VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Upload System 2: Upload Harder

The album scan management page has undergone some changes to bring it up to the standard look and feel of the site. I've also embedded a new uploader script in the page itself, which makes use of the excellent SWFUpload. This means you can now select multiple images in one go using the file browser, and even remove and add images to the upload queue while an upload is running. Try it out via the "Manage Covers" edit menu link -- if all goes smoothly, the old "Add Covers" link will be retired.

Note that this system requires Flash 9 and Javascript to run. The page does fall back to regular HTML upload controls if Javascript is disabled, so you won't lose any functionality.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 05:23 AM

The new uploader is pretty good,very stable.Thanks blah.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:58 AM

Was kinda worried when I saw Flash there (I'm still on dialup) but damn, that thing is fast. Much improved over the old version.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 06:01 PM

Yeah, this is a great improvement and a nice, slick addition to the site. Cheers to the Blah and the team~
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:51 AM

Wow I like this upload system a lot more than the previous one. Thanks Gigablah.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm having some problems uploading from work. Might be due to firewalls, etc. The first time I tried uploading, I had some Windows dialog box prompt me for my username and password to one the machines on my company's network. I cancelled this prompt, and as a result, the uploads failed with "407" errors. The second time I tried, I put in my credentials on the prompt, but the upload just kept processing and never completed. When I tried to cancel all, Firefox crashed.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.3 and Windows XP Pro SP2.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

407 errors have to do with proxy authentication. Flash doesn't really work well with proxies, so you'd have to use the default HTML upload controls. I'll put in a button to switch forms without having to disable Javascript.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It looks like the userlevel isn't carried over into the new flash function, so all of the scans uploaded by trusted/staff end up in the moderation queue. If you are going to upload a lot of scans, and are in one of those two groups, please use the old Ajax uploader for now (which is linked on the page) to make it easier on those who are approving scans in the queue.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Fixed three bugs with the flash uploader: truncated filenames, wrong file permissions and the aforementioned userlevel. Everything should work properly now.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Just a note: the newly released version of Flash (10.x) doesn't seem to work well with Firefox. Specifically, it won't open the dialog box for selecting files. I went back to the latest version of 9.x, and it works fine, so Firefox users might want to hold off on upgrading.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Flash 10 breaks functionality (due to "security" features), but the SWFUpload developers are working on a fix.