VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 11, 2021, 01:17 AM

From what I can tell...

-Every game represented here is a re-print of the previous, most complete soundtrack release.

-Castlevania III's arrange tracks seem to be taken from KICA-1005 (Which would mean track 2 is not an arrangement of Bloody Tears).

-This is the first release of Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness / tracks 11 and 12 for the NES instance of Kid Dracula.

-Castlevania: Dracula X appears to be missing 2 tracks compared to MOND-126. I believe these are tracks 7 and 17 of disc 2, but are not 100% sure.

EDIT: Chronicles' tracklist consists of KMCA-104~5, with tracks 24-27 on disc 2 of KICA-7622~3 added.

Last edited by Damned; Oct 11, 2021 at 02:58 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 06:27 PM

I believe this is the first time the music for Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse has been released as individual tracks, as well as including the NES versions of those tracks as well.

Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX only contains the FDS versions, and those tracks are merged together into a handful of medleys.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 06:45 PM

I hope this means that we finally get a new recording of OG Castlevania without that reverb, am I right guys?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonside View Post
I believe this is the first time the music for Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse has been released as individual tracks, as well as including the NES versions of those tracks as well.
Nope, those were all released digitally and I believe what's going to be included here is the same recordings. It will at least be the first physical release of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
I hope this means that we finally get a new recording of OG Castlevania without that reverb, am I right guys?
I don't think so. As I said above, the others are existing recordings and so is Super Castlevania going by the merged tracks. Aside from first time ever exclusives I don't think we're gonna see any new recordings here.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 05:34 AM

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 06:38 AM

Yeah I got that, just figured as long as I was correcting Moonside I'd shoot down your veiled optimism while I was at it.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:51 PM

I’m happy to pick this and the other set up with the bonus disc since I dont have any castlevania music in my collection, but I noticed that on the Konami website the tracklist has 62 tracks as opposed to what’s here for Disc 1

https://www.konamistyle.jp/products/...duct_id=110091
Old Oct 14, 2021, 06:17 PM

Digital releases don't count IMHO, not unless that storefront offers a lossless option. The Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse soundtrack was also released on vinyl a few years back by Mondo, but vinyl is its own category. As far as CD releases go, this set looks to be a significant improvement over the Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX, at least based on the track list.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 03:50 AM
Trusted Editor

The following arrange tracks from albums that also include soundtrack are missing:
Castlevania - Castlevania (YMCK Swing Mix) (Game Music Encyclopedia Revolution KONAMI Masterpiece CD)
Super Castlevania IV - Super Castlevania IV SNES (Konami) - Stage 1 level 1 (La Compil Player One)
HAUNTED CASTLE - Devil's Castle Dracula (Super Sweep Remix) (HOGC-0015)
All of "Michiru Yamane Autobiographical Music" (GFCA-195~213)
(the arrange track from VX010-J1, despite no track of that name appearing, is one of the DISC 01 arranges)

And the source for every arrange track that's included:
DISC 01
M61~62 - KICA-1005 Akumajo Dracula Famicom Best

DISC 05
M24~25 - LC-1609~10 Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle Original Soundtrack

DISC 06
M26~29 - LC-1609~10 Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle Original Soundtrack

DISC 07
M37~39 - KICA-7942 Akumajo Dracula Mokushiroku Original Game Soundtrack

DISC 10
M21~22 - KMCA-104~5 CASTLEVANIA CHRONICLE AKUMAJO DRACULA Original Soundtrack
M23~26 - KICA-7622~3 Akumajo Dracula X

DISC 11
M45 - KMCA-162 Castlevania: Circle of the Moon & Castlevania: Concerto of Midnight Sun Original Soundtrack

DISC 12
M27 - LC-1850 Dracula Densetsu ReBirth & Contra ReBirth Original Soundtrack

Last edited by Elena; Oct 23, 2021 at 04:00 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 06:22 AM

I noticed that the tracklist from Legacy of Darkness is totally out of chronological order, which I can tell from a basic translation. Exept for the ending sequence it appears they just put all tracks randomly on that disc. What were the producers thinking, especially when this game is advertised on the soundtrack's page as "released for the first time on CD"? Stuff like this just sucks ... please correct me if I'm wrong tho.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 02:56 PM

I wonder where they got the music from in the first place. I can't imagine them recording from real hardware or having kept N64 development kits with the original sound data around.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
I wonder where they got the music from in the first place. I can't imagine them recording from real hardware or having kept N64 development kits with the original sound data around.
About this. I kind of wish we could have gotten looped CotM and HoD, but I knew that wasn't going to happen from the outset.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
Could be they planned an album and cancelled it before even announcing it, and thus they already had masters.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 05:14 AM

They don't even have the correct source code of Silent Hill 2. I doubt they have anything like that.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 06:39 AM

YouTube rips with some reverb added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Could be they planned an album and cancelled it before even announcing it, and thus they already had masters.
Could be, though Legacy of Darkness is not as album-worthy, I think. The new music always sounded cheaper and less organic than vanilla Castlevania 64's score to me. Granted, I recently listened to Castlevania 64 and the music quality was worse than I remembered. But still good for the N64 and an inexperienced team.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 07:26 AM

Cool

Still missing the MS-DOS soundtrack. Tsk-tsk XD
Old Dec 15, 2021, 05:57 PM

The Amiga version OST would have been nice to include. Not sure there's a single employee at Konami worldwide that even knows that they released games on PC, Commodore and Amiga at one point. Most if not all conversions were done by Novotrade in Hungary and they weren't pretty.

(the intro song is exclusive to the amiga port and it's pretty cool)
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:38 AM

Yeah, like the R-Type box I think the western micro PC ports weren't included since the Japanese customer base likely has no idea they exist or what those computers are, if the company itself even does.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 01:09 AM

I decided to only buy Black as I'm not into later Castlevania music and I've got the cd with Bloodlines on it, so I can live without Red.

Listening for the first time now, there are sound effects mixed in to the second loop of stage 4 in Castlevania 1. Annoying. Also seems ridiculous to split Castlevania III across 2 discs.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 02:02 AM

this is looking like another botched boxset... sfx in the tracks? that's a bit shocking.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 03:25 AM
Trusted Editor

The music for castlevania seems to be a reprint of the 1990 release yet again. Which I find particularly weird considering Scitron managed to get a perfectly good recording of all of the songs (no sfx or reverb), for Famicom 20th Anniversary Original Sound Tracks Vol. 3.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoW View Post
The music for castlevania seems to be a reprint of the 1990 release yet again.
This is what I was afraid of the whole time. Seems like Konami just reprints those old recordings, which have SFX mixed in with some tracks. Didn't this happen on some other album as well? Maybe the box set 10 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoW View Post
Which I find particularly weird considering Scitron managed to get a perfectly good recording of all of the songs (no sfx or reverb), for Famicom 20th Anniversary Original Sound Tracks Vol. 3.
I don't find it weird, but I do find it sad. Scitron probably just did their own recordings, and Konami probably just uses old recordings out of laziness (costs less money) or ignorance (amongst the decision makers in the company regarding soundtrack releases).

Last edited by ShinHarmony; Dec 29, 2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinHarmony View Post
I don't find it weird, but I do find it sad. Scitron probably just did their own recordings, and Konami probably just uses old recordings out of laziness (costs less money) or ignorance (amongst the decision makers in the company regarding soundtrack releases).
Stuff like this makes me angry. Big companies like Konami throw expensive items on the market, where fans get super hyped as their beloved series get some attention, only to be revealed as simple reprints without anything new and only to serve one purpose - make more money. They don't bother to remaster the tracks, no. They use the already released tracks and republish them as boxset. The same way as movies get repacked each year with that "Limited Edition" marketing trick.

Also, is it normal that some tracks have a lot of reverb? Or was it always like this? Especially the NES soundtracks.

What's mostly suck for me is the first half of Disc 8, the Legacy of Darkness soundtrack, which was released for the first time (and even got promoted by Konami on the shop's page) - it's totally out of chronological order, like they threw the tracks just onto that disc without thinking, plus, it even misses some tracks (the new "Maze Garden" theme for example) or tracks are even incomplete (listen to "Outer Wall" (8-02), which had this cool drum loop sample in the game, which isn't present here and it cuts off rather strangely with this wind like noise. Also "Maze Garden Explanation" (8-23) seems to miss the high strings. In general, most of these tracks fade out rather abruptly.

Well, the music is not super great, but as I played these games back then on the N64 (unlike the other NES ones), they stick in my mind and stuff like this really makes me angry.

As for Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance, yep, it's exactly the same as the original release. Two soundtracks pressed on one disc, each track only loops once instead of twice. But instead, we get 4 (!) different versions of one soundtrack (Sota Fujimori's Castlevania Chronicle), exactly like the 2-disc original release. Yay! It sucked the first time, and it sucks again. I guess you really should call it laziness.
Plus, CotM again features this static noise present on the Nintendo Gameboy Advance. There's even a gamerip out there I think which sounds better and where the maker was able to avoid this noise. An ameteur so to say. And this is an official, professional release. Find the mistake.

I didn't get the chance to listen to the other box set yet, but I'm curious how it will turn out, as it features the more modern and recent soundtracks (which probably will be direct reprints of their individual soundtrack releases btw).

Oh, and of course we didn't get any new composer credits with this releases. Why would Konami bother with this #ironyoff

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Dec 30, 2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 06:38 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is value/differences in getting either of these set (red/black) if I already own the Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX from 2010?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBanditking View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is value/differences in getting either of these set (red/black) if I already own the Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections BOX from 2010?
After a quick comparison it looks like the main differences here is that the Kuro boxset has all the Castlevania Chronicles music, a few extra arranged tracks, and full soundtracks for certain titles that only have one disc on the 2010 box (Lament of Innocence, Order of Ecclesia, etc.). Not sure if that warrants doubling up for you but as far as I can tell that's the additional value these sets have over the 2010 box. The only Castlevania CDs I owned before I got these boxsets are Dracula Battle I and II so there's a lot of value here for me as I sold off all my Castlevania albums years ago. I've spent the past few days digging in to the Kuro box for hours at a time and haven't even unwrapped the Aka set yet.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBanditking View Post
Well, as the name implies, the Akumajo Dracula Best Music Collections Box features is a kind of "Best of" album, with a maximum of one disc per game. With these recent boxes, you get the complete soundtracks for most of the games, which had a double-disc original soundtrack release back then, like Zane already pointed out in the previous post. I think the recent boxes are better organized and feature a more complete musical experience than the previous box.

However, if you own the original soundtrack releases, I would stick to them as all of these discs are reprints of excisting Konami releases. It's only worth if you don't have any of these in your collection or aim for a more complete collection than the Best Music Box.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 05:01 AM

The two new boxes aren't equal though. Kuro contains almost all of the exclusives the Best Music Box had plus a few others and is far more worth it for people who skipped that set in favor of the individual releases. Aka has most of the 2-disc stuff that was cut from Best Music Box and is more worth it for people who opted to get that instead of the individual releases.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 04:09 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Surprised noone has bothered with en english tracklist yet, is anyone up to it? I don't know the series nearly enough to try myself (i may do the album credits when i find time)
Old Jan 9, 2022, 04:14 PM
Trusted Editor

Someone on MusicBrainz put up a translated tracklist for Kuro but not Aka. Can't say how accurate it is myself though: https://musicbrainz.org/release/ab40...c-6b166439888f