our good friend "Porechika" -- it was a Nordic word, "Polska," a type of dance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polska_(dance)

The only other one I did poorly on was "Sometime, Somewhere" -- which, in my defense, NISA took some artistic liberty with that one, especially by incorporating new punctuation.

Otherwise, things matched up nicely. Even my concern about the town thing? Our only difference was that I said "That" and they said "the" -- not too shabby!

The only two tracks I couldn't match were the last tracks of each disc, but then I checked the tracklist to the vocal album and realized they were songs unique to the vocal album. So, we're solid.

I would still like for someone to check out my translations, especially of the following (which were not addressed by the NISA publication):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post

110 本の見る夢

Rendered "A Dream to See the Present." This is the #1 result from Google Translate, and after playing with many possible meanings and removing and adding kanji and searching the web to see what phrases are popular, I think this might be ... at least kind of right? It's as if to say "A Dream to See the Future, but *not really* the future, we're gonna limit it to the present."

That said, the "Hon no" beginning ... if that "Hon" were translated as "Book," then we have "A Dream to See the Book" --> and considering the game's (localized) subtitle of "The Mysterious Book" -- well, it has me wondering if that's the context. Anyone?

129 戦下の一撃

Rendered "Low Blow Battle"

The easy part is the first kanji: war, battle, fight, whatever.

The rest of the phrase is very interesting, particularly "Shita no" (Shita might not be the right reading of the Kanji ... it has a variety of distinct meanings). But I saw that in general it means below, under, but could also refer to a dirty joke or "playing dirty." And then the last part can be a blow, a hit, a poke ... some instigating/initiating attack. So I was thinking "Low Blow" or "Below the Belt" in English parlance. Is this on the right track?

205 人形とおじさん

I'm actually listing this one to say I'm very confident in it and requesting it not be changed. I have rendered it "The Doll and the Old Man." The song title is clearly referring to the characters Plachta (doll) and Fritz Weissberg (old man). Fritz is 51 y/o, and Plachta doesn't really refer to him with the endearing term "uncle" in the game as far as I remember ... so I don't think "Uncle" or some other term of endearment would work. "Old Man," as a playful jab, sounds more like the relationship. So please don't mess with that one, I'm quite sure of it.

214 ラ・ブーム

I've rendered this "La Boum" instead of "La Boom," because I'm fairly certain the composer is referencing a French novel which is romanized "La Boum" -- the mere fact that it starts with "La" makes me think "okay, this is kana, but it's for French words, not English words, so we should stick with the title." See here: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83...83%BC%E3%83%A0

229 (and 230) 残香を追って

I very loosely rendered this "Chasing the Lingering Trail." The first two kanji are suggested, when paired, as "Lingering Scent" in Jim Breen and "Substantivity" in Google. The rest of the phrase is safely "Chasing" or "Pursuing." The direction I'm getting from listening to the song and looking at the words, and knowing this is a day/evening song, is that this is a song for a dungeon area where the team is trying to find something that is *on the move* and they must chase/pursue it, hunt it down, capture it, etc. So I went with "Lingering Trail," as if to say, the object of pursuit is leaving a trail for them to follow. What do you think?

304 本を読もう!

I get real tripped up over "Hon" because of its wide variety of uses, but I'm erring on the side of "Book" because of the game's plot and central theme. I did "Let's Read the Book!" -- but apparently Google is convinced that somehow there's a "restaurant" in there. I'm not sold on the suggested translation. Please give this one a careful looksy!

311 空の帳に包まれて

It's not "Hon" this time, but the kanji 帳 (Tobari etc) can be Curtain or Book. The "Empty" part is the same kanji I used for "Open Sky" on that one about an open sky ridge. And then that phrase about being wrapped in ... where that fits grammatically in the sentence structure? I have no idea. This one needs help, I'm almost sure I'm wrong.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:10 PM
VGMdb Staff

"Sometime, Somewhere" is also from the vocal album (track 6 there) so don't worry, bring your translation back for that one track (goddamntherhyme).

Just to add it's not only localized as Mysterious Book, the Japanese premium editions of the game carried the same title in English (before any localization of course).
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1411_.jpg

Gust seems to be staying with the mysterious theme seeing the next game (Atelier Firis) will probably be "Mysterious Journey" in English.

Last edited by Efendija; Jun 9, 2016 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 01:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
"Sometime, Somewhere" is also from the vocal album (track 6 there) so don't worry, bring your translation back for that one track (goddamntherhyme).

Just to add it's not only localized as Mysterious Book, the Japanese premium editions of the game carried the same title in English (before any localization of course).
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1411_.jpg

Gust seems to be staying with the mysterious theme seeing the next game (Atelier Firis) will probably be "Mysterious Journey" in English.
Thanks for the catch!!!

Could someone else take a look at the tracks I flagged as "challenge translations" please? would appreciate it!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 03:19 PM
VGMdb Staff

Here goes... some suggestions.

'Book' for の見る夢, album http://vgmdb.net/album/56538 has the last track as an arrangement of this one and the title change is from book to an e-book / publication (電気書籍の見る夢).

If we do lock 残香 as zankou, lingering scent seems fine, 香 alone can mean incense, perfume, makes sense. In the end, it's really your preference how you want to render it.

帳 is read chou in a register, book sense: denwachou - phonebook, gachou - album. Here, I'm going for tobari reading in which case it can't mean book (I think). Doing 空 as a simple sora - 'sky' and uhhh.... Wrapped in Sky Curtain(s) / Enveloped by the Sky Curtain(s)? Heh.

'Hon o yomou' looks like Let's read a / the book, no problem there.

*I reserve the right to be completely wrong*

Last edited by Efendija; Jun 10, 2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Here goes... some suggestions.

'Book' for の見る夢, album http://vgmdb.net/album/56538 has the last track as an arrangement of this one and the title change is from book to an e-book / publication (電気書籍の見る夢).

If we do lock 残香 as zankou, lingering scent seems fine, 香 alone can mean incense, perfume, makes sense. In the end, it's really your preference how you want to render it.

帳 is read chou in a register, book sense: denwachou - phonebook, gachou - album. Here, I'm going for tobari reading in which case it can't mean book (I think). Doing 空 as a simple sora - 'sky' and uhhh.... Wrapped in Sky Curtain(s) / Enveloped by the Sky Curtain(s)? Heh.

'Hon o yomou' looks like Let's read a / the book, no problem there.

*I reserve the right to be completely wrong*
Incredible find on that arrangement that renames the track from book to e-Book/publication. That definitely locks in a meaning. I'm going with "Dream to See the Book" on that.

I've changed to Lingering Scent as you suggested.

I'm going with "Wrapped in Curtains of Sky" -- which sounds a little weird, but I think it also sounds poetic, and I think it fits the structure of the Japanese track name better? Maybe? Let me know.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to add this English tracklist as it stands to RPGFan. If anyone sees areas for improvement, please go for it!

(I'm taking on that 8 disc Steins;gate box set next, since I just got it in the mail... I'll be going back and forth between the source release and the box set, trying to get consistent English tracklists. Cool? Cool.)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:01 PM

is the ost even good
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:56 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
is the ost even good
There are like 50 Youtube rips out there, in case you want to check it out.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
... I'm going with "Dream to See the Book" on that.

very funny, ramza but you are not serious when you say that, right?
it's like translating kimi no iru machi by town to be you (that has no sense)

I suggest something more sensical like the dream of a book
and don't scare me like that because that translation is too scary
Old Jun 13, 2016, 01:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
very funny, ramza but you are not serious when you say that, right?
it's like translating kimi no iru machi by town to be you (that has no sense)

I suggest something more sensical like the dream of a book
and don't scare me like that because that translation is too scary
I think I was getting caught up with Vision/See as a separate verb when "Dream" was already a separate kanji. I didn't see the possibility of combining them into a sort of verb/noun gerund as you've suggested in "Dream of a Book" -- which, after looking at the Japanese again, makes a lot more sense, especially since I flipped subject and object (in your example of "town to be you"). I'm going to make the edit, and thank you so much for taking a look at it Phono!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:

214 ラ・ブーム

actually I think that that "la boum" is the title of the french movie, why?
because of Cliffhanger, La Coccinelle (Herbie), Impromptu, Juno and maybe other tracknames
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

Updated several English track titles according to Acttil's localization (the company Koei Tecmo hired for Sophie and a few other Atelier games).