VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 8, 2010, 09:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Track 33 (the original of 'The Place I'll return to someday' / 'A Place to Call Home') is not in the game. Added original work.

Last edited by Nisto; May 8, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:37 AM

This isn't actually what I came here to post about, but that last track, FU-RU-SA-TO, is an arrangement of the main theme, whose melody is in about a dozen tracks on the soundtrack. Definitely not original work.

Anyway, something's bugging me about this CD. It's probably stupid, but... is there some kind of a reprint of this CD? Here we have our scan of the back:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=143

And here we have a scan of the back I found somewhere else:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8...sttrayback.jpg

There are various differences. Most noticeably, the barcode has moved from the bottom to the top, and the text over it is now under it. Our scan also says TPCD 0201-2 while the other says TP CD 0201-2. And, our scan has the Tokyopop logo in the spines while the other doesn't. There could be other differences I'm not pointing out. So, does anyone know if this one had some kind of reprint, or which version came first?

EDIT: The CD's different as well.

Ours:
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=141

Other:
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/7374/ubestcd.jpg

At the bottom, ours has the Tokyopop logo with TOKYOPOP®, while the other one has TOKYOPOP Soundtrax, without the logo or the ®. I searched the rest of the album for differences, but couldn't find any.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 12, 2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think the print you've found is an older release. Looking at newer prints made by Tokyopop, you can see that they've discarded the "soundtrax" part of their logos - which are present on all of the scans you found.

EDIT: But maybe I am wrong. It seems to be really mixed up...

Last edited by Nisto; Dec 12, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:48 AM

It's not something we'd add a new entry for, is it? Doesn't seem like it but I'm not sure.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:51 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

It's not worth a new entry because the catalog number and the barcode is the same, though it's worth a mention on the board or as alternate scans why not.

I don't know if that's a typo but on the back cover submited by Hellacia, i read ToPyopop. (on the sides)
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:38 PM

See, that's so crazy and it's like I said, there could be other differences that I wasn't pointing out. Never noticed that very funny typo

Anyway thanks Myrkul, thought it was worth a mention here if nothing else. And... nothing else.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:00 PM

it could be a bootlegger?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:49 PM

Daryl's Library doesn't mention anything. It's not some official source or anything, though it is a fairly comprehensive source of Final Fantasy soundtracks, cataloging both legitimate releases and bootlegs. That entry notes the spelling error and lists the catalog number with the space, TP CD 0201-2, and there's no mention of the alternate artwork.

But with the way bootleggers work here in the US, I wouldn't be surprised. Rather than start their own company, they're more interested in making something look like a legitimate release than making it look like their own release. Still, I don't understand why the bootlegger would swap everything around like this. That would be a giveaway.

Maybe it is like Nisto said and Tokyopop basically reprinted this.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This could be a difference between the first pressing and later pressings. We've seen a few examples like this before.