VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The orchestra and sample credits for this and the companion album are from the game credits.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The title in the front scan uses "Soundtrack", but in the obi and the back it's "Sound Track", so I think we should use that (to match vol.2) or at least add it as an alternate title. Vol.2 uses "Sound Track" everywhere though we have "Soundtrack".

I wanted to ask if that's ok before editing anything because I saw the change already rejected.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

You can change it indeed, last time I rejected the removal of "Drakengard" as alternate title but it also reverted it back to "Soundtrack".
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:32 PM

I'll just post about this one so the staff doesn't think I'm crazy: the change I made is fixing the symbol ニ changing it to 二. The first is "ni" and the second is "fu" which is the number. Kind of strange how this could ever happen since you could even just copy and paste the character onto the second track, but Amazon has this typo so I think this tracklist was just a copy-paste from there.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:39 PM

Is there a list somewhere of the tracks that sampled which classical piece? I'm mostly interested in knowing where Second Chapter is from, but it would still be cool to know the rest.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:32 AM

As far as I know no one has tried to really do this. If you do enough searching you'll find the odd post citing a discovery, but I don't think a comprehensive list exists.

However, I've wanted to do this for a long time and even started a text file documenting some that I noticed, but I didn't get very far. One thing to note is that the samples used are mostly variable in each track; in other words, I don't think any single track samples just one classical work. Sano, for example, uses what I'm pretty sure is a recognizable chord from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring in several of his tracks.

So... who wants to collaborate?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

^^^^^^ Yeah, there's nothing official AFAIK, just the overall list of sampled works in the game and SQEX re-rerelease and nothing at all in this album (and I assume Vol. 2). Unless there's an interview with Sano or Aihara where they talk about some specific pieces, I think you're on your own.

Good luck!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:31 AM

Well, in any event, I have a suggested method for anyone who wants to help. I'm definitely going forward with this, it's been too long in the making. Before that, however, there's some other considerations to take into account:

MINIGAME MUSIC
I use the word "minigame", and it's a bit deceptive, but I can't think of anything better. At several points in the story, the player's perspective will suddenly switch to an overhead view where they must navigate Caim in a quasi-on-rails line toward a goal, fighting off enemies along the way. While combat remains the same, the perspective and path make these sections feel fundamentally different from the main chapter battles on the ground. These "minigame" sections mostly feature the music used in the main chapter battles, but often they are shorter cuts of the music (looped) or modified in some other way. Hence, the music is technically different from what's on the OST.

CUTSCENE MUSIC
Drakengard's cutscenes, either in-game or CG, often have different music than what's used in the main chapter battles. Click here for an example of a compilation of cutscenes from the game (this is just the first part).

HIDDEN AUDIO FILES
In addition to the above, there are completely unused tracks that are not on the OST. Click here for a playlist of the four known files. It's unknown whether there are more.

REGARDING SAMPLE USE
One tricky thing about this soundtrack (really it's the brilliance of it) is the use of the samples. As I noted earlier, very few tracks use just one classical source. And the way the sources are used can be either really obvious or extremely obscure. Anyone can hear those Stravinsky chords as they are used mostly unmodified; but did you notice the Tchaikovsky wind chords in Chapter 11? Even a Tchaikovsky expert might not notice right away, because the sample is changed ever-so-slightly to produce a qualitatively different phrase of music. The whole thing is just genius, if you ask me.

Anyway, for anyone that might like to help, here's my suggested method: become intimately familiar with the Drakengard OST. Hearing the repeated samples over and over will really drill them into your head and will make them much easier to recognize. Then, have a listen to your classical piece of choice from the list provided in the OST notes/game credits. Chances are you'll pick up on something pretty quickly. If you think you recognize something but can't quite put your finger on it, feel free to post the Drakengard track and the classical source you are listening to.
Quote:
Antonin Dvorak: Othello, Op. 93 / Carnival Overture, Op. 92 / Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"
Bela Bartok: The Miraculous Mandarin
Claude Debussy: La Mer
Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 5
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Le Nozze Di Figaro
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: The Swan Lake / Capriccio Italien / The Nutcracker Suite / 1812 Overture Solennelle / Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture
Ottorino Respighi: Feste Romane
Richard Wagner: Gotterdämmerung / Die Walküre / Tannhäuser
Modest Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Gustav Holst: The Planets
Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol
While it actually seems like a pretty small list, be aware that the Mozart and Wagner works cited are all Operas, which tend to run 3+ hours. I've heard all at some point but need to go back, because there's a lot of material to sift through. The Mozart should be easy to identify, but Wagner... well, the last time I listened through Gotterdammerung nothing stuck out as being from Drakengard. However, Wagnerian opera does have a tendency to numb the senses after about the second hour or so, so repeated listens will be necessary. If anyone's especially fond of Wagner then by all means, have at it.

In the short-term, strugglepoo, I'll try to make Chapter 2 a priority so your question can be answered.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:20 AM

This is a great soundtrack. It's been quite a while since I'd heard any of it, but thanks for bringing the topic up again.

I can bet that samples from Gotterdammerung and Walkurie will be from the most famous orchestral excerpts, so you should check these out before listening to the 4+ hour-long operas (which even I, as a huge Wagnarian, don't want to hear all the time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4Iuxy0X4I (Funeral of Siegfried from Gotterdammerung, ripped off for Zimmer's Gladiator score.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU (I don't need to tell anyone what this is.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CxaCtJAY58 (End of Die Walkurie, minus the singing.)

Tannhauser I'm not as familiar with, but check out the overture first, as it's often played by itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyj856BtWY

As for the Second Chapter, I don't know based on a cursory listen. In the Sky part, I think I can hear bits of the Bartok in there, and those descending string runs sound like The Planets.

Another observation: Seere's Prayer - In the Sky is comprised primarily of bits from Dvorak's "New World" Symphony.

Also, I'm sure that the list of sampled works is incomplete, as there's a sample used in Sixth Chapter Sky that's without any doubt from Igor Stravinsky's Petrushka.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Nov 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:11 PM

I never knew that this soundtrack is comprised of a bunch of classical music samples... and maybe that explains why it's one of my least favorite soundtracks. I certainly not saying I don't like classical music, but chopping a bunch of songs up and synthesizing the bits together to make a new song is just really weird, and there always seemed to be something... choppy about the music to me. It's a neat idea and something you wouldn't expect, but to me it makes the quality of the finished products very strange.

A technical question about our entry: why is the Tokyo New City Orchestra credited as featured? The original composers should be featured, but the Tokyo New City Orchestra played the samples for the soundtrack, right? Or is that not the case?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The ending has a work list, pretty much Jormungand's list (also watch the whole thing from the beginning for hilarity's sake).

Another missing track is the US ver. of "Exhausted" (from vol.2) called "Growing Wings".

I find the music incredible and really fitting the game, which is very chaotic and bleak (it's one of those hack-and-slash vs whole armies games ala Dynasty Warriors). The choppiness is very much intentional, I'd say.
The orchestra is featured since the performance was used indirectly, I guess? (also called "Harddisk Symphony Orchestra" in the staff roll, heh)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Also, I'm sure that the list of sampled works is incomplete, as there's a sample used in Sixth Chapter Sky that's without any doubt from Igor Stravinsky's Petrushka.
Yeah, it's incomplete. Honegger's Pacific 231 (chapter 8) is also absent from the credits. I wonder what else is missing?

Regarding the use of the orchestra samples, I have two theories:
1) Sano collected a bunch of recordings from TNCO, Cavia purchased the rights to use them, and he and Aihara proceeded to choppity-chop-chop the samples.

2) Sano got in on TNCO studio sessions and had them play specific sections from the original sources.

I don't know which is more likely, or more cost-effective. I do know that Sano is a genius for having come up with the idea, and in the process basically created a totally new art form. Sure, sampling of various kinds has been going on for decades since recordings have been around, but not to this degree. No to the degree of building an entire score around orchestral samples. I was so inspired I started a project of my own... it's incredibly fun, challenging, and rewarding. Can't wait to release it.

Quote:
As for the Second Chapter, I don't know based on a cursory listen. In the Sky part, I think I can hear bits of the Bartok in there, and those descending string runs sound like The Planets.
I don't think there's anything from Holst in Chapter 2. Actually the Planets citation is the one that has plagued me the most, as it's the work I am most familiar and know it from beginning to end by heart. Yet, despite repeated listens to the Drakengard OSTs (and hours sunk into the game), any reference to Planets evades me.

Also, after having listened to Miraculous Mandarin, I didn't hear anything that immediately sounded like it belonged in Chapter 2. However I did discover a low string motive that's used in Chapter 5. Also, it's possible the opening string phrases (the fast slides, they sound like waves) are those heard in Chapter 6 Ground.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
I'm certainly not saying I don't like classical music, but chopping a bunch of songs up and synthesizing the bits together to make a new song is just really weird...
Ever heard of the relationship between Hip-Hop and Jazz/Funk? Sampling has been a part of music for quite a while now. Sampling classical music is a bit uncommon, but certainly not unheard of. The Beatles did it back in the 60s for Tomorrow Never Knows and Revolution 9.

I'm impressed here not with the technique used, but how well I think the result came out. Dag stressed how well it fits the atmosphere of the game, and it certainly does, but I think it stands on its own just fine. You're right that it has an "unnatural" and "choppy" sound, but that's part of the appeal. I also find it interesting that relatively well-known pieces of the standard repertoire were used, rather than modernist atonal music, but I suppose that, requiring less manipulation to achieve the right sound, that would be much less creative and interesting.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:16 PM

Oh yeah, I know sampling has been used for a long time now, but sampling an entire song from many little bits of other songs is still strange regardless of how long people have been doing it. I won't argue that it doesn't fit the game or that how it came out wasn't intentional (it being "choppy" or whatever else), I can just comment that I only like about 3 songs across both the volumes. Also, you can argue anything was "intentional" but that doesn't mean the sound intended is pleasing. I could slam on 9 different and random piano keys every 2 seconds for a minute and a half and then argue that "it was intentional, I achieved what I tried to do, you can't say my music wasn't technically accurate, and that's part of the appeal", but it still will not be appealing. I understand that's not at all what went on here and I don't mean to compare this soundtrack to something done like that, but I just make the point that, intentional or not, it can be displeasing.

I give credit for a unique idea and perhaps it was done as well as it could be done, but I can just find really no pleasure in these mashups. But I suppose everyone is going to come across something they dislike.

Last edited by Mortavia; Nov 7, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post
Oh yeah, I know sampling has been used for a long time now, but sampling an entire song from many little bits of other songs is still strange regardless of how long people have been doing it. I won't argue that it doesn't fit the game or that how it came out wasn't intentional (it being "choppy" or whatever else), I can just comment that I only like about 3 songs across both the volumes. Also, you can argue anything was "intentional" but that doesn't mean the sound intended is pleasing. I could slam on 9 different and random piano keys every 2 seconds for a minute and a half and then argue that "it was intentional and that I achieved what I tried to do and you can't say my music wasn't technically accurate", but it still will not be pleasing to the ear. I understand that's not at all what went on here and I don't mean to compare this soundtrack to something done like that, but I just make the point that, intentional or not, it can be displeasing.
You're right, of course, that it's a matter of taste. Feel free to dislike it as much as you want. I just felt like explaining what the rest of us here liked about it.

Maybe "pleasing" isn't the right word. It is certainly (to those of us who enjoy it) interesting, and I personally find it exciting. I find "Random piano keys" to be neither.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:32 PM

No, random piano keys are terrible! This soundtrack isn't comparable to that, not at all. And I wouldn't wonder how somebody could like this soundtrack, because I know people like all sorts of stuff - there is somebody out there who likes Crazy Bus! But that person is just not me, ahaha.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:47 PM

That's painful. But I think it was programmed rather than composed. Math (and/or programming) buffs, for some reason, are drawn like moths to a flame when it comes to experimenting with music and sound...

I agree with the above discussion: the music fits the seriously twisted game remarkably well. It's the perfect underscore to
Spoiler:
a blood-lusting antihero's journey across a stark and dying landscape, slaughtering anyone and anything at all remotely connected to the Empire. Joining him is a six year old boy who will never age, a psychotic elf-woman who eats babies, and a blind man who likes little boys (a lot). Oh, and they're all after the kid's twin sister, who, due to severe neglect and abuse by her mother, was left vulnerable to possession by millennia-old demon-cultists who, using the girl's body as an avatar, convince our violent antihero's born-again-Goddess-sister to kill herself because of her incestuous feelings for Caim. And that's just one of the endings.

The ending linked to by Dag is the fifth and last ending, and is at once abruptly hilarious and chillingly tragic. It's also the ending that produces the future around which Nier takes place.

You can see why music director Nobuyoshi Sano had to think outside the box to do the job right.

I wonder, Mortavia, how do you feel about Track 2? It's one of the tracks that is so masterfully constructed it almost sounds like a single and self-consistent piece of music ("normal", if you will), with only a few giveaways that it's a composite. I've got to find out where that clarinet solo is from..
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:42 PM

Yeah! I like track 2 from this CD. And I like Chapter 13 from Vol.2, the final battle with the rings, the bell song (I'm being lazy and not looking an names / tracks, I hope it's Chapter 13). I really, really like Chapter 13 actually, for some reason the sequence of the bells just tickles me. But yeah, Weapon Select was good the first time I heard it in the game, I knew I liked it.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:17 PM
VGMdb Advisor

By the way, here is an excerpt from an interview with the Korg DS-10 team where Sano talks about the Drakengard soundtrack.
Quote:
GSW: The amount of interest that listeners have expressed in your music with Takayuki Aihara for Drakengard appears only to have increased with time. What was the kernel of the idea behind it and do you have any interest in taking this unique musical experiment further in the future?

Sano: In a way, I was interested in working on a musical concept I had heard explored by the Chemical Brothers. They had used the sounds of the guitar and reconstructed it through techno. Quite often you find that the use of the guitar is implicitly prohibited in techno. Observing this idea, I thought about applying a techno design to reconstructing orchestral music.

The game Drakengard revolved around the concept of the player being overwhelmed by opponents that must be defeated, complemented by a storyline that grows chaotically out of proportion as it progresses. I tried to express that in the music, but for the player that expected a traditional RPG music style, it was disappointing. They complained of it being repetitive and grating. Some of the criticism was, let's say, very harsh.

However, more recently I have begun to receive a number of positive comments from listeners, as you just mentioned. Although the soundtrack is still rather niche, it is gratifying to see more and more game players' opinions resonating with the composers' original intentions. For my own personal feelings, I still like the originality and the intensity of the music. If someone were to ask me to return to this style, especially if it were for a film score, I'd put everything else on hold and focus all of my attention on it. It's gratifying to have the chance to talk about the soundtrack again, since it has after all received negative feedback in certain circles.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:11 PM

I would describe this soundtrack as experimental and interesting. If you're kinda prepared for it than it works, if not than it sounds like chopped up mess. Certainly not for everyone to listen outside the game, but I do find it to be enjoyable, maybe because I can usually appreciate the horror soundtracks and what they try to achieve. It isn't even meant to be a horror soundtrack but it gets rather distorted and creepy, and like Jormungand said, is very suitable for the game.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:03 PM

I happened to come across something absolutely definitive. The harp bit (and the chord accompanying it) in the mission complete theme is taken from the very beginning of Debussy's La Mer, second movement.
Old May 23, 2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
I happened to come across something absolutely definitive. The harp bit (and the chord accompanying it) in the mission complete theme is taken from the very beginning of Debussy's La Mer, second movement.
Yes, this was an early find for me as well. It's also the basis for Chapter 10 In the Sky.

I've been quite lazy and not been compiling the list as I had planned. Hopefully this summer...
Old May 23, 2013, 03:24 PM

That's kinda cool. Interesting trivia.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Sano, for example, uses what I'm pretty sure is a recognizable chord from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring in several of his tracks.
Takayuki Aihara also.

I just watched Magic In The Moonlight where in the first scene at 1:40 Allen uses The Rite Of Spring: The Adoration Of The Earth: The Augurs Of Spring and I was instantly like "I've heard this before!". It's in 09 - Third Chapter - Ground here, by Aihara; I didn't expect not to find it in the notes.

The Rite Of Spring: The Sacrifice: Sacrificial Dance (The Chosen Victim) is used in 01 - Mission Select.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 08:47 PM

How come In the Sky and On the Ground were changed to just Sky & Ground? Considering that one of the BGM Remix Packs for Drakengard 3 translated "セエレの祈 上空" as "Seere's Prayer: In the Sky" wouldn't it make more sense to use the original translations that were listed?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 09:02 PM

Man, it bums me out that the composer and developers got so many negative comments about this soundtrack. The other two are decent, but severely lack the punch this one has and I wish they hadn't felt so pressured to change the composer and sound direction.

Good music isn't obligated to be pleasant. There are complex responses music can trigger beyond appealing to base emotions like excitement or sadness. This soundtrack puts me on edge in a way few others do, which is why I still find myself coming back to it.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:37 PM

I was excited to finally play this game, only to find out it's extremely meh. I don't even remember the music.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:48 PM

Personally, the first Drakengard is by far my favorite one, unless we're also counting NieR Gestalt.
The gameplay isn't great, but that stands true for the whole series. Despite that it's by far the most bizarre and out there of the games and has one of the most unique soundtracks I've ever heard.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jan 1, 2021 at 10:50 PM.